Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
They are heavy, ugly and go bang. For the money its not to bad.

·
Administrator
21,209 Posts
It's crap, plain and simple.

The metal is garbage, the size/weight/capacity ratios are garbage, the build quality is garbage, and if the metal wasn't so crappy, they'd probably make a better hammer than a gun.

They are probably THE most common "straw purchase" gun and are found in the hands of many gang bangers.

Save an extra $50-$150 and get a used Taurus or Bersa.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
:haha: What JD said +1 :hand10:

·
Banned
447 Posts
I have some experience with hi-point. We sell a lot of them, and from the reviews I have read, they always go bang (which is important). I have shot my fair share of hi-points from handguns to the carbines. After selling them to customers, if needed we assist them at the range. The first time I shot a hi-point 9, all 5 rounds was in the X at 7yards. There wasn't much recoil either.

They are not the best looking, but for the price you can't beat it.

I think the carbines are more fun to shoot, specially with a 30rd mag:)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi Point

Much has been said about these guns, good and bad. All I can tell you is that I had the 9mm pistol for a year or so, fired maybe 500 times, gave it to my son who has not fired it much in the last couple of years, and to this day it has not had a single problem. Not a misfire, not a jam, no FTE, FTF, FTRB, nothing. Lifetime warranty, good people and great price. Would I rely on this gun for daily carry? No. Too big, too heavy. Would I put one in my tackle box or at my bedside? absolutely. I have a Hi Point 9mm carbine with red dot scope in my closet as a SHTF backup along with my 1911's.
I agree with JD on the Taurus or even a Rock Island Armory 1911 for a couple hundred more.

·
Registered
779 Posts
A neighbor had one. It was a .380, bigger than my HK USP .40, vastly heavier, and the machining marks inside the gun made it look like a trained chimp did the CNC work.

Hey--if you're thinking about one for a carry piece, look on the bright side: It's WAY better for throwing or pistol whipping than a Bersa. <g>

You can get into a used GLOCK for $380 or so, new one for $460ish. A lesson I learned early with handguns? Never go cheap.

Dan

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
I have a C9.

Pros:
Cheap & amazingly accurate (if it actually manages to not double-feed).
It's kind of fun to shoot (when it's not jamming).

Cons:
Jams once it's dirty
Nightmare to clean
Carries like a brick
I don't trust it

Conclusion: It's a disposable zip gun. It lives in my tackle box now.

My recommendation is to get a Glock 19. It's about the same dimensions, holds 15+1, never jams, much more fun to shoot, just as accurate, field strips in seconds, wont break the bank @ about $519, and weighs less - even with a full clip. Did I mention that I love the G19? :yup:

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Treat it like your plane, you're going to rely on it for your life, n'est pas? I vote to save up and spend a bit more on a concealable 40 or 45, if you don't already have one. I'm thinking XDsc, PPS40, G27, oh heck, Kimber Ultra CDP.

The satisfaction of quality lasts much longer that the thrill of a cheap price. That said, I haven't heard anything negative about Hi-Point's performance, just their size and looks. (but she has a great personality)

·
Registered
862 Posts
From first hand experience Hi-Point is a decent gun but nothing that I would trust my life too. If it's all you can aford and you need a gun right now for protection ect. Then get it cause they are inexpensive and American made. If you can wait and save up a few bucks I'd by a used S&W, Glock, Sig ect. A brand with a known name for performance and longevity.

I have a Hi Point .380 which is identical in size to the 9mm and I had constant jamming issues every time I shot it. I took it to my local gun shop and Hi Point has a lifetime warranty so we sent it in. The said the slide was machined incorrectly they filed it down sent it back with 2 extra mags and apologized for the issue with a hand written note, which i thought was great. I talked to several other guys at the shop and they've all had manufacturing issues with their Hi Points as well. I think they're a good company and trying to make a name for themselves but the quality assurance isn't there yet.

Either way it's still a fun gun and cheap :)

From personal expierence

·
Registered
929 Posts
As long as they go bang when the trigger is pulled, I could see using them as strategic "plants" throughout the home. I have identified 6 such locations that I would like to have a firearm available at my home in addition to my daily carry. I currently have 3 locations covered, & eventually would like all 6 covered. The price is attractive for such a purpose, but that would be my only consideration for these. The size/weight to capacity ratio is too inferior for a daily carry.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Junk. Buy a slingshot and a nice lunch with the change. You'll be better armed.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I talked to a couple of gang-bangers at about them at a Dallas gun show.

Me: These any good?
GB1: Ask him, he shoots his A LOT! :gah:

·
Registered
749 Posts
IMO it depends on what your looking for. Do you want a range gun to throw ammo down range? Do you want a gun that you can bet your life on?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Check out this ALL american 9MM for 150.00 bucks.
Hi-Point Firearms: 9mm
What do you guys think?
If that all the money you got to spend and don't have a gun now
then it your call , but I just bought a Bersa UC9Pro for $339.00
that blows that Hi Point away!
I highly recommend you look into Bersa handguns.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I talked to a couple of gang-bangers at about them at a Dallas gun show.

Me: These any good?
GB1: Ask him, he shoots his A LOT! :gah:
When I worked in the property/evidence room at my PD, most of the guns being confiscated from the bangers were these cheapo hi-points. They're big and ugly.

However, they seem to have some good reviews for reliability on the net. They're made in the USA and cheap.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My first handgun was a HP C-9. I chose it because it was cheap. Over 1000 rds and not a single misfire. I saved a little and bought the Bersa Thunder 9 UC.
It's great for EDC. The C-9 was a good starter for me. No problems.

·
Administrator
143,715 Posts
I do not like or appreciate clunky, top heavy, ungainly Pot Metal guns.
I don't care if anybody else buys one though. It's your life & not mine.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have a C9 for 3 years and put at least a 1000 rds in it with no probs. I have shot fmj, 115 and 124 gr hp's, and shot shells, I do not recall a single jam. I use the ghost ring sight and the weight makes multiple hits so easy. The slide is also very easy to cycle which is a plus for my wife, not to mention when I get older. I know earlier models did have issues and one I shot when I was a teenager did jam but I would say now their quality is fine at least in my experience.

do I carry it, no... if it was all i had would i, yes. It weighs as much as my 1911 and holds 1 less. There is a 10 rd mag and I have a couple of those but they make the grip to long to conceal. They also have a manual safety which I like.

Those who have said to place one in variou locations and keep in the car and such, it could definitely serve that purpose. If you are buying it to cary and that is all the $ you can muster than something is better than nothing... but I would find a friend to let me borrow a pistol and save for something that will be more applicable. I your gun is heavy and thick and hard to carry you might not and that defeats the purpose. You can get a Kel Tec PF9 / LCP/ or a good used revo or autoloader for 300-350 (Some of these wouldn't be a range gun however).

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I am a dealer for High-Point, 8 different models from .380 to .45. I don't offer them. It is just too much trouble. You get what you pay for. I try not to sell junk and don't want unhappy customers.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.