Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently carry a shield 9 or an M&P 9C.
I usually get out to the range every Saturday and Sunday for about an hour 1/2 or so each day, sometimes
once midweek as well. I've been doing this pretty consistently now for about a year, so I am going through
a decent amount of ammo. I usually look for deals online or at my local LGS and buy whatever is "on sale"
I predominantly shoot 124gr but I will occasionally grab some 115gr, just to validate that I still like 124gr better.
My usuals are
Blazer Brass
American Eagle.
Aquila
Lawman
Magtech
for 115 I will grab
American Eagle
Blazer Brass
Fiocchi
Sellier and Bellot

lately I've been taking 150 rounds with me each time I go
3 boxes all different brands, so today I went with the Magtech, the Blazer and the Lawman.
Through both my M&Ps I found the Lawman to consistently stay on target more and group tighter
than the Blazer and the Magtech.
The blazer wasn't far behind , but the Magtech was flying all over the place.
Yesterday I shot Blazer, American Eagle, and the Fiocchi 115.
the American Eagle was a bit better than the Blazer (not by much) and for 115 I loved the Fiocchi (surprisingly so)
through my Shield.
I find the Aguila to be on par with the Blazer.
So I've been buying Blazer in bulk for a while now , but I think I'm going to start leaning towards Lawman and American Eagle
if I can find it at the same price as Blazer or close to it. It seems that 124gr is always more expensive than 115 except when it comes to Blazer or Aguila, so I've been shooting a lot of those 2 but after shooting the Lawman now 2 days in a row?

Anyone else here find a 9mm brand that they feel shoots superior to others just for range use and
just stick with that round, or is it more of 'whatever is cheapest type of decision?
in the brands I've listed the range is between $9.99 to $11.99 with the american eagle the most expensive and the Blazer/Aguila the cheapest, so it's usually a $20.00 difference per thousand or so.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Perfecta 115 gr and Federal Champion 115 gr tend to be very consistent & reliable in my Shield. The Tula steel cased was not so consistent.

Reactions: kmanick

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfecta 115 gr and Federal Champion 115 gr tend to be very consistent & reliable in my Shield. The Tula steel cased was not so consistent.
Tula actually jams my shield to hell so I avoid it, and I can't use it indoors at my range anyway so no big loss.
I've only shot the Federal Champion aluminum. Not bad but they only seem to make it in 115gr.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've actually had good results with Sig Sauer's ammo, though I've only been able to find it in 115 get so far. It runs fairly clean in my gun, and goes bang every time. American Eagle, in various grains, also works well. I actually carry either Gold Dot 124 gr +P or HST 147 gr for defensive ammo, but for range ammo, those two have been best thus far. I do have some Blazer in the stockpile, picked it up because it was on sale, but haven't fired any of it yet.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Federal HST is what I use for JHP in my 9's and my .45. they've been very reliable through all 3 of my firearms.

·
Registered
782 Posts
For range ammo, Fiocchi 115 gr. runs my Shield 9mm just fine. So does American Eagle. All my range ammo is 115 gr.

My carry ammo and HD ammo is 124 gr Federal HST. I don't really notice much difference at all when I shoot 124 gr HST and 115 gr Fiocchi side by side at the range.

Check with SGammo.com for some good bulk ammo prices, and some really good prices on Fed HST and Gold Dot in 50 round boxes.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Federal Champion doesn't work well for any of my guns in any calibers. However, as to accuracy and different brands/weights, of course I see a difference. Different weights can certainly give different results. As far as most accurate target ammo, honestly Magtech performs best for me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've found Aguila 124g target rounds to be very consistent from round to round and box to box. I run 147 HST's in my G-19 and 150g HST for micro pistols in my G-43. The Aguila has functioned flawlessly in both.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
My range ammunition is 124FMJ/mixed head stamp brass/Winchester AutoComp/CCI or Winchester primers. The accuracy is rather good.

·
Super Moderator
19,873 Posts
Since I reload, most of my 9mm practice ammo is of my own making. However, I've found the 100-round bulk-pack Winchester 115 gr throws patterns rather than groups in the Kahr I carry often.

Make sure you try 124 and 147 gr loads for practice. The 147s will hit higher or lower than the 115s and 124s, but you can deal with that if they end up being more accurate in your gun.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
The anmo I load myself always shoots the best.

Reactions: dangerranger

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I use Winchester white box. My M&Ps and Colts have no problem with it. I also run Hornady critical defense and duty once in a while.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Winchester 9mm NATO is my preference when I buy a few 1000 round cases at a time. Having said that, I don't really see much difference with range ammo. In a perfect world I would only shoot Black Hills 124gr. XTP's for practice.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I tend to buy what's on sale staying away from steel casings. Recently got a case of Lawman 124 grn for $220.00, ordered a case of Blazer 124 grn the other night for $200.00.
I currently have in my stock Remington 115grn,124grn,147 grn-Remington quality seems to have gone downhill lately probably wont buy anymore of that unless its really cheap. I also have Geco 124 grn, Aquila 124 grn, lawman 124 grn, 115 grn xtp124 xtp,147 grn xtp loaded by Freedom- I would not recommend Freedoms ammo although they have good prices on Remington at times. I also have 115 JHP by Remington that is loaded pretty hot and expands well with jacket/lead separation. I gave up on reloads from the gun show.
I shoot several times a week and sometimes I notice Im not hitting consistently which is probably ammo quality

·
Registered
642 Posts
Slickguns had a deal for Speer Lawman 9mm Luger Ammo 147 Grain Total Metal Jacket, that came yesterday, after i go to the range I'll try to give you an update.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Back with the update: No problems with that ammo accuracy was spot on recoil was very manageable. I've heard some members say that they've experienced discomfort the snubbies present but after sending over a hundred rounds down range I've yet to experience any discomfort whatsoever, doesn't matter if its 158Gr or the supersonic 50 Gr projectile its all the same to me. One thing i will say, after shooting that revolver then picking up a 9MM semi-auto the trigger in the 9MM seems to melt under my touch.

·
Registered
642 Posts
One other thing I'd like to add for those that aren't aware, different grain bullets will have a different point of impact on the target. For those that have acquired a new and untested cartridge "don't" use it in your defensive carry firearm until you've tested it. This morning i was surprised at just how much difference it makes, a two or three inch difference is nothing to sneeze at.

Just sayin.

·
Registered
273 Posts
this isn't the Olympics,. I am sure your target won't mind if you it it two inches to the left or the right ;-)

those questions are more appropriate if we talk about rifles with scopes etc,.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts