Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a New York State resident I am very curious to hear stories of fellow NY CCW being pulled over by LEOs. Although I have not been pulled over for several years, statistics will inevitably prevail! :boese51:

Your stories are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Before I became a LEO in NY when I was pulled over on a car stop I never informed the LEO I was armed unless I knew I was going to be asked to step out of the vehicle. I feel you are making a simple traffic stop into something more than it should be and raise the risks of a bad interaction with the cop stopping you. In NYS you must inform, but concealed is concealed.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If ever pulled over, I will inform of my CCW. If so, In addition to my driver license will hand over my CCW license and inform of a loaded CCW. Proper phraesology is key. Something like the following:

"Sir, I am lawfully carrying a loaded firearm on my person. My CCW license is an unrestricted "Full Carry" issued by Westchester County."

Of course while the conversation is taking place, my hand is on the steering wheel at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions.

For those who are unfamiliar with the term Full Carry, it is the equivalent of a unrestricted CCW license. Only in New York.

I welcome other phraseology to assist me .

·
Registered
55 Posts
Before I became a LEO in NY when I was pulled over on a car stop I never informed the LEO I was armed unless I knew I was going to be asked to step out of the vehicle. I feel you are making a simple traffic stop into something more than it should be and raise the risks of a bad interaction with the cop stopping you. In NYS you must inform, but concealed is concealed.
I am a former New York LEO, and I have had an unrestricted pistol permit for for over thirty years. Back then cops could buy handguns "on the tin", so I got a permit to cover myself if I ever left the job, which I eventually did.

You are not required in New York to inform a police officer that you are carrying a sidearm. So if stopped, I keep the information to myself, unless I was ordered out of the vehicle. While socializing with my former partners, the subject comes up, but to a man they could care less.

I always found it facinating that with all the stringent gun laws in New York State, the information regarding a CCL does not show up on a data check of driver's license....seems that would be usefull information to a LEO on a traffic stop:smile:

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Not that I carry in NYS or ever will, since I have no intention of ever moving there, but can you give a reference that you must inform in NY. Only reference I found said no requirement to inform.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have been stopped twice in NY (NOT NY CITY). The last time was over 20 years ago. No need to inform, but in both cases I did.

Both were for speeding, but I have since learned better, and in each case I was issued a ticket and that was all.

One stop was by a local police officer and the other by a NY State Trooper.

bosco

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Better check again before you start quoting law, you DO NOT have to inform in NYS.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Just two weeks ago I was stopped. I turned off the engine and sat with my hands on the wheel and fingers extended while officer approached. I told him that I wanted to inform him that I was carrying concealed and he thanked me for the heads-up. I asked if he wanted to see my permit and he politely declined and told me to relax and that he was only stopping me to inform me that I had outstanding parking tickets (his plate hunter cameras spotted me) and my registration was suspended for non-payment of parking tickets. He let me go and suggested I get them resolved quickly. I went next day and paid nearly $300. He never asked me to step out, show ID, or surrender weapon. He was a nice guy. From now on I'm going top pay my tickets when they are $30 and not $300.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If ever pulled over, I will inform of my CCW. If so, In addition to my driver license will hand over my CCW license and inform of a loaded CCW. Proper phraesology is key. Something like the following:

"Sir, I am lawfully carrying a loaded firearm on my person. My CCW license is an unrestricted "Full Carry" issued by Westchester County."

Of course while the conversation is taking place, my hand is on the steering wheel at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions.

For those who are unfamiliar with the term Full Carry, it is the equivalent of a unrestricted CCW license. Only in New York.

"I have a concealed weapons license and I am armed!"

·
Registered
517 Posts
I never have been but my dad was. It was an Oneida county sheriff. She came up to his window, he informed her that he had a legally registered handgun on his hip and she told him to leave it where it was and asked for his license and registration stuff. No issues, she was friendly about it. Still gave him a ticket :tongue:

·
Registered
894 Posts
about two months ago I was driving down the road (Creek Street to be exact) on my Goldwing and went through some "S" turns and Low sided........

don't worry the bike is fine, other than a bent front left crash bar.

Me! on the other hand got some nasty road-rash on my left shoulder, cracked a couple of ribs and sprained my left ankle.

My wife got a very small scratch on her left ring finger, that was it? :scruntiny:

the 'bambulance folks showed up and asked me to remove my shirt, I informed them that could not because i was carrying a firearm. The said "thats nice, get in the bus and take it off in there"

i said "okee-dokee"

A nice Monroe county Sheriff showed up and asked for my drivers license, I handed him my drivers license and my permit. he looked at it kind of curiously when I said "I'm carrying the Ruger LCP"

The nice officer said "you sure? or should I go start looking through that nice ladies front yard for a hand gun" :haha:

I started to laugh and said "nope I got it on my right hip, thats the third thing I checked after my wife, then the bike"

he said "ok, here take this I don't need it (He handed back my permit ) I'll be right back" ( I presume he went and checked out my license)

Long story short, most NYS cops could careless you have a firearm? which seems kind of weird because of the way the legislature is trying there best to restrict hand guns:comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Can anyone cite reference to New York state law that states no need to inform leo if pulled over?

Here, knockyourselfout :gah:

Laws of New York

Go to-----> Penal---->{scroll down to}-----> article 265.........which pretty much covers NYS hand gun laws

I do not believe there is any mention of notifying LEO

·
Registered
587 Posts
Can anyone cite reference to New York state law that states no need to inform leo if pulled over?
Typically the way laws work is that there's only a law when something is required or prohibited. In states where notification is mandated, there's a law requiring it. In states where it isn't required, there's no such law. Nobody's going to come up with a specific law that says you don't have to notify, just like nobody's going to come up with a law that says you can make coffee in the morning. You can just do it, since there's no law about it.

·
Registered
587 Posts

"I have a gun!" :bier:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Long story short, most NYS cops could careless you have a firearm? which seems kind of weird because of the way the legislature is trying there best to restrict hand guns:comeandgetsome:
You have to understand that representation in the legislature is based on population, and the majority of the population is in New York City. So they are going to have a huge misguided influence on gun laws upstate.

Sometimes I wish they would become their own state and leave us upstaters alone.

·
Registered
894 Posts
You have to understand that representation in the legislature is based on population, and the majority of the population is in New York City. So they are going to have a huge misguided influence on gun laws upstate.

Sometimes I wish they would become their own state and leave us upstaters alone.

I'll drink to that:five01::018:

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Nope. No requirement to inform. Only when asked or if the handgun will become visible should you then tell them.

Also, use the Firearm word, not the Weapon word. It will go better.

·
Registered
522 Posts
NY State

A long time ago I lived in Wayne county, NY I worked as a two-way radio technician, and had to go into "bad" areas, both during the day and on night call outs. Being I am a smaller guy, I opted for a PPK.
(Hey, if its good enough for James Bond, its good enough for me, LOL)
I had finished a call out at 4AM and wanted to get some coffee and breakfest before going in for my regular shift, so I went into the first restaurant open, a "Big Boy". Turned out to be a on-duty cop coffee bar (free coffee for LEOs). I had on a jacket and the PPK was in a waistband holster. I guess its outline became apparent when I sat at the counter on a stool, so one of the cops came over and asked if I was armed? I said yes, and I have a permit. He said I want to see it. I said "the firearm or the permit?". He said "gun, first". So, I drew it out slowly, and popped the clip. I handed him the PPK and put the clip in my pocket, then got out my permit and handed it over. (Note: I popped the clip because it would not fire with it . The LEOs were issued model 10 revolvers, and I was afraid he would light off a round trying to clear it.)
His next remark is classic. He held up the PPK and said to the other LEOs, "hey, he has a better gun than they give us". Then he returned the gun and permit.
Things go better when you cooperate and don't act sarcastic.

Note: in Florida your permit shows when they run your plates and get to the DL# for the owner. Although Florida is a not inform state, I will, to keep from some new LEO from over reacting to the "discovery" of a firearm.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Note: in Florida your permit shows when they run your plates and get to the DL# for the owner. Although Florida is a not inform state, I will, to keep from some new LEO from over reacting to the "discovery" of a firearm.
That's incorrect information. Each individual agency after the traffic stop can note a Florida CWP in their independent agency computer system, however only other LEO's within that agency can see you have a CWP. It's not state wide information...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts