Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that every gun magazine that's out these days has the new Ruger American on the cover
or an article covering one.

Moslty in 9mm...as I've not seen or read one for the .45 yet.

The NINE specimen that I handled locally last month had a nice trigger.

Not SIG striker-fired nice, but better than my old Glocks and my Springers.

At elast that's what it seemd like to me.

Reportedly low recoil and good accuracy.

I'm waiting for the MOD 2 Five inch TACTICAL model to come out in FDE...
so the Ruger American might be fun to play around with before the TAC
comes out.

I do know that the American looks kinda odd, but their 9mm fit me quite
well. at 30 some ounces, I'd not be carrying it, but I don't my MOD 2
Service Model, either.

Nor would I carry the 5 inch Tactical.

Range or Home Defense would be the modes for the American.

Reactions: gopbert

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
No, but I have 3 Glock 17's. No Ruger pistols in my home are allowed except my SR1911.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I have both the RAP9 and RAP45.

The RAP9 is problem free after firing several thousand rounds of Speer LE +P 124Gr GDHP, Federal +P 147Gr HST and 124Gr Mil-Spec FMJ. Its accuracy potential is equivalent to the Glock G17 and S&W MP9. It is a completely amberdictrous design with slide release and magazine release both RH & LH. The trigger press breaks at between 5.5-6.0 pounds. With the 9mm there are three pam swells (SM - M - L ). The medium palm swell comes in place on the pistol and my XL hands were comfortable with it in place.

The RAP45 I had a problem with there was a interference fit between the barrel breach block and the slide mating surfaces that resulted in peening of both parts with resultant feeding issues. The pistol was returned to Ruger. They prepaid the shipping cost to and the return cost also. The barrel and slide were replaced and the pistol test fired with Speer LE 230Gr GDHP and Black Hills 230Gr FMJ for a total of (70) rounds. I am not a Ruger person but I commend them for the excellent customer service and professionalism in regards to servicing and return of the pistol. I have 200Rds of Speer LE 230Gr GDHP and 300Rds of WWB 230Gr FMJ to fire when my schedule allows.

Each pistol comes with two magazines the 9mm capacity (17Rds) and the 45 ACP capacity (10Rds) I like to have six magazines for each pistol in my inventory. At approxmently $40 per magazine it gets your attention but other manufactures of pistols are in the same price range.

As for holsters the RAP45 and RAP9 may employ the same holster as the pistol width is equivalent but the RAP45 barrel length slightly longer.

That my perspective at this point. both I believe are going to be keepers. As for the initial problems with the RAP45, I've had issues with other manufactures also so I am not dismayed.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
The esthetics of the Ruger American Pistol is no better or worse than Glock or the S&W MP series. Functionality has a beauty all of its own which the RAP has. Some individuals are of the school that it hurts their eyes just to look at the RAP I view it differently as previously stated functionality - functionality & functionality are the most important attributes. Its a tool that I employ nothing more or less.:smile:

·
Registered
887 Posts
I bought a Ruger American .22 rifle about 2 weeks ago......I know, I know, not even close :smile: :smile:

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
neat video.

The American looks huge in your hands.

I'm not so sure if I would really dig one if it did rub my thumb joint
like others have ciommented on as well.

I'd have to have at least the medium if not the large backstrap.

Don't know if I would give up my MOD 2 .45 for the RAP in 9mm
or .45, but really don't need two .45s in the house.

The MOD 2 is pretty awesome. Sits good in the hand and has low recoil..
just a bit heavy for me to carry on most days.

Does nice for House Duty though:)

As the RAP .45 is only a half an inch longer than the Nine,
it would probably be safe to safe to say that the .45
might be the way to go...at least in my case, but the
9mm would be cheaper to shoot.

I'll wait until I can handle a .45 version.

As for YOU TUBE or other videos.

I tried my hand at one a few years back.

My voice is quite monotone, or drone-like.. and worked good for issuing tickets
and all, but not for videos. At least until I play a robot::image035:

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have handled them both somewhat extensively- the 9 and 45. I'm impressed with them- they seem like very good additional options to consider, and that's not a bad thing.

One thing they have over Glocks IMO (and I'm a big Glock guy) is the sights- leaps and bounds better than the stock Glock sights. I like the fact that if I were to buy one, I would not also have to immediately switch out the sights- which I do with all my Glocks. That alone is a positive.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I have American 9 and it is a great tactical pistol. Shoots like a dream, accurate and less recoil than my LC9s Pro. I carry the Pro and the American is by my chair at night.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've shot the American Pistol in 9mm. I didn't really care for the trigger as it has a rather long reset and was somewhat bouncy when it reset. The grip wasn't really aggressive enough for my taste. I would rather they go with something similar to the Glock Gen 4 txture. Other than that, it was a great gun that shot well.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
I have read positive reviews. But its hard for me to see how these represent significant improvement over the SR9, SR45 or SR9c.
I believe that the Ruger American's purpose was to get in the running for upcoming gov't/military contracts that the SR-9 apparently didn't meet. Although I haven't shot one yet, they seem like a nice gun is typically Ruger over-engineered. With so many other great tupperware guns, that have been out there for years, I think that Ruger may be late to the party.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts