Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than PD officers? Was wondering. I have a vest from my former occupation, but don't wear it as the risk does not warrant it in my area(my opinion). I have considered donning it for metro travel times , but haven't had the opportunity yet.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
As a Constable, I am LE, but not working for a PD.

I have and wear a vest when serving papers or making an arrest. As soon as I'm done, I can't wait to take it off! It's the most uncomfortable thing to wear for any length of time. Since I am wearing a firearm IWB during the warmer months, the side edges of the vest also get in the way of the gun . . . OWB is no problem and preferred carry when more clothing is appropriate.

It probably doesn't help that I've gained ~15# since I bought the vest. I really need to take that weight off plus some!

·
Administrator
143,825 Posts
Rarely

I own a Theat Level IIIA w/ a hard Titanium & soft trauma plate.
It is decently heavy.
I don't wear it much at all these days.
Only when I go to house & "estate" sales in a few really crappy areas of Pittsburgh...then I sure do feel better having it on.

·
Banned
270 Posts
Not until they invent the Bullet-Proof t-shirt! BA sucks! If you are an open target (read: uniform & gun) then it makes sense, but not EDC as a citizen.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
If I had one it might be used very occasionally - but I cannot justify the cost plus - the way I sweat in summer, I doubt I'd survive in it even without being shot at LOL!

Other eve Discovery had a documentary deal about the N Hollywood shootout. One guy was Phillips (forget other's name) and he had body armor all over - and just stood taking rounds while spraying his AK.

The 2 BG's apparently fired well over 1,000 rounds. Unfortunately the reporting had a field day because of BG's AP bullet use.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep, the N. Hollywood BG's used extensive body armor, too bad the PD didn't get their request for Carbie patrol rifles. Would have ended the stand off much quicker.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I have a second level III tac vest next to my bed (my primary vest is in my G-car) ready to slip on if things go "bump" in the night.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I used to keep my behind the seat & as part of the bump in the night roll out gear. Used to wear it on certain EMT runs. was one of the few MPs that wore one in the early eighties. Took a certain amount of guff from some MPs most of the older guys were appreciative though.
I am a strong advocate for LEs wearing them and anyone that might goes in harms way to have one.
Rob

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've got a IIIA with a titanium plate as well as an older hard trauma plate for it. I've worn it a few times, and spent 3 years wearing BA every day. Honestly, the threat would have to be pretty severe for me to justify wearing it. As Jim says, open carry and a uniform. Otherwise, it's just too restrictive. And hot. Not so heavy, maybe 6 lbs. For now, it sits in my closet.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sure they do Bud, Lots of old cops much bigger than you. In fact my old Sargent went by the nick name "Dobo", short for Pillsbury doughboy.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
rocky said:
sure they do Bud, Lots of old cops much bigger than you. In fact my old Sargent went by the nick name "Dobo", short for Pillsbury doughboy.

Lol

unless i can get the whole deal BP cup and all im not intersted ...lol

·
Administrator
143,825 Posts
I guess a person can "get used to" anything if they don't have any choice but, I don't know how LEOs wear Body Armor all day in summer heat. Sure beats catching a bullet but, not by much. That stuff is HOT!
I know that they have undershirts that wick away perspiration but, God that hasta get pretty doggone uncomfortable after a while. :dead:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Level II synergy concealable from first choice. I wear it on the range teaching or when I am riding home at night from my business. (Bike path is a little dark.;))

Jacob

·
Registered
134 Posts
had a discussion a while back on another forum about this. it was amusing that one person who claims to wear BA every day (unless its over 90 degrees!) is convinced that he will be able to actively engage threats, even after taking hits, but feels that any bad guy who wears armor will not.

theres a rambo in every group though.

wait, rambo didnt wear BA.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Don't see a need to waste the money if not a LEO, Special Security or something. How would you as a Civilian justify wearing it. Just my 2cents. Moreover, it would just scream "Look at me."

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
some of the BA is very concealable. I would rather try to explain wearing it than the alternative. I may keep my BA near the bed , just in case. Never considered this option before.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wear a vest once in a while.I always have one on when I am out hunting.But when I am at work it just gets too dam hot to wear one.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Vest

I am a bicycle patrol officer and wear a vest on my 30+ mile daily routine patrol verified by on board computer. If you cats think you get funky walking to and fro consider what it is like to pedal up and down hills in VA during the summer months with the vest and duty belt!!! The first gen vest's where like wearing kevlar box's but the new stuff is comfy in comparrison. For all you vets remember what it was like to hump all your gear including rifle on our nature walks with the 1st sargeant! The vest has saved many lives from not only gun shots but blunt trauma in vehicle accidents. It (vest due to weight) is a great conditioning tool and I walk with a 75lb. weighted vest for approximately 40 minutes 3 times a week for workout. :weightlifter:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts