Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can see folks in a biz want to stop carrying something if they think it's not worth the risk to their biz, but storing folks in a separate db because they purchase more ammo than others or different firearms? Really?

BREAKING: Academy Sports Pulling Modern Sporting Rifles From Shelves - The Firearm Blog
UPDATE: We have received a photo of the policy from a reader, you can read it below.
According to Redit user Potato_Muncher the move to pull rifles from the display rack was at the request of the corporate offices in Texas. According to u/Potato_Muncher the rifles will still be available for sale but not on display leading many buyers to believe that there are no rifles available.
corporate hosted a conference call requesting all modern sporting rifle lighters and other gifts are being pulled from the shelves along with all the airsoft and bb guns resembling an “assault rifle”.
new policy requiring any sale of more than 10 boxes in a caliber that Academy deems an “assault rifle caliber” will require the buyer to furnish personal information that Academy is planning on keeping in a database

·
Registered
272 Posts
Looks like a true story. Just checked their website and while they had .223 and 7.62 guns listed, some of which still had that "assault" look they were all bolt action. Silliness.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
They cave and pull them from the shelves every time there is a mass shooting of any kind. Then they start selling them again when the dust settles. I have never commended the way that Academy does business related to firearms. All of their guns have trigger locks, so you can't even test how the trigger pulls/breaks before you buy. Group them right there with Dicks when it comes to their ideologies. I get nothing gun related from them anymore.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
I used to shop at academy...

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
If they can't/won't stand on principle, may they fall on their butts.

·
Premium Member
8,070 Posts
This is one store I never have to Boycott , none here in Maryland . They can suck air as far as I am concerned .

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Keeping lists of who buys what ammo is the deal breaker for me. Let em go broke.
Have got a shop in my neck of the woods that insists upon documenting sales as something other than "cash" sales for related items (not for firearms, which the FFL requirements already cover). It's a deal-breaker for me, too.

·
Premium Member
5,008 Posts
This is one store I never have to Boycott , none here in Maryland . They can suck air as far as I am concerned .

I am also in this camp, but even if I had one in my back yard Academy can get bent....

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
The one here, has become more and more a clothing store than having Sports items, fishing, guns, etc. Just like Dick's did.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Cabela's is closer to my house anyway. Academy has joined the ranks of Dicks Sporting Goods; Not. Another. Dime.
Count me in. I've found Brownell's that has everything I was getting from Academy for a bit less too. No need for me to darken either Academy or Dick's doorway again. And if I *REALLY* need it and Brownell's doesn't have it, I'm pretty sure the Bass Pro up the road in OKC can get it.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
For the record, I called and spoke with the manager of my local store about this. He gives the canned corporate response of "Academy is doing it out of respect to the victims of Orlando". I asked if he could elaborate on what that was supposed to mean, and asked why they weren't respecting lawful citizens right to defend themselves in these trying times; and why were they taking a politically incorrect stance of singling out cosmetic firearms - let alone the ammo registration. He said he couldn't talk politics and diverted me up the chain. He wasn't pleased with my conversation and how I told him that wouldn't be doing any business with them in the future; and that I would be spreading the word to everyone that I know who shops there - especially for firearms.

I recommend more people do the same. It can't change what they have done, but it lets them know that their customers are bailing for their corporate garbage "PC" stance on firearms.

Reactions: WHEC724

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
For the record, I called and spoke with the manager of my local store about this. He gives the canned corporate response of "Academy is doing it out of respect to the victims of Orlando".
Out of sight, out of mind. All to show "respect" for the victims of the murderer.

Nice gesture. But, still only a gesture.

A practical step would be to dramatically boost support for the upstanding by heavily pushing the means of self-defense out to everyone who's willing. IMO, that would be a far greater monument to the dead ... that vastly more people chose to take up the call of personal responsibility for our safety and security. The vastly greater probability of burying predators where they lay, soon after they show themselves. In the end, it's that that'll pay dividends, a thousand times over. All else is wishful thinking in the extreme, and comparatively pointless. Good though it might feel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts