Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously thinking about picking one up next year at tax time, probably used. My main question concerns the reliability. Do these guns run pretty well?

Recoil isn't an issue, because if a gun of this caliber didn't have a lot of recoil, I would be disappointed. And yes, I know that the ammo is mega expensive.

·
Registered
571 Posts
What in the hell are you going to use a DEagle for?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm not man enough to carry the thing, you don't pick it up you lift it up. Let alone shoot it.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
What in the hell are you going to use a DEagle for?
Probably the same thing we all do with out firearms, whatever he wants, as long as it is legal and not stupid.

I have heard of some jamming issues, but I think that was mostly with the .357's, as the weapon needs a fair amount of recoil for the springs and slide to move properly.

I got to shoot one .50 one once, it was fun.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Eh, just go with a S&W 500, or the .460.
Reliable, ammo is more common atleast in my area, and a heck of a bit lighter.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Haven't shot the Deagle in .50, but I have shot it in .44mag. The gun is HEAVY so it helps reduce recoil.

One thing it DOESN'T like though: If you try to use an underhand two-hand grip (where your weak hand supports the weight of the gun by cupping the magazine well), it will not feed properly. The magazine have to 'float' or a jam will occur.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haven't shot the Deagle in .50, but I have shot it in .44mag. The gun is HEAVY so it helps reduce recoil.

One thing it DOESN'T like though: If you try to use an underhand two-hand grip (where your weak hand supports the weight of the gun by cupping the magazine well), it will not feed properly. The magazine have to 'float' or a jam will occur.
No, I hate the "cup and saucer" grip. To me, it looks like someone trying to emulate shooting one-handed across a rest. I do the "both hands on grip, thumbs overlapping" method.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me also add.....

I held a stainless one at the gun show this weekend. Nice and solid. I could see the weight helping with recoil.

This would definitely not be a carry gun. I can handle it, but it would only be for shooting (as I felt like buying the ammo) at the range.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I owned one for about 3 months. It took 2 people to field strip it. I ordered a chrome model about 8 years ago in .50. I think I paid 1200 for it new. Ammo costs a fortune and the recoil is miserable. Boy is it loud! The day I bought it I took it to an indoor range. A customer was sighting in his slug gun for deer season and as soon as I started shooting it he left. I never loaded more than 3 rounds in the mag at a time. I traded it for a colt AR and never looked back.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
IIRC they have a double spring that makes chambering a round ok if you have good arm strength,If you do get one save your brass and reload a single stage press with dies powder and primers will probably run you what 50 rounds of ammo would

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'd say go for it. It's your money, & you only go around once. Besides, I think everyone needs to have at least 1 fun gun in their inventory. Oh, & can I instead recommend a .22 for those squirrels? :rofl:

·
Registered
93 Posts
My brother had one a few years ago and he still regrets selling it. When we shot it we used shooting gloves so it would not fly out of our hands.

·
Registered
657 Posts
No, I hate the "cup and saucer" grip. To me, it looks like someone trying to emulate shooting one-handed across a rest. I do the "both hands on grip, thumbs overlapping" method.
:worthless:

Some of us aren't familiar with grip styles.
Some of us are still fairly clueless.. :theyareontome:

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:worthless:

Some of us aren't familiar with grip styles.
Some of us are still fairly clueless.. :theyareontome:
Well...I would need an "able assistant" to snap a picture of me demonstrating this. Besides, there are probably some better grip examples than mine that can be found.

:redface:

·
Registered
866 Posts
I think that the .50AE would be perfect for squirrels AND snakes! If you have the money to spend on a toy like that then I say AWESOME! I want to shoot one of those things badly. If you get it we want pictures big time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts