Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would never do this on a regular basis, but suppose you want to occasionally "slap the gun on" just to take a walk or something? I'm talking about walking around with it for maybe an hour or less and you don't want to fool with a belt. I'm also talking strictly about the clip type, not one with belt loops. Just snap it over the side of the pants and go.

Anyone do this?

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Nope Gravity requires I wear a belt

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
It wouldn't be my first choice (obviously) but I could do it if I carried something lighter than what I have now (G30).

Fortunately, I've gotten used to wearing a belt and putting on my gun is part of my morning routine, just like making sure I've got my cell phone and wallet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do this with a Glock 30 in an MTAC holster while wearing cargo shorts or board shorts. I do have the C clips on the MTAC.

It would probably depend on your normal fit in your clothes though as well as what type of clothing (shorts/jeans etc.) you were wearing. The board shorts and the cargo shorts both have a waistband that doesn't stretch so the retention and stability are good. I'm sure you would have a different experience in sweats or even a loose fitting pair of jeans.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I wear an IWB clip holster without a belt probably more often then I should. Gravity does get in the way if the pants are too loose, but if the pants (preferably jeans on my part) are tight enough, I have had no real problem. I use a Don Hume IWB with a clip for both of my 1911's and also on the rare occassion that I carry a Beretta 92. The Don Hume holster almost takes an act of God to come loose ( a good thing)and my 1911's and/or the Beretta fit real well inside a pair of Wranglers.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I do on occasion with my j frame, usually if I am running to the store or other quick trip away from the house.

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a cheap clip-type IWB holster that was laying in a drawer. It's made of "glove leather" so it's not too sturdy. But just as an experiment, I tried this with cargo pants the other night and it fit perfectly. That's why I brought it up. I couldn't imagine really needing a belt with something like this. In some really flimsy shorts, yes, a belt would be needed, but if the pants are pretty sturdy I don't see it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I do all the time. See nothing wrong with it. If you pants fit the added width of the holster keeps it secure. I carry my P32 and Rami this way amost of the time. Not fond of belts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I often carry a P3AT this way, using a light pigskin holster with a secure metal clip IWB. Since I wear regular-cut jeans there is never a 'gravity' problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I do this all the time with either a P40 or a sw99c. IWB appendix. I do it because it is easy, dependable, and very concealed.

Rick

·
Super Moderator
50,583 Posts
I have done this with a Fist #41 and my KelTec P-380...very secure.:yup:

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it looks like I may already have this matter licked. I had a Comp-Tac Infidel laying in a drawer and had almost completely forgotten about it since getting the Crossbreed SuperTuck. In case you don't know, the Infidel is all Kydex. Yes, I prefer leather but this works fine for my purposes.

So I decided to try an experiment. I took the XD 45 Compact (unloaded and cleared), tucked it in and tried a test draw. The holster came right out with it.

So I tightened the screws that hold the clip so it could grip the pants tighter, then slightly loosened the screws that control gun retention. Voila! Beltless IWB! The tension of the pants' waistline holds it all together solidly, and the extra tightness on the clip keeps the holster intact on the draw.

Next I tried it with the magazine loaded but nothing chambered. Same result.

Granted, this wouldn't be how I would walk around all day but it looks like a nice "slap on and go" option.

Either way, I'm happy.

:smile:

EDIT: And for those deeply concerned, no, I won't be trying this with the GP100!

:ahhhhh:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I can't keep empty pants up without a belt, much less all the crap I carry.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I do this sometimes too. Can't do it with all my guns but I do it with a couple of them.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I use a Don Hume IWB with a clip. The Don Hume holster almost takes an act of God to come loose
+1 :hand10: These are good IWB holsters for CC options. I use one daily.

·
Registered
238 Posts
any other recomendations for IWB, non belt wearers?
With a belt, I wear a Crossbreed unless I'm going to be stopping at a place that doesn't allow carry (like a doctor's office)and I'm going to have to disarm in the car - then I use a Remora.

I can also wear a Remora with gym shorts with a drawstring. I don't wear shorts without either a belt or drawstring, so I couldn't address that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts