Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are shooting the 19Ms mostly (almost identically to the Gen 5s).

I’m tempted to buy a 17M for duty carry also. Need to find someone who has one. However, we have a number of folks who are finding their 17M is less accurate than their 19M. Same sight setups too. And if that’s the case, I’ll just continue to throw a 17 round mag in my 19. But I’m curious if anyone else is having this issue.

Theories range from it being just individual to each shooter to one frame flexing more. Also, at least a couple guys who have shared this with me were firearms instructors. One just uses the 17M because he has ginormous hands but dislikes how it’s less accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Premium Member
33,788 Posts
My 19 is the least accurate for me of the three Glocks I own.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Out of the Glock 17, 19, and 26 which I carried either on duty, off-duty, or BUG I shot the Glock 19 best and the Glock 26 almost as well as the 19 and better than the 17. The Glock 35 was my most accurate duty gun!:biggrin2: Just my personal experience!

·
Registered
59 Posts
no firearm is accurate or inaccurate, it is all about the shooter! Some weapons feel more comfortable, fit the hand better, are lighter or heavier or have light or heavy triggers. All this combines to effect which weapon THE SHOOTER will be most accurate with. A shooter should be able to learn how to control any weapon but some may just come much more easily to reach the state of being one with your weapon. And this is a major reason why you need to handle several if not many weapons before choosing.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I’ll just have to shoot both side by side sometime and compare. I am torn. $450 for something that will be just a little more accurate (maybe).

Reactions: 1gunsnowbird

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Yeah, I’ll just have to shoot both side by side sometime and compare. I am torn. $450 for something that will be just a little more accurate (maybe).

I would add a Glock 30 or Glock 30s... that way it will compatible with your duty Glock 21! My Glock 30 is more accurate than either the Glock 19 or 17...but not quite as accurate as my retired duty Glock 35!:biggrin2:

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
You're barking up the wrong tree. As @HillCountry said, it is the shooter, not the pistol - just like the old saying, "It isn't the arrows in the quiver, It's the Indian."

If you really want to know, find someone with a Ransom Rest. I suspect, based on a lot of years experience, you'll find out that ANY gun is far, far more inherently accurate than ANY human.

You will be far better off concentrating more on how well you shoot them, rather than on which one you think is more accurate. Glocks are not target pistols. They are designed to stop the threat. You don't need MOA accuracy at 1,000 yards for that noble task. :smile:

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
I'd suggest it might be the differences in the shape of the grip. Personally the compacts fit my hands better than the full-sized Glocks.

·
Registered
790 Posts
With 9mm Glocks it seems to be where the hump in the grip hits the shooter’s hand that makes the accuracy difference. They’re all equally accurate - just depends on how the hump fits your hand as to which is most accurate. At least that has been my experience with them. I’m not great with the 17, but I shoot the 19 and 26 much better.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would add a Glock 30 or Glock 30s... that way it will compatible with your duty Glock 21! My Glock 30 is more accurate than either the Glock 19 or 17...but not quite as accurate as my retired duty Glock 35!:biggrin2:
No longer rocking the 21 on duty. Bought it and it mostly sits in the safe now. I miss it. I asked if I could get it approved for duty. Nada. Basically we can carry Glock 9mms except the 43.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
My 34(does that count since it’s a 17 frame?) is more accurate than my 19.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A sample of one in comparison to the other is only a comparison of those two particular samples of each. General conclusions based on such a limited sample is inconclusive with out particular merit.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A sample of one in comparison to the other is only a comparison of those two particular samples of each. General conclusions based on such a limited sample is inconclusive with out particular merit.
I dunno. I’ve shot multiple 19Ms. They pretty much shoot the exact same.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I dunno. I’ve shot multiple 19Ms. They pretty much shoot the exact same.

It is not my attention to be rude, but it could it be that your part of the problem as opposed to the weapon. I witnessed this occurrence that certain shooters had problems with a particular model while others did not. :smile:

·
Premium Member
33,788 Posts
It is not my attention to be rude, but it could it be that your part of the problem as opposed to the weapon. I witnessed this occurrence that certain shooters had problems with a particular model while others did not. :smile:
My problem with the 19 is how it fits my hand, affecting both my grip and trigger pull, which in turn messes with the alignment. The mandatory Glock palm swell simply does not serve me well on the 19.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe the takeaway is that the grip shape is just a bigger variable than the sight radius when it comes to accuracy.

Reactions: Mike1956

·
Premium Member
33,788 Posts
Maybe the takeaway is that the grip shape is just a bigger variable than the sight radius when it comes to accuracy.

That has been my experience.

·
Premium Member
7,150 Posts
I had all of the Glock 9mm's except the 43 because I bought a 42 (.380) when they were first out. The Gen2 model 17 was by far the most accurate in my hands. My first 19 was a great gun and I did very well with it. Then I traded it in when I bought the 34, thinking I didn't need three so close to the same size and I was shooting competition regularly, so I got rid of the 19 . Then I missed it a lot and so I bought another 19.

I sold the 26 after shooting it a few times and not getting along with it at all. When I had to give up shooting 9mm and Gramps "inherited" my other Glocks. He did not do well with either the 17 or the 34 even though he has the full size Glocks in .40 and .45acp calibers and shoots them well. He kept my Gen3 19 and even put a red dot on it, as he uses it a lot for the weekly competition shoots at our club.

Take that for what it is worth.

As others have said, it does seem to be the shooter.

·
Registered
393 Posts
My first gun was a G17, purchased a few months after returning from a long term overseas assignment with my company, where I could not own a firearm. Then I got a couple non-Glocks, then a 19, a 30, and finally a 26.

My 19 is my most accurate glock, and is tied for my most accurate handgun. The one it’s tied with in my ultracarry. This surprised the heck out of me, you know, longer barrel=more accurate, right?

But, that said, I think accuracy is not just a factor of the firearm, it’s a factor of the ergonomic compatibility with the shooter. For me, the 19 and the Ultracarry are easy to shoot accurately. With a 50 round box, I first shoot out the bullseye, then shoot the edges around it until I have a 4” hole in the center of the target, with rarely a flyer...that still hits in the salad plate sized target. Those are the only two guns that I can do that. Not the 17, not the 26, not the 30sf, not my Sig 229 or 365. I can come closer with the 938 than with any of those other guns. All of that said, accuracy also depends on what you need and why you are shooting. If you are shooting a competition, yes, you’ll want to hit that bulleye, every time. But for self defense? I’m pretty sure a salad plate sized group in center mass will suffice.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts