Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there carrying this on a daily basis? Your thoughts, reasons, etc...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Everyone has an opinion....mine is the Judge is a poor CCW choice and basically a waste of your hard earned gun dollar. If you want a shotgun get a shotgun. If you want a pistol get a quality handgun, don't buy a big bulky cumbersome gimmick gun. Only thing I can think of it may be good for is a backpack/trail gun or something to keep in your tackle box while fishing, for dealing with snakes and other small critters.

Reactions: Rhinoman

·
Registered
469 Posts
I am inclined to agree with pirate. Ive also fired a judge (friend has one) and TRIED to carry it. I got as far as the car door when I said the hell with this and switched back to my 40. Also in the course of firing it the cylinder hung up 8 times out of about 100 rounds(with both 45LC and .410 shells), comes out to a malf rate of every 12 rounds or so,this is before and after cleaning,even cleaned it AFTER it malfed, same deal, may have just been that particular handgun. It is bulky, cumbersome and a waste. Just my honest opinion and 2 cents worth.

-Steve

·
Registered
66 Posts
The commercials for the judge make it look like the ideal CCW but in the real world you are better off getting something else.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I handled one not too long ago... it was HUGE and what I would be considered a terrible CC gun. If your state had open carry and you wanted to say that you have one - then maybe.

For me it seemed to be a waste.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have had the Judge with the 3" barrel for about a year. It is a great gun for the back door shelf for snakes with the first two .410 and the other three .45. I'll sometimes put it in the truck if I am on my way out at the last minute but then the .45 is rotated up first. With the rifled barrel you can't shoot .410 slugs or shot in a crowd, they spread way too much in a short distance. The grips are comfortable.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The judge looks awesome on paper (well, a paper target), but I really have to wonder about the actual velocity you can get out of such a short barrel...I mean having a few balls of 00 buck bounce off of someone's jacket would be a bit of a disappointment. Does anyone have any info on this?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Box O' Truth is a Bag O' Crap.

I love the OP asks who HAS one and everyone piles on about why it sucks - but doesn't own one.

I owned one, it was a fine piece, for some folks.

Reactions: NewportReds

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

I love the OP asks who HAS one and everyone piles on about why it sucks - but doesn't own one.

+1! I liked mine a lot but I "needed" a PLR-16 more when a deal came along.

·
Registered
990 Posts
My wife got me the "Judge" for my birthday and I like it fine. It's not what I use for CC though - just too big for how I conceal. I use it to supplement my home defenses.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I would think it is a poor choice for CC. Too big and bulky. I also agree it would probably make a good trail, camping gun.

·
Registered
737 Posts

+1 I also own one and have fired 3,000 45 lc rounds and almost as many 410 rounds. It ia an awesome gun, although it would be hard to CC unless it is during the winter and you have plenty of cover!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Never had one so not qualified but I believe that when ever you try to make something/anything "multipurpose" the compromises mean it's no longer the best for any of it's intended purposes. If there's and exception to this it might be the leatherman multi purpose tool I carried on my belt while in the service.

If you want a trail/hunting, hiking gun, get a good revolver like a Ruger SP101 in 3" and load it with .38 shot shells.

In the box of truth piece it showed a snake target they shot and he said it would be good for snakes. I disagree! Notice it only had 2-3 pellets in the entire snake. The shot spread out too fast. Pistol shot isn't breat for snakes but I think .45 ACP snake shot would likely do it! :image035:

I would appreciate the weapon if my wife got it for me but I consider it a novelty weapon albiet a half way decently make novelty weapon.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have a stainless ultra light 3 inch barrel 2 and 1/2 shells, I purchased mine for a console gun for my work van. I travel the whole state of Tennessee and I must say that it is most comforting when I am at a stop light in Memphis to know the judge is with me.

·
Registered
835 Posts
In the box of truth piece it showed a snake target they shot and he said it would be good for snakes. I disagree! Notice it only had 2-3 pellets in the entire snake. The shot spread out too fast. Pistol shot isn't breat for snakes but I think .45 ACP snake shot would likely do it! :image035:
Only 2-3 pellets? Good grief, if someone is going to stand that far away from the snake with the 410, he might as well proceed down the trail and just foreget the snake. Also, if he intends to shoot the .45 ACP snake shot at the same distance as the 410 [the 2-3 shot distance], then I question whether it much damage would be done anyway. In summary: If you are within a reasonably short distance of the snake, then either the 410 or the .45 ACP snake shot should do an adequate job of putting the snake away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a Taurus 4510 to replace the Redhawk I used to bring with me when I was camping. It is smaller and the shot shells make it more useful than the .44s in the Redhawk for anything except Bear, and I never met a Bear in the woods who wanted any part of me. Snakes have, and for them the Taurus is more useful. My .45 LC loads are almost as hot as .44s anyway. But the primary beneficiary of the Taurus have been snakes, and I can assure all that a .410 birdshot is ten times better against serpents than any .44 Magnum.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Only 2-3 pellets? Good grief, if someone is going to stand that far away from the snake with the 410, he might as well proceed down the trail and just foreget the snake. Also, if he intends to shoot the .45 ACP snake shot at the same distance as the 410 [the 2-3 shot distance], then I question whether it much damage would be done anyway.
and why I said the Box o' Truth is a Bag o' Crap.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
+1 I also own one and have fired 3,000 45 lc rounds and almost as many 410 rounds. It ia an awesome gun, although it would be hard to CC unless it is during the winter and you have plenty of cover!
6000 rounds? I was gonna look up the cost of .410 ammo, but I think I'll let it ride.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

You have a point, but I don't have to drive a Yugo to know I don't want to own one either. The OP asked if anyone used one as a CCW gun and there are valid reasons that its not a good pick to do so. I have handled and shot them and as I and others have stated its too big and cumbersome to CC. As a trail gun or truck gun sure if it does it for you. It was fun to play with I will admit.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.