Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had an old spare BCG lying around for some time now, but the only problem is that the bolt carrier doesn't work well in my AR's (FTE's). The bolt itself works fine if I switch it to another bolt carrier. The only difference I can see is that the gas key is set about 1mm farther back than my other AR's, and the key itself is about 1mm shorter. I figured this may be the cause if it wasn't lining up right with the gas hole on the bolt carrier.

So anyways I ordered a new one from Brownells. The only variable I see is staking the screws. Is this pretty straight forward to do with basic hand tools? Pointed punch, exc? I did some research and got mixed viewpoints. Thanks!

·
Registered
450 Posts
If you're going to be staking a lot of gas keys then it would be worth it to buy the special tool. For what you're doing just use a center punch and a hammer.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just a thought here, but if you are never going to disassemble it, could you have someone TIG weld tack the head of the screw to the key?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a thought here, but if you are never going to disassemble it, could you have someone TIG weld tack the head of the screw to the key?
Since it's basically a parts BCG I'd rather retain the ability to remove the gas key should I want it for another gun. I'm not sure if your supposed to re-use those puppies, but either way, I'd rather be able to get it off.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have, and a regular punch is fine. I had a screw shear off, and turned it into a single shot because of blow by. I replaced both screws and staked them. It's been great ever since. I go from the sides, and make sure the metal contacts the screw after being torqued, not just covering it up. That friction will keep it from backing out. I also used red thread locker, so it'll take a torch to get it to the required temp to let go again.

·
Administrator
143,579 Posts
Hit YouTube and search Staking A Gas Key or Properly Staked Gas Key.

You can easily make a respectable job of it yourself. :yup:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, thanks fella's, it seemed like something within my talent range but figured I'd check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts