Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really get bored at what I would call the typical indoor range. Move some out as far as I can, or whatever, but get bored.

At one point, I decided to shoot my name into the target, or other people's names, or whatever wording hit me .
Do pretty well at it. But even that got old.

I prefer an outdoor range where I can set up targets at varying distances and shooting them all quickly, or moving and shooting, or drawing and hitting moving target, etc. Anything to improve or practice things that will help in real life. Not just shooting at some stationary target down range.

Anyone else do things that ? What do you do to keep it interesting and adding a challenge to it ???

Reactions: Oreste

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
No, I don't. And that's because I don't just punch paper at my local indoor range. I do a variety of what I would call practical defensive shooting drills. I never use conventional targets; I use two sizes of paper plates and two sizes of plain index cards. I have the target hold flip back and forth at differently timed intervals to tax me and make me work at improving and solidifying my skills. I do strong hand/weak hand drills, draw and fire exercises, multiple targets, double and triple taps, and short face time drills (one and two second drills with double taps). There are a lot more than these but suffice it to say, none of what I do at the range is conventional. I am after getting my gun into play quickly and effectively in a short amount of time.

The range I go to is very modern and one of the largest indoor ranges in the country. And the fact that they allow this sort of training is the reason I go there, aside from the fact that they are 5-6 miles away from my house.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very true. I try to move my feet, so you have to realign your sites. Do a mag change, and move your head scanning the situation, all while following range rules.
Do Mozambique, shoot strong and weak handed, even a little long distance one-eyed. Does not take that long, or too many rounds if you go regularly.

TED

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Shooting is boring. The psychology of shooting I find pretty intense, though. The psychology of self defense in general is off the charts on my interest level. :wink:

Caine_and_Master_Po.jpg

·
Registered
712 Posts
No, I don't. And that's because I don't just punch paper at my local indoor range. I do a variety of what I would call practical defensive shooting drills. I never use conventional targets; I use two sizes of paper plates and two sizes of plain index cards. I have the target hold flip back and forth at differently timed intervals to tax me and make me work at improving and solidifying my skills. I do strong hand/weak hand drills, draw and fire exercises, multiple targets, double and triple taps, and short face time drills (one and two second drills with double taps). There are a lot more than these but suffice it to say, none of what I do at the range is conventional. I am after getting my gun into play quickly and effectively in a short amount of time.

The range I go to is very modern and one of the largest indoor ranges in the country. And the fact that they allow this sort of training is the reason I go there, aside from the fact that they are 5-6 miles away from my house.
Id love to know we're in va your range is. I am also in Va. Has to be a different part cause there ain't no range like that by were I'm at. If it's close enough I'd be willing to travel. Could you give up the name? I can locate it on my own with a name. Then I'd see if the distance is worth traveling.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I really get bored at what I would call the typical indoor range. Move some out as far as I can, or whatever, but get bored.

At one point, I decided to shoot my name into the target, or other people's names, or whatever wording hit me .

I prefer an outdoor range where I can set up targets at varying distances and shooting them all quickly, or moving and shooting, or drawing and hitting moving target, etc. Anything to improve or practice things that will help in real life. Not just shooting at some stationary target down range.

Anyone else do things that ? What do you do to keep it interesting and adding a challenge to it ???
I am kind of embarrassed to admit it but a long time ago I was at a range when I lived up north. It was at an outdoor county range. There were these two yahoos shooting a 22 rifle at the 50 ft pistol range yakking it up about how great they could shoot. Neither one came close to the 10 ring with a rifle at 50 ft off a bench rest. I was shooting my gp 100 357 in the next station. After about 30 min. listening to there verbal diarrhea I could not take it any more. So the next time one of them was shooting I kinda popped a 357 hole in 10 ring of there target. Now 3 or 4 of the other shooters cought on to what I did but neither one of the two knucklehead shooting the 22 rifle did. You should have heard them brag about what a great shot they made. They never even noticed that the hole in the bull was about 4 times bigger than the rest of there 22 holes. Those two left and the rest of us never laughed so hard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Incredible.

Proud father of 3 upright citizens.
Lucky husband of the world's most wonderful woman.
US Navy SubVet.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Find some other challenge targets online, print them out and tape them up after you finish with the range target. Circle torture drill, 3-2-1 drill, etc.

·
Registered
178 Posts

:smile:

·
Banned
3,119 Posts

Id love to know we're in va your range is. I am also in Va. Has to be a different part cause there ain't no range like that by were I'm at. If it's close enough I'd be willing to travel. Could you give up the name? I can locate it on my own with a name. Then I'd see if the distance is worth traveling.
What Poppy42 said. SouthernBoyVA must go to a private range? All indoor ranges around my way do not allow drawing, you have to use standard paper targets, and no rapid fire. Yea it gets kind of boring, but I live in envy and vicariously through all the YouTubers who get to shoot out in the dessert, the woods, or their back yards. One can only dream...

·
Registered
9,341 Posts

Sometimes when your bored, things can change quickly !

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
I have found that indoor ranges give me a headache and can't much more than hour inside one. Something about shooting from a confined space hmmm.... I guess shooting .50 Brownings from inside the left window of a Pave Low may have something to do with it! :brutal19: OTOH, I love outdoor ranges!:smile:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Practice off-hand shooting. An indoor range is a great place for it. You sorta have to go slow anyway, until you get it down. Since you're at a range that won't allow you (either by policy or structure) to move around like you should, take the opportunity to work on something that doesn't require movement initially. You'll be working on marksmanship and technique, all over again. It's fun!

Besides, maybe it's just me, but a tight group of shots isn't that impressive. Most folks that spend any time at any range can do that, if that's their goal. What is always impressive to me, is to see someone change hands, and still nail their shots. No better indicator of someone that is serious about the craft.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Not sure what all you shoot on your typical range trip, but if you dont already, start reloading. That adds a whole new side of fun to it.

Reactions: rainmaker

·
Registered
392 Posts

I have never even been to an indoor range, I shoot outdoors at "shooting pits" where you can set up and shoot what and how you want to. I have found that I am getting bored with shooting targets and am starting to train for competition shooting, steel match type. I have a long way to go...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Don't much care for boredom, especially since I generally shoot twice per week. Fortunately I find that the variety of firearms I take and the type/variety of target and SD exercises I do keeps it pretty interesting.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
What Poppy42 said. SouthernBoyVA must go to a private range? All indoor ranges around my way do not allow drawing, you have to use standard paper targets, and no rapid fire. Yea it gets kind of boring, but I live in envy and vicariously through all the YouTubers who get to shoot out in the dessert, the woods, or their back yards. One can only dream...
The range of which I speak is in Manassas and is open to the general public. It is indoors and has two 25 yard ranges one 50 yard range, and one 100 yard range. Very modern equipment. The target holders are identical to those at the the NRA headquarters range (the NRA range also allows all of the drills I mentioned).

Here's the link.

http://www.eliteshootingsports.com/

1 - 20 of 45 Posts