Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently obtained a Ruger Speed Six .357. I haven't seen a Ruger Speed/Security Six in years. I have owned a few SP101's and other revolvers as well. My Speed Six has the 2.75" barrel. It is a little larger than the SP and smaller than the GP. I find it to be the perfect carry revolver. Anyone else carry a Speed Six?

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's a little too big for me to carry,
but it's the go to gun in my house,
loaded with Buffalo Bore 158 +P's
and has Pachmayr Compacs on it.
Mine is the stainless steel 357.
Ruger made a spurless hammer
that makes the gun double action only.
Very easy to drop in if you want
or could get one.
I don't think you'll find a better, stronger
or more reliable gun for your intended use.
I bought mine in February 1981.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ocasionally carry mine. SS and a little heavy for me.

However, I feel that this is one of the best designed, built and most dependable revolvers out there.

As with Coach, mine is in my "go" bag.

Only wish it was .357 rather than .38 spec.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I carry an SP-101 often, and that seems to be at the limit in size of what I like to carry.

·
Super Moderator
18,744 Posts
If I was going for a Ruger DA revolver, the Speed Six or the Security Six would be my choice. I ought to avail myself of at least one example in the firearms menagerie.

I didn't realize the Speed/Security Six was smaller than the GP 100.

Reactions: Rigrat

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
If I was going for a Ruger DA revolver, the Speed Six or the Security Six would be my choice. I ought to avail myself of at least one example in the firearms menagerie.

I didn't realize the Speed/Security Six was smaller than the GP 100.
Yes. The Security Six would compare to a K Frame S&W while the GP100 would compare to an L Frame.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I don't own one; I think they are sweet 6-shooters. I'd love to get one in 9mm; but they are rare and if one was to be found...expensive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The SP101 that I owned had a stiff, gritty trigger pull. The Speed Six is smooth and buttery, not much difference if any than a S&W K frame's trigger pull. My Speed Six is a 1988, last year of production. I don't know how many rounds have been put through it, but I suppose that may have a lot to do with the smooth trigger pull as compared to an SP101.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I carry a 4 in Security six IWB 4-5 oclock 30% of time in winter 151 prefix PS thats a 1975 excellent shape

·
Banned
192 Posts
I CC the 3" GP100 and I think thats great. Anything that smaller/lighter and still has 6 shots is a great option.

I have a Security Six, but it has a 6" barrel, so no CC on that one.

·
Registered
319 Posts
You know AVIVIII, I agree with you. The 3" GP100 is a great CCW piece. I've been a bit lazy lately and have been carrying a G26.

Winter now...think I shall go back to the .357 mag revovler now.

I want an IWB...thin one too. Thinking about this:

What do you think?

Reactions: kahrcarrier

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
For a while, a 4" Speed Six was my main off-the-clock carry gun, and I am not talking ancient history. I didn't write it down, but it was for about a year, and ended about a year ago when I finally got some really good concealment rigs for my P229 duty pistols. I still think it to be a superb carry piece, but it is simply more practical for me to use the same SIGs on my own time that I carry at work.

My 4" Speed Six is stainless steel, has a factory spurless hammer, and I installed Pachmayr Compact Professional grips, which leave the backstrap exposed. It usually rode in a Milt Sparks PMK holster. I will certainly carry it again, often, in the future, once I am no longer required to tote a .40 autoloader 40+ hours a week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Speed Six

I recently obtained a Ruger Speed Six .357. I haven't seen a Ruger Speed/Security Six in years. I have owned a few SP101's and other revolvers as well. My Speed Six has the 2.75" barrel. It is a little larger than the SP and smaller than the GP. I find it to be the perfect carry revolver. Anyone else carry a Speed Six?
I have the 2.75" in .38 Special and do plan to carry it. I think its perfect. I prefer the .38 and believe there is no defensive issue that cannot be resolved with a well-placed .38 Special 125gr semi-jacketed HP. I totally agree with you that the Speed Six is the perfect carry revolver. At least for you and me it is.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
I have both the Speed Six and Security 6 in 2 3/4" length. Still trying to find I holster I like for carrying. At some point I want to find a 4" Security Six.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I looked for years and finally got a Snub Nose Security Six. It's Blue with Pachmyar Gripper Grips. Excelant for IWB. It's just heavy enough that full house 357 is fun to shoot. It is also heavy enough to bother my Artharitis. Back to carrying the LCR and SP101. Bummer.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...back in the 70s, I bought a new 4" SS Speed Six and had the trigger smoothed and the hammer bobbed...let a friend talk me out of it a few months later, and have been looking ever since...found a few trashed blued snubs but no 4" SS anymore...maybe someday...got a coupla sets of Packy Compacs waitin' for them...

...just bought a SP101 SS .357 DAO...would much rather have had a Speed Six...me lookee no findee...they were fine revolvers...Chevy not Cadillac...but reliable...

For a while, a 4" Speed Six was my main off-the-clock carry gun, and I am not talking ancient history. I didn't write it down, but it was for about a year, and ended about a year ago when I finally got some really good concealment rigs for my P229 duty pistols. I still think it to be a superb carry piece, but it is simply more practical for me to use the same SIGs on my own time that I carry at work.

My 4" Speed Six is stainless steel, has a factory spurless hammer, and I installed Pachmayr Compact Professional grips, which leave the backstrap exposed. It usually rode in a Milt Sparks PMK holster. I will certainly carry it again, often, in the future, once I am no longer required to tote a .40 autoloader 40+ hours a week.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
I have both the Speed Six and Security 6 in 2 3/4" length. Still trying to find I holster I like for carrying. At some point I want to find a 4" Security Six.
The 4" Security Six is still out there and a great choice. It's sturdy, seemingly indestructible, and it carries like a K Frame Smith without the clunky bulk of the GP100. There's plenty to love there. I hope you find one.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Yes, +1 or +2 on the arty.

My bad back and other factors( Fibromyalgia) are why I don't carry a 97B and a Speed Six or GP-100 anymore.

I can say the same thing about a SP-101. They are also a little heavy for me in comparison to the LCRs.

If you can live with how heavy it is..a Speed will do you fine, Especially... with most any .357 Magnum load.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Speed Six

I rotate my Speed Six between my SR40C . Sometimes I just love the look and feel of a wheel gun . Mine's the ss 2 3/4 inch , compared to my SP101 the trigger is much smoother . I carry both iwb , no problem concealing for me .

Attachments

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...the weight is a plus for me...blessed with no back problems, I like the heavy guns...and the balance of them...I don't like shooting the airweight/Ti/poly frame revolvers...the SpeedSix, GP100, SP101, Smith L suit me fine...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts