Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Every handgun is more accurate than any shooter. Show me one shooter who can shoot the same group as a ransom rest 9 out of 10 times, and then Ill change me mind. Anyone who says "my 19 or more accurate than my 17" or vice versa is full of crap. They are not a good enough shooter to say that, because nobody is that consistent.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Every handgun is more accurate than any shooter. Show me one shooter who can shoot the same group as a ransom rest 9 out of 10 times, and then Ill change me mind. Anyone who says "my 19 or more accurate than my 17" or vice versa is full of crap. They are not a good enough shooter to say that, because nobody is that consistent.
So you can shoot the same size group no matter what the gun?

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Yes. Or at least very close to it. Which is one reason I don’t mind going back and forth between calibers and platforms.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Yes. Or at least very close to it. Which is one reason I don’t mind going back and forth between calibers and platforms.
“Close to it” isn’t exactly the same.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
“Close to it” isn’t exactly the same.
When I say close, I mean taking out the human error factor, yes, I can shoot them the same, and I think I have proven that, and am very willing to demonstrate it with a variety of handguns of various calibers at a given distance if you want to call that in to question.

” Just say when”. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was more accurate with my 34 than my 19 until I put a zev trigger in the 34 and suddenly my groups spread 2X. My buddies all say it's "the most accurate Glock" they've ever shot.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Nope, but thats not saying anything about the inherent mechanical accuracy of the gun. If you had a handgun with junk sights and a 15lb long, creepy, horrible trigger, and tiny grip you could barely get a hold of that could mechanically shoot a 1 MOA group, and a gun with a red dot, smoking great trigger, amazing target grips, but can only shoot 5 MOA, which are you going to shoot better? I can tell you Id probably shoot the second gun better.

That being said, how well you shoot a gun has nothing to do with "how accurate" it is. Shooting a handgun does nothing to tell you how accurate it is, as the cone of fire caused by its mechanical accuracy is inherently going to be smaller than the cone of fire a person is capable of producing.

Humans are not ransom rests. We are people.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The first handgun I purchased on arriving in Florida in 2004, Dec. Was a Glock 17 4th Gen. After fitting TruGlo night sights, and an extended slide stop (Release) my first match was an IPSC match, in Jacksonville.
There was a component called a Field Course. Starting standing, holstered. Two full-sized silhouette targets, close 7 yards, 2 rounds on each, move to cover, a single target at around 50 yds.
This target was just showing the centre 6" top to bottom. The rest of the target, blacked out. So I carefully fired 4 rounds, standing.

The young guy who was patching the targets, waved me down to look at the 50-yard target.

I had 4 scoring holes in the upper chest (so to speak) 2 touching, 1x2" away, 1 an inch further away.
The scorer said he could not have done that with a rifle! My comment, neither could I.

But I shoot my carry pistol best, from the holster. A Gen 4 Glock 19. TruGlo night sights, extended-release. Feels like an extension of my arm!

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Nope, but thats not saying anything about the inherent mechanical accuracy of the gun. If you had a handgun with junk sights and a 15lb long, creepy, horrible trigger, and tiny grip you could barely get a hold of that could mechanically shoot a 1 MOA group, and a gun with a red dot, smoking great trigger, amazing target grips, but can only shoot 5 MOA, which are you going to shoot better? I can tell you Id probably shoot the second gun better.

That being said, how well you shoot a gun has nothing to do with "how accurate" it is. Shooting a handgun does nothing to tell you how accurate it is, as the cone of fire caused by its mechanical accuracy is inherently going to be smaller than the cone of fire a person is capable of producing.

Humans are not ransom rests. We are people.
It doesn’t take a ransom rest for someone to be able to see a difference in accuracy. When I shoot my gun, it will not be in a ransom rest. I don’t really care how a gun performs in one. I care how it performs in my hands. You’re overthinking this.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I have several Glocks, but not a 17; the Glock 19 is good for about as accurate as I can shoot, anymore.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I haven't had a G17 in many years. But I can tell you that last qualification I shot 2 points higher with my G26 then I did with my G19. Same thing used to happen often when I carried the G23/G27 combo. So, regardless what some folks say ……. maybe size doesn't matter !

Reactions: G-man*

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
It doesn’t take a ransom rest for someone to be able to see a difference in accuracy. When I shoot my gun, it will not be in a ransom rest. I don’t really care how a gun performs in one. I care how it performs in my hands. You’re overthinking this.
But then it isn’t about the accuracy of the gun, it’s just shootability. And for someone to take two guns that are nearly identical except for 0.5” grip length and a hair longer muzzle, that are the same exact gun otherwise, and say one is more or less accurate than the other is nonsense. I’d bet the guns were within a few percent of each other in inherent mechanical accuracy, and nobody can tell otherwise.

Sure, people can shoot guns better than other guns, but this thread is asking if people finding their G19 to be more accurate than a G17. My whole point is even if there were a difference in mechanical accuracy, nobody is consistent enough to find out.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Reactions: Bigsteve113

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
But then it isn’t about the accuracy of the gun, it’s just shootability. And for someone to take two guns that are nearly identical except for 0.5” grip length and a hair longer muzzle, that are the same exact gun otherwise, and say one is more or less accurate than the other is nonsense. I’d bet the guns were within a few percent of each other in inherent mechanical accuracy, and nobody can tell otherwise.

Sure, people can shoot guns better than other guns, but this thread is asking if people finding their G19 to be more accurate than a G17. My whole point is even if there were a difference in mechanical accuracy, nobody is consistent enough to find out.
No manufacturer designs their guns around being shot in a ransom rest. They design them to be shot while being held in someone’s hands. Until everyone is shooting their guns from ransom rests all the time instead of holding them, neither me, or 99.9% of other people will care how a gun shoots in any manner other than people’s hands.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have always shot Glock's very well, but I found that I shot the Glock 23 the best I have owned 4 or 5 different models over the years. I always end up selling them, the reason is simple there just plain ugly.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I guess I’ll find out soon. I’m selling my G19 Gen 3, and I’m using the money for a 17M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
It is no mystery that a shorter Glock can be more accurate, mechanically, that a longer Glock. The G26 can beat them all, as documented in more than one place. Interface with the shooter’s hands, however, is an important part of the equation, and so, I cannot realize best accuracy from a Glock, with a grip frame that does not reach all the way to the “heel bone” of my long hand. My hands are not wide, and my figers are skinny, so, I can get all of my fingers on a G19, without my pinkie touching the magazine, but the heel of the grip does not make enough contact with the heel of my shooting hand, so practical accuracy is just not there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
no firearm is accurate or inaccurate, it is all about the shooter! Some weapons feel more comfortable, fit the hand better, are lighter or heavier or have light or heavy triggers. All this combines to effect which weapon THE SHOOTER will be most accurate with. A shooter should be able to learn how to control any weapon but some may just come much more easily to reach the state of being one with your weapon. And this is a major reason why you need to handle several if not many weapons before choosing.
I always say that too, but I do shoot some guns better than others, and some guns shoot more accurately on average for shooters generally, so it's a little about the guns.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts