Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Link is inoperative. Too many http's, I think.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
yep i tried...for about 5 minutes..... it feels really weird and does not promote a secure grip on a firearm. Heres a thought... for those of us who use the thumbs forward method, doesnt it do the same thing ? I personally have made it a habit to practice close range point shooting ....just not using this method... for spped and necessity.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep i tried...for about 5 minutes..... it feels really weird and does not promote a secure grip on a firearm. Heres a thought... for those of us who use the thumbs forward method, doesnt it do the same thing ? I personally have made it a habit to practice close range point shooting ....just not using this method... for spped and necessity.
Not sure I comprehend your comment (not your comment just me)..when I grip my Glock, my thumbs are not really pointing at the target but to the left of target (small hands short thumbs)....

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
May have seen toooooo many Hickock45 Vids and others where shooters are deadly accurate rapid fire style..so I know they are not rear/front sight alining on every trigger pull...they must be using some point and shoot technique.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
when I grip my Glock, my thumbs are not really pointing at the target but to the right of target
Are you left handed? How do you get your thumbs (running down the left side) to point to the right of the target? :blink:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you left handed? How do you get your thumbs (running down the left side) to point to the right of the target? :blink:
My bad.....don't know left from right.....no wonder I can't shoot straight.......another correction to make....thanks....

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I haven't tried this method of pointing with my strong side index finger. I use the thumbs-forward with a two-handed grip to try to accomplish the same thing. I'll give this a shot, but it seems a bit weird to pull the trigger with my middle finger.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
As a guitar player I can advise (for certain) that a decline in normal finger-dexterity exists across your hand from index finger to pinky. IMHO, I'm gonna' keep my most dexterous finger on the bang-switch of my most dangerous tool. So I'll point...with the muzzle!

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
I am not changing my draw and technique to suit a singular purpose. It looks well and good if you already have your gun in your hand..but then again, how many folks have that luxury when someone surprises you at 21 feet.

I will stick with standard draw, point shoot as need be while a gain the front sight.

Reactions: atctimmy

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
The NRA talks about a flash sight picture. While I agree with the premise of point shooting in the proper context, I think the video is misleading. With PROPER training you can get accurate hits on target. Everyone has a NEW idea on how to shoot, unless you are missing your index finger, use your index finger for the bang switch. Most of the time, I will not make absolutes, but with this I will. OP if you are seeking knowledge of point shooting look to Saurez international, Rob Pincus, Travis Haley, Chris Costa. Please do not mess with internet Gun-fu......

Reactions: dben002

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't like the index point/middle on trigger take on point shooting. If I shoot close enough to require a one hand grip, I'll shoot from retention position. If I can use two, I point through my support hand thumb. I have done this under stress. Last week, a friend and I practiced rapid fire in 2-5 shot strings. We were able to put all shots on standard printer paper sized targets from 7 yards, with the majority on fist sized targets. Practice pays.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
5shot has been around for some time now. When he post his way of point shooting on forums it does not get good reviews. Keep all the fingers you can on the grip of the gun. A firm grip is more important than pointing with your finger. If you wish to learn to point shoot then learn from a instructor who knows the basics of true point shooting. I learned from and recommend Roger Phillips, Saurez International instructor.

Yes point shooting does and will work. The longer the distance the more reference needed of the gun but hits can be made without hard focus on sights from some rather long distances.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Point shooting yes, with that grip, no.

Reactions: atctimmy

·
Registered
126 Posts
I played with it for awhile and it does work(at least for me) but after 65 yrs. of using my index finger it would take a lot of work to change over and I don't think I have that much time left at my age.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
In my point shooting I use a normal grip but I do envision, in my minds eye, the pointing of my thumb and index finger (even though finger is on the trigger) at the target, one on each side of the grip. But in combat shooting a good firm grip is a important part of shooting. Taking one finger off the grip does not give the firm grip needed in my book.

·
Banned
706 Posts
Izzat... the same Nimrod who says the 1911 has a deadly flaw because the slide stop lever protrudes on the right-hand side?

I know of two forums he's been banned from because he (if it's him) kept spouting such silliness.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts