Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I ask is that I have a stainless 1911 that's susceptible to rusting for some unknown reason. I store it in my safe with several other pistols of various brand names, none of which ever showed signs of rusting. I don't use the 1911 very often and thoroughly clean and oil it after each use. I meticulously take care of all my weapons but this one will very quickly show signs of surface rust. I'm wondering if wrapping it in a name brand silicone cloth would alleviate the problem? Does anyone do this?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Wow. What make/model? I wonder if they used contaminated overseas stainless? How's your safe dehumidifier functioning? Try treating with Froglube? You can pre-heat all the metal parts to open the pores and then nylon brush in the lube. Let it cool and wipe down. We used to treat cast iron tablesaw beds in the same manner and it works very well.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Not a bad idea for a gun that sits in the safe most of the time.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I've stored them in silicon infused gun socks. Relatively inexpensive, and works well.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
400 Posts
I like that idea. Silicon cloths are a fantastic idea. I always end a cleaning with a wipe down with one if these, and I do think they help with protecting the finish.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate to say it but make and model is a stainless Dan Wesson, Valor and its perfect in every way but this rust problem. The rust appears in one or two locations either side of the slide just behind the muzzle and if let go could relay mar the looks of the gun. I do use desiccants but no humidifier. However as I said, I've kept numerous brands and models, of handguns in this same safe for years at a time with never the slightest sign of rust. I've spoken to Dan Wesson and basically their reply was; "all guns rust". Although, after just about having to beg them, they did replace the thumb safety last August as the rust was very prominent there. Here's a picture of the thumb safety they replaced. Needless to say, I'm extremely disappointed with their apparent new attitude regarding this problem. Poor customer service indeed. :aargh4:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Wow. What make/model? I wonder if they used contaminated overseas stainless? How's your safe dehumidifier functioning? Try treating with Froglube? You can pre-heat all the metal parts to open the pores and then nylon brush in the lube. Let it cool and wipe down. We used to treat cast iron tablesaw beds in the same manner and it works very well.
Shirley, you can't be serious...

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
I store many of mine in silicone treated cloth pouches with Velcro flap from Bore Stores. Inexpensive, soft fluffy material, that cushions the gun as well. Good protection in the safe.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I have always had excellent results with G96 aerosol gun treatment. I use it on all guns liberally and wipe off with a terrycloth hand towel. Never a problem. For some reason it clings to the metal surface. I have even used it on machined engine parts that sit outside under a canvas all winter. No rust. But you might also want to consider getting your 1911 coated with some of the high tech coatings that are out today.

These guys look good: https://robarguns.com/custom-firearm-finishes/

Reactions: Mardet65
1 - 10 of 10 Posts