Votes: 22 24.2%
  • It doesn't make a difference

Votes: 69 75.8%
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fully believe most will disagree with me, and those in Alaska don't have a choice, but here it goes: Col. John Boyd (and I'm sure many others) said that the first to spot the "attack" has the upper hand. Now, if the "attack-ee" can see the attacker first, the "attack-ee" has the upper hand, but if the attacker can spot his/her victim first, the attacker has the upper hand. Well at night, it would be easy for the innocent to lose the upper hand being in the dark. I know a lot of the people here preach "avoid trouble, situational awareness, stay away from the stupids, and common sense" (and justly so), but how many people avoid going out after dark, if possible? I understand some carry lights or lasers, but the goal is (or should be) to never have to use force, and avoid trouble. I also understand that we are humans, with life to live. There's an old saying: "What's life if you can't live". So how many try to stay in with the moon?

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
I like doing shopping at Krogers around 8-9PM. Sometimes we sit out side with neighbors at night too.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
I do what I want when I want. I am not really sure if you are asking folks if they are afriad of the night. In NH (where I use to live and vacationing now) I go for runs after dark.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do what I want when I want. I am not really sure if you are asking folks if they are afriad of the night. In NH (where I use to live and vacationing now) I go for runs after dark.
Not afraid, just if they try to avoid it. But, like Kennydale, I will go to my neighbor's after dark. I don't really consider that going out, though.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think it makes sense to avoid certain places after dark. I wouldn't say that I stay in completely. There are certain neighborhoods that I will avoid after dark. You have to have a risk-based mentality, "Is the gain that I can derive from this activity worth the risk?" Going grocery shopping in a good neighborhood with a well-lit parking lot at 9:00 is worth the risk to me. Taking a shortcut through a sketch area on the wrong side of the tracks at the same time is not.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
You can't put yourself in a self imposed prison, just use good common sense. Life gives no guarantees.

·
Premium Member
8,833 Posts
In some places the sun may offer protection, and in some places it won't; criminals are always looking for an opportunity - I try not to give them one no matter the time of day.

So there are some places I will go to after dark, and there are some places I won't even go to in the light of day.

·
Administrator
144,354 Posts
I can see your point. Sort of. For certain...there are truly bad areas that you probably do not want to get stuck in after the Sun goes down.

But, they are not usually places that I really want to be when the Sun is shining bright.

In my area I go out when I want to go out. If I were to place voluntary handcuffs on my own personal freedom then I allow the Bad Guys to win.

Afterthought: And if multitudes of armed Good Guys all go out when it's dark then the Bad Guys pretty much lose the Bad Guy game.

Nighttime is really just Daytime with less light. Good situational awareness will work under all lighting conditions.

These days in populated areas there is usually so much ambient light that it never seems to really get truly DARK.

·
8,501 Posts
I own the night. So, no. I'm not afraid to go outside after dark.

Reactions: Keith44

·
Premium Member
8,210 Posts
I go where i want to go or have to go for my work . I have been on the Marc train stations at night with gunfire and cops rolling up and down the street all night . Till the first light ,did that job for about a month. The Rats running down the track bed were the least to be concerned about .

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I will not restrict my enjoyments to daylight hours for fear those with bad intentions may target me. If they try, I am confident I have put far more rounds down range than them, and will act accordingly, or I will die trying. That simple

Reactions: Keith44

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I tend to be in before dark keeps me sorta close to my work schedule. Same work schedule may be changed without notice due to call offs etc. Then I come home after dark. Can the dark be dangerous? Yes, but one of our worst local tragedies the Carson City IHOP shooting occurred in broad daylight.Stay aware, stay armed and stay safe.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts