Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vaporware or do you think it will make it to market. I really like the idea of it. With two younger children in my home and even with them being taught gun safety, I lock my gun in a biometric safe beside my bed. This seems like it may be faster and it'll let me know if someone touches my home defense pistol.

https://youtu.be/4U1zXeglRZ8

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Interesting concept.
I have no personal need for it but, it might be of interest or useful for some members.

Much would depend on how fail-safe the mechanics of it are.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Looks interesting. Not sure I like the fact that you can unlock it from your cell phone.

I do like that it can notify you if your gun is moved. I think this does have possibilities.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I want to know if someone get this and how it works :image035:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
This is a good idea around kids, if it works as advertised. But it will have to be very reliable for unlocking and getting the gun into action, IMHO.

Other than while I'm sleeping, I'd rather have my EDC on my waist, and any other guns locked in a safe.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm.. not seeing an advantage of this over my GunVault with button pattern unlock. (Mini Gun Safe - Mini Gun Vault - MiniVault | GunVault)

Pistol comes out with round chambered and ready. So what am I missing that makes this better than the minivault?
I have the GVB 1000 with biometric open. I like this because I can leave it out. Even though my children are taught gun safety, I'd like to know if they are actually adhering to what they've been taught. This would alert me if they touched/moved the firearm. I can then talk to them about it again.

The click function, if it works as advertised, is pretty amazing and could be just as quick to access as my GV.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have the GVB 1000 with biometric open. I like this because I can leave it out. Even though my children are taught gun safety, I'd like to know if they are actually adhering to what they've been taught. This would alert me if they touched/moved the firearm. I can then talk to them about it again.

The click function, if it works as advertised, is pretty amazing and could be just as quick to access as my GV.
Okay, now that you've explained it, I can see the usefulness in teaching the kids not to "play" with the weapon because Daddy will know they touched it. Hope it doesn't give "false positives" so you end up talking to the kids about something they DIDN'T do. But I can see it being useful for that. But at roughly $200? <wince>

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, now that you've explained it, I can see the usefulness in teaching the kids not to "play" with the weapon because Daddy will know they touched it. Hope it doesn't give "false positives" so you end up talking to the kids about something they DIDN'T do. But I can see it being useful for that. But at roughly $200? <wince>
My GV was almost $300 when I purchased it, lol. My major fear is my kids at someone else's house. They don't have access to my firearms here, but elsewhere they might. I'd like the ability to know if all the conversations concerning gun safety are actually heard. I can deal with $200 if it means my kids won't be stupid.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hmmm.. not seeing an advantage of this over my GunVault with button pattern unlock. (Mini Gun Safe - Mini Gun Vault - MiniVault | GunVault)

Pistol comes out with round chambered and ready. So what am I missing that makes this better than the minivault?
Notification if someone is moving your gun.
You can leave the gun in various places in your house, car, motel room and it's locked.

On the negative side, from my perspective, you can unlock it remotely with your phone. That seems to me to open the door to being hacked.
Cost. Though if it sells, that could change.

It might be nice for people with kids around. You know if your kid has moved the gun, even while it's still locked.

I don't have kids; I prefer my weapons loaded and handy. But, it could be advantageous for some.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Notification if someone is moving your gun.
You can leave the gun in various places in your house, car, motel room and it's locked.

On the negative side, from my perspective, you can unlock it remotely with your phone. That seems to me to open the door to being hacked.
Cost. Though if it sells, that could change.

It might be nice for people with kids around. You know if your kid has moved the gun, even while it's still locked.

I don't have kids; I prefer my weapons loaded and handy. But, it could be advantageous for some.
The hacking thing really isn't a big deal for me. I mean a hacker/thief would still need to be in the house to steal it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I expected it to be cheesy and useless.

It's... Creative. I'm sure it would have a large price tag. I'm still not sure why you would want this over a safe and I don't get some of the features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I read about this yesterday. I dont like it. I guess you can choose when to use it and all that, but I dont like something that relies on electronics, and of course the israelis would come up with something that requires you to leave the gun unloaded. Not a fan of that either.

Reactions: Morbidrealities

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I read about this yesterday. I dont like it. I guess you can choose when to use it and all that, but I dont like something that relies on electronics, and of course the israelis would come up with something that requires you to leave the gun unloaded. Not a fan of that either.
To be fair, it chambers a round when you remove it. I also rely upon my bedside safe to work as well, so there's that. I get that it's not for everyone, my main interest right now is if will even make it to market. Indiegogo and Kickstarter are both notorious for vaporware.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
To be fair, it chambers a round when you remove it. I also rely upon my bedside safe to work as well, so there's that. I get that it's not for everyone, my main interest right now is if will even make it to market. Indiegogo and Kickstarter are both notorious for vaporware.
It does champer a round when you remove it, which I suppose makes it a step ahead of other types of chamber locks, but I am against this idea for the same reason I recommend against people carrying on their person without a round in the chamber.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It does champer a round when you remove it, which I suppose makes it a step ahead of other types of chamber locks, but I am against this idea for the same reason I recommend against people carrying on their person without a round in the chamber.
I guess I'm not catching what you're putting down. People with children usually don't leave their home defense firearm unsecured. They would have to retrieve it from a safe, whether bedside or in a closet. Most people that do this doubtfully have a biometric safe, so they need to put in a code or whatever. I can't imagine that being able to grip the firearm and doing this pretty nifty combination system and chambering a round takes longer than entering a code on a safe, opening the safe and retrieving the firearm. This is also less expensive than most biometric bedside safes at $95 or $125 if you want the bridge for notifications. It's cheaper than my GVB 1000 that I paid almost $300 for and even less expensive than the keyed safe I use for my truck.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I guess I'm not catching what you're putting down. People with children usually don't leave their home defense firearm unsecured. They would have to retrieve it from a safe, whether bedside or in a closet. Most people that do this doubtfully have a biometric safe, so they need to put in a code or whatever. I can't imagine that being able to grip the firearm and doing this pretty nifty combination system and chambering a round takes longer than entering a code on a safe, opening the safe and retrieving the firearm. This is also less expensive than most biometric bedside safes at $95 or $125 if you want the bridge for notifications. It's cheaper than my GVB 1000 that I paid almost $300 for and even less expensive than the keyed safe I use for my truck.
To each their own. If I am home, I want my gun accessible.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Ok, that made me go back and look at the vid again. It ended with "Retail: $199" then a slash and "available on Indiegogo"

Is $95 the Indiegogo price?

I can see the possibility of a "niche" market for it, as a training tool to help teach the kids NOT to touch/pick up the gun in the house, but if I were going that route, I'd "lock" it rather than use the "rack the slide to remove" option which prevents the kids from having a whoopsie if they get the gun before I can read the alert and find them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, that made me go back and look at the vid again. It ended with "Retail: $199" then a slash and "available on Indiegogo"

Is $95 the Indiegogo price?

I can see the possibility of a "niche" market for it, as a training tool to help teach the kids NOT to touch/pick up the gun in the house, but if I were going that route, I'd "lock" it rather than use the "rack the slide to remove" option which prevents the kids from having a whoopsie if they get the gun before I can read the alert and find them.
Its the Indiegogo price. I believe even if locked you can set it to alert if the firearm is moved. I sent them an email requesting further information on questions I have. We'll see if I get a reply. The rack the slide to remove works after you enter the combination as well

1 - 20 of 59 Posts