Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm negotiating a deal with someone on a 3 month old Mossberg, MVP Patrol Rifle in 5.56/.223. Other than the few bits and pieces of info I've found online, I know little about the gun. Anyone that can enlighten me about the quality, reliability of these rifles will be appreciated.

·
Registered
686 Posts
wish I could throw you some info. I just looked at the mossberg webpage which I am sure you did already and it looks like a handy little rifle. Sort of reminds me of my remington 783 in .308. with the short 20" barrel. only in .223 with a rail and flash suppressor. ok so not really even the same. if you get one let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mossberg MVP

My MVP was my first ever rifle. Granted I have the predator model with the longer barrel

but it's been utterly reliable.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To those who replied, thank you. Anyway, I looked the gun over very carefully last night and went ahead with the deal. So, now its mine and I'm gonna give it a thorough cleaning today and then hit the range this coming Tuesday. I was looking for something a bit different from my three AR's and I'll be using this rifle at 100 yards and within so it should fit the bill nicely.

Reactions: NYADK

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I handled one in the gun shop.
It looked like a nifty little carbine to me. If I didn't already have a Remington/AAC Model 7, I'd consider it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To those who replied, thank you. Anyway, I looked the gun over very carefully last night and went ahead with the deal. So, now its mine and I'm gonna give it a thorough cleaning today and then hit the range this coming Tuesday. I was looking for something a bit different from my three AR's and I'll be using this rifle at 100 yards and within so it should fit the bill nicely.
I ran the gun down to my gunsmith this morning and he looked it over . . . everything functions perfectly and is in great shape.
Only thing I don't like is the silver scope rings but apparently they were the only ones high enough to allow use of the iron sight with the scope still mounted. I can live with them.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
That's a lot of scope for what is supposed to be a light, handy rifle.
The good news is, it's still lighter than a full size rifle with that scope on it :yup:
I've found that most of a rifle's weight is in the barrel. Having a short carbine length rifle with the scope mounted on the receiver (as opposed to a scout rifle with the scope mounted over the barrel) still handles quite nicely.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have a Mossberg MVP predator with the 20" sporter barrel and laminate stock (otherwise the same action and platform as yours) and it has been a great gun. It puts together excellent accuracy, 1" with bulk .223 ammo, and sub moa with Hornady 55gr V-max.

Some negative things to note;
1. The bolt is not the smoothest due to the unique mechanism.
2. It has worked with any standard magazine I have used, but it works much better with some, particularly those that have very little forward and backwards play.
3. The rear action bolt (the middle overall bolt) tightens onto the forward part of the plastic trigger guard, making the nice aluminum pillar they have underneath it useless. With the plastic in the way you can't tighten the bolt to an appropriate torque (I couldn't even get my torque wrench to hit 25 inch/lb without the plastic cracking), to fix this I ground off a bunch of plastic until it sits flush with the pillar and then added a nut for the bolt to tighten down onto (otherwise the bolt protrudes into the action) and blued the nut. Improved my accuracy significantly. Tromix makes an aluminum trigger guard replacement for that very reason.
4. The mag release is very small and is difficult to operate using certain mags.
5. Mine will not eject steel casings reliably. After the 3rd of 4th shot of steel cased ammo the round sticks in the chamber and I cannot eject it without using a rod.

With that said......Great purchase! I have always liked how the 16" version looked.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a lot of scope for what is supposed to be a light, handy rifle.
Actually it isn't . . . this rifle balances so nicely it makes the scope a non-issue. Besides, it came as part of the deal. I'm not going to be humping it through the boonies anyway. Those days are long in my past. I'm a gun club shooter now, from a bench - 100 yards and less and my next purchase will be a bipod (LOL). :yup:

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I'd recommend a Champion bipod. I just picked one up for my little plinker. It's like half the price of a Harris, but already comes with an easy adjust swivel knob.
It works and looks exactly the same as a Harris.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd recommend a Champion bipod. I just picked one up for my little plinker. It's like half the price of a Harris, but already comes with an easy adjust swivel knob.
It works and looks exactly the same as a Harris.
Thank you, I'll look into it.

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Registered
10,938 Posts
Actually it isn't . . . this rifle balances so nicely it makes the scope a non-issue. Besides, it came as part of the deal. I'm not going to be humping it through the boonies anyway. Those days are long in my past. I'm a gun club shooter now, from a bench - 100 yards and less and my next purchase will be a bipod (LOL). :yup:
That's exactly what I used my old Ruger M77 MkII (in .223) for. Until I got really bored drilling tight groups at 100 yards, which isn't much of a challenge for a decent rifle and scope, even with cheap ammo. Nowhere nearby to shoot farther.

If it were me, I'd take the scope off, and try it with iron sights. More of a challenge that way. I'm just glad there are still manufacturers making affordable bolt guns with iron sights. That was the one thing I wished by old M77 had.

Good choice on the .223 - no need to blow big money on .308 or .30-06 to punch holes in paper. The CZs in 7.62 x 39 are really nice too, wish there were 10 round mags for them.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's exactly what I used my old Ruger M77 MkII (in .223) for. Until I got really bored drilling tight groups at 100 yards, which isn't much of a challenge for a decent rifle and scope, even with cheap ammo. Nowhere nearby to shoot farther.

If it were me, I'd take the scope off, and try it with iron sights. More of a challenge that way. I'm just glad there are still manufacturers making affordable bolt guns with iron sights. That was the one thing I wished by old M77 had.

Good choice on the .223 - no need to blow big money on .308 or .30-06 to punch holes in paper. The CZs in 7.62 x 39 are really nice too, wish there were 10 round mags for them.

Enjoy!
You're presuming I don't use iron sights but I've got 3 AR's that I use them on. Two are 5.56/.223 and one 300 blackout. The blackout of course is too expensive to shoot regularly but I get out with one or the other AR's about once a week. Occasionally, I'll use an Aim Sport 3-9X40 scope on one of them.
The scope rings on the Mossberg are high enough to clear the iron sights so I should be able to use either with ease. I just picked this rifle up last Thursday in an incredible deal and haven't gotten to fire it yet.

·
Registered
10,938 Posts
I get it. Just not a fan of scope rings that are so tall, no way to really get your cheek on the stock properly.

In any case I'm sure it'll be a fun rifle to shoot.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I get it. Just not a fan of scope rings that are so tall, no way to really get your cheek on the stock properly.

In any case I'm sure it'll be a fun rifle to shoot.
I agree with you completely about the high rings (see post #7) and I may have to look into a raised cheek rest as well.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have the mvp scout rifle in 308.I could not be happier with it. I have a 3x9 scope on it and use it for hunting here in Idaho.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts