1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
This sounds like it might be a worthwhile organization, but I have never heard of them before today.

I never heard of them either. Here in Chicago we have some of the most strictest knife laws in the country. Everyone talks about our strict gun laws, but our knife laws are even more draconian compared to the rest of the country. No fixed blade and maximum blade length on a folder is 2 1/2".

·
Registered
695 Posts
I was surprised to learn that my normal pocket knife was illegal in Scotland when I visited it. I didn't think it was a big deal, so I just filed it as an interesting quirk of British law...

Just looked up the laws and they are pretty ridiculous and it seems that they might even be serious about it:

Can't have "batons", but I can carry my 36" hickory club cane... Even on the plane with me... :)

Q: "Do you need that cane to walk?"
A: "No, I need it to NOT FALL DOWN..." :)

Texas got rid of their knife restrictions a couple of years ago... We can now carry swords... I have yet to see anyone carrying one though, other than at the Renaissance Festival and they did that even before we changed the laws... I do seem to remember seeing someone carrying an M7 bayonet in Wal-Mart right after the law went active though...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I was surprised to learn that my normal pocket knife was illegal in Scotland when I visited it. I didn't think it was a big deal, so I just filed it as an interesting quirk of British law...

Just looked up the laws and they are pretty ridiculous and it seems that they might even be serious about it:

Can't have "batons", but I can carry my 36" hickory club cane... Even on the plane with me... :)

Texas got rid of their knife restrictions a couple of years ago... We can now carry swords... I have yet to see anyone carrying one though, other than at the Renaissance Festival and they did that even before we changed the laws... I do seem to remember seeing someone carrying an M7 bayonet in Wal-Mart right after the law went active though...
Canes and walking sticks are very potent weapons in the right hands.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Canes and walking sticks are very potent weapons in the right hands.
If it is good enough for the abuse given it as the handle on a sledgehammer or maul, it will not have a durability problem against a relatively soft impact target like a human body (including bones). Also good for jabbing and keeping someone at a distance... A couple of jabs / strikes will probably deter an attacker more than just a dirty look... :)

From what I've gathered, in prison, the inmates will fashion weapons out of anything that they can put a point on -- it doesn't even have to have a cutting edge to be deadly. It could be as simple as a toothbrush with the end sharpened by rubbing it on the concrete.

Attack aggressively and keep poking holes in the person until they bleed out / quit moving...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Knife Rights is a quality organization in my opinion. It was started by Doug Ritter who runs Equipped.org. They have worked hard on behalf of knife owners countrywide. They were instrumental in overturning some bad laws recently. They have the backing of some bigger players in the knife world. They get my money along with pro 2A organizations.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Until 2017, Texas classified certain knives as illegal to carry unless you were in some sort of sporting endeavor / task that required it. I believe that it was any knife over 5.5" in blade length. Explicitly prohibited were Bowie Knives... Which, given Texas history is rather ironic... The thing was that they did not define what constitutes a "Bowie Knife"... I have to wonder if when that was put on the books, the term "Bowie knife" was that era's "assault rifle" scare phrase...

I usually only carry a knife that has around a 3-3.5" blade... That makes the overall closed length around 4" which does not make it too bulky in my pocket... It's a generic tool that gets used for a lot of things -- self defense is not its primary purpose...

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
22,456 Posts
My carry knives in Oregon will get me arrested in Washington across the river.

·
Registered
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't carry in Nevada or California what I normally carry in Utah.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
695 Posts
The age old question... Pirates vs Ninjas...

Flash photography Hat Lipstick Cap Event

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
I reckon if my first mate saw me with wenches it would probably be the last time.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I can't carry in Nevada or California what I normally carry in Utah.
I just looked up the Nevada laws and it appears that I have probably been in violation of them every time I've been to Nevada...

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
695 Posts
I reckon if my first mate saw me with wenches it would probably be the last time.
On the offroading forums / newsgroups, it was always good for a few laughs when someone said that they were getting a new wench for their Jeep and asked for suggestions...

Comments were usually along the line of "buxom and red-headed"... :)

·
Registered
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My wife says I can look at them, I can dance with them, I can eat with them, but I just can't go home with them. Sometimes, she will even point them out to me.

Reactions: 4Bama and NavCop

·
Registered
1 Posts

You are right! They might even be serious about knife laws. First guns than knives.

·
Registered
695 Posts
My wife says I can look at them, I can dance with them, I can eat with them, but I just can't go home with them. Sometimes, she will even point them out to me.
Let's see what she has to say when you come home with stripper dust all over you... :)

• Haha
Reactions: G26Raven
1 - 20 of 20 Posts