Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a Benchmade HK Turmoil at a gun show. Before that I thought I had enough knives, but I've been thinking about getting one ever since. I have arthritis in my fingers and always use assisted opening knives. I have always felt that I could justify carrying these types of knives because I have great difficulty opening any non assisted knife. The guy selling the OTF said it was absolutely legal in Ohio.

After reading up on Ohio law, which is confusing to the max, I think it's legal to own, but not always legal to carry. I can't make heads or tails out of the law, which seems to suggest that any knife can be considered a concealed dangerous weapon depending on the situation.

I am approaching 70 so I'm not the type to get into knife fights or disobey reasonable and clear laws. I CCW. I just like knives and use them.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated.

Also, Benchmade also makes an Infidel in OTF for almost twice the money. Any comparison between these two blades would be appreciated.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like Ohio depends on case law and intent more than a straightforward statute; this is usually a reliable website, for that it's worth:

Ohio Knife Laws | KnifeUp

Larry
Thanks, Larry. I read that. It's as clear as mud. Maybe my question should be is an OTF knife considered a switchblade. Those are illegal if my understanding is correct.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks, Larry. I read that. It's as clear as mud. Maybe my question should be is an OTF knife considered a switchblade. Those are illegal if my understanding is correct.
I'm not an attorney, or an Ohio LEO, but I was an Illinois LEO for some years; an OTF was certainly a 'switchblade' under IL laws.

Larry

·
Registered
131 Posts
I live in ohio and carry a pocket knife in case I would have to cut a seat belt to get a person out of a burning car.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
It's considered an automatic. Switchblade and automatic are synonymous in about every state.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's considered an automatic. Switchblade and automatic are synonymous in about every state.
It was difficult for me to believe this knife was legal to carry. As I mentioned in my OP, I think it's legal to own and keep in a drawer. That was the technicality the guy selling them was promoting. One of the gifts of psoriatic arthritis is that the ends of your fingers gets it the worst. Even though my hands are strong in general, I can't do things like pull protective covers off peanut butter jars, pick up coins off the floor or anything that requires dexterity and the ability to use the ends of my fingers. I have several very nice Swiss army knives but there is no way I can open the blade. I'm saying this because, since the laws in Ohio are so vague and interpretive, I could justify an assisted opening knife as a functional adaptive tool for my disability. I don't think I could convince a court of law that I need a switchblade.

·
Administrator
144,136 Posts
Usually an OTF knife is classed as an automatic knife and any automatic knife is considered to be a switch blade.

·
Administrator
144,136 Posts
I think that many state knife laws remain intentionally vague, grey, and cloudy so as to be used as a law enforcement detaining tool until enough evidence can be gathered to charge a suspect on more serious charges.

I wish state knife laws would get a complete overhaul by lawmakers so that citizens would know exactly what is legal and what is not and why.

Things are pathetic as they are now but, there seems to be almost nil outcry for change and so the topic seems to be in essence totally ignored by lawmakers.

Knife laws are archaic and downright nonsensical in some states and it seems like that will never change.

Your tax dollars hard at work as usual.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Not here in Colorado. A nice Kershaw Blur is not near as expensive as an auto and is truly one hand operational. As easy as an auto to open and a better, sturdier knife than most autos.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Move just slightly south of the Ohio River! In Kentucky, with a concealed permit, auto knives are puuuur-fectly legal to carry. I wouldn't risk it in The Buckeye State. Even if exonerated, you're legal representation will cost a LOT more than...your knife. :yup:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Be sure to try out the OTF before buying it. My Microtech OTF's have pretty stiff slide buttons and are not easy to open/close, with closing taking more strength.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts