Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My EDC firearm is a Glock-22.

Certain "experts" (who shall remain nameless) :rolleyes: said "we/I recommend alternating cartridges in your magazine, such as:

Hydrashok, Golden Saber, Hydrashok, Golden Saber, and so on with the last three being FMJ-RN

The "experts" reasoning is that most fire fights happen at very close range and the first shot you want to move the BG BACK and the next round you want penetration......move 'em back, penetration, move 'em back, penetration.

anyone else do this or have any comment? or is this a waste of time?

·
Registered
941 Posts
I want to stop the attack the fastest way possible. That means maximum penetration and tissue damage, blood loss, and CNS trauma. With that being said, I carry 147g Hydrashocks. They have great penetration and expand to about an inch in diameter. I see no need to "move em back." A pistol round isn't going to force someone backwards...just not possible.

·
Registered
71 Posts
One once said that a human can be the easiest or hardest "animal" to take down! I would assume that means that if the BG is determined he will most likely keep coming till he can physically no longer keep going. Or he can be submissive and stop immediately to avoid further physical damage.

Ammo choice can make a difference but I believe ultimately the key to "knock-down" power lies in the determination of the BG.

But I'm no expert... that's just my opinion

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One once said that a human can be the easiest or hardest "animal" to take down! I would assume that means that if the BG is determined he will most likely keep coming till he can physically no longer keep going. Or he can be submissive and stop immediately to avoid further physical damage.

Ammo choice can make a difference but I believe ultimately the key to "knock-down" power lies in the determination of the BG.

But I'm no expert... that's just my opinion

excellent observation :bier:

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
My mags stay loaded without any alternation...same stuff...every day.:yup:
I see no need to stagger load types.:nono:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I don't alternate round types in my mags, either.... I think it's best that the so called, "expert remain nameless"...he doesn't sound like much of an expert to me...

·
Registered
545 Posts
I mix FMJ and JHP in .380 only, due to its "iffy" penetration and expansion. Larger than .380 are all JHP. Wouldn't carry smaller than .380.

Bobo

·
Registered
38,097 Posts
My son is part of a navy EOD team and he suggested my Gold Dot-Gold Dot-Ball loads. Rational?--if BG ducks behind cover, the Ball give more penetration. But, to each his own (magazine loads, that is).

·
Registered
420 Posts
My son is part of a navy EOD team and he suggested my Gold Dot-Gold Dot-Ball loads. Rational?--if BG ducks behind cover, the Ball give more penetration. But, to each his own (magazine loads, that is).
A soldier is a lot less likely to have to worry about over penetration (nor does he have a choice in ammo type as far as hollow points are concerned). Also, as unlikely as any of us are to discharge our firearms in anger, we are even less likely to do so in a firefight that requires consideration of shooting someone behind cover. For that matter, shooting someone behind cover opens up all kinds of potential issues.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
In a word of one syllable - NO!

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
My EDC firearm is a Glock-22.

Certain "experts" (who shall remain nameless) :rolleyes: said "we/I recommend alternating cartridges in your magazine, such as:

Hydrashok, Golden Saber, Hydrashok, Golden Saber, and so on with the last three being FMJ-RN

The "experts" reasoning is that most fire fights happen at very close range and the first shot you want to move the BG BACK and the next round you want penetration......move 'em back, penetration, move 'em back, penetration.

anyone else do this or have any comment? or is this a waste of time?
No bullet is going to "move a bad guy back". Look at the thread where shooting bowling pins is discussed, and see how far a .45 moves a 3.5lb pin...how far do you thnk that'll move a 150 pound--or greater--person?

And a well designed, modern JHP should penetrate deeply enough to do damage to vitals.

Your "expert" is full of it, big time.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No bullet is going to "move a bad guy back". Look at the thread where shooting bowling pins is discussed, and see how far a .45 moves a 3.5lb pin...how far do you thnk that'll move a 150 pound--or greater--person?

And a well designed, modern JHP should penetrate deeply enough to do damage to vitals.

Your "expert" is full of it, big time.
well? thats kind of why I asked :bier::blink::yup::image035:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts