Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, is the Tipton "Best Gun Vise" (Tipton Best Gun Vise) a worthwhile addition to my supplies?

I am currently looking for some sort of vise/stand that would be beneficial to have for mounting scopes, assembling lowers, ect... as well as cleaning and routine maintenance.

Granted, I am sure having a vise on my 600 pound, rock solid reloading/workbench would be the best plan, but with my current living situation, that is not an option.

If there are better options out there in the <$100 range, I would like to hear about those as well.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
I do. It's sitting right behind me. It's a great gun vise for under $100. You can work on pistols, rifles, and AR variants with it. I've used mine quite a bit and I'm very happy with it. It's good for what it is. Just remember that plastic has limitations and you'll be fine.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the plastic construction does concern me a little bit.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I don't own one, but I regularly use a borrowed one. Completely satisfied!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
I have one. The only thing I use it for is mounting scopes.
I use this one much more for general gun holding and cleaning Amazon.com : Tipton Gun Butler : Hunting Cleaning And Maintenance Products : Sports & Outdoors
The "vise" is a joke, but it will hold a rifle level for scope mounting, provided you don't torque on the rifle too much.
Yeah. I wouldn't try to torque an AR barrel in a plastic gun vise. But I do a lot more than PA with mine. I've gutted and customized my 10/22. I've done mods to my Springfield XD Tactical. And, of course, I've used it for cleaning. The sliding L piece lets you do just about anything from a long handgun barrel to a rifle action removed from the stock.

Like I said, I've got no complaints and you'll really like it, as long as you don't have unrealistic expectations. Like tightening an AR barrel to torque specs in that vise.

·
Banned
3,284 Posts
Not for that price IMO. You can find something just as functional for half that easy.
Honestly and thinking about the pic from your link. How many folks don't bother to pull the front pin on their AR and clean the upper half and lower half separately?
MTM Gun Vise

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
You can do either with the Tipton, JD. Move the middle if you keep them together it rest part of the rifle on it for support if you've pulled the pin

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I've had one for 3-4 years now. I use it regularly for cleaning my AR and mounting a scope on my M1A. I could probably use it for other rifles and shotguns - just haven't thought of it when I'm cleaning them. It's more than durable enough for those types of operations, and I'm very satisfied with it.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since they are currently on sale for $64 from Amazon, I ordered one, which showed up last week.

The construction seems okay, but I am not going to trust that vice to hold anything I have to put a lot of torque on. I think for cleaning, mounting scopes, boresighting, maintenance ect... it should work pretty well.

I do like how adjustable it is to allow for working on a very wide range of guns.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I just built a wooden cradle to hold my rifles while cleaning. If I really need a vice, I've got a large industrial Wilson vise bolted to my bench. Plus 2 barrel vises and a receiver vise (I change out my own rifle barrels).

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
I saw someone said the Tipton was concerning being plastic. Do you think the CTK steel one would be better. I saw a couple good reviews on them https://gunscleaner.com/best-gun-vise-maintenance-center/ but the CTK are a little more expensive. So if the tipton is fine I probably wouldn't spend the extra money.
I have two Tipton's now. I use them to hold the gun in place while I work on it either out in the shop or in the house on the bench. I also have a vise on both benches for work that the Tipton is unsuited for.

I wouldn't combine a shooting rest and a gun vise, though.

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
I've had one for a couple of years now. I have used it infrequently, but it has sufficed in everything I've needed it for. It is a decent tool for the price.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Like the title says, is the Tipton "Best Gun Vise" (Tipton Best Gun Vise) a worthwhile addition to my supplies?

I am currently looking for some sort of vise/stand that would be beneficial to have for mounting scopes, assembling lowers, ect... as well as cleaning and routine maintenance.

Granted, I am sure having a vise on my 600 pound, rock solid reloading/workbench would be the best plan, but with my current living situation, that is not an option.

If there are better options out there in the <$100 range, I would like to hear about those as well.
I've used one for many decades. Actually since they first came out. Still on my first one. Now mind you, I only use it for cleaning, not shooting. I second the caution that you not work it over with a 10 pound sledge hammer or run over it with a pickup and it will serve you as long as mine has.

Mine doesn't have the post in the middle though. And I would never torque a barrel on an Ar-15 in one. I use a regular BIG steel vise with a barrel fixture for that task.

Reactions: airslot
1 - 18 of 18 Posts