Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Anyone who Panics at the Sight of a Gun is an Idiot

Or was or had a family member who was a victim of violence involving a firearm. Then it may be more they are suffering from the anxiety of a gun close to them, ptsd if they were personally involved in an incident involving a gun [ like they were robbed, pistol whipped, experienced home invaders, etc ], had a relative commit suicide with a gun or developed a phobia for any number of negative experiences with a gun.

Disclose/determine why they are panicking, there may be more reason/s than just being an idiot.

·
Registered
999 Posts
My wife used to be afraid of guns. She is not an idiot. She was uneducated. I asked my son to ask her to go shoot with him. She is now the best shot in the family and able to handle a firearm responsibly.

Those who judge others in their ignorance. That is idiocy.

·
Premium Member
33,869 Posts
Anyone who refers to an entire group of people as idiots is, well...

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
Idiocy is only one reason why one might panic at the sight of a gun.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
When I was a small child, I was bit in the face by a black dog. I was afraid of black dogs for a long time, till I have enough good experiences to show me black dogs weren’t evil.

The premise that people who panic at the sight of something are idiots shows a complete lack of understanding of even basic psychology.

·
Registered
Pistoleer
492 Posts
Last week I directly showed my fiancée one of my pistols. This is the first firearm she has ever seen in person. Although we talked about it previously and she was willing to see it, she did panic a bit. I was prepared for this and was ready to address it when she began to get nervous. She is willing to eventually in the future learn the basics of how to use a pistol but I figured there would be an initial issue with her viewing the weapon for the first time. She very slowly got comfortable holding it and she even dry fired it once. I think sometimes firearms enthusiasts can overlook those who don't immediately identify with our interest and comfort level with firearms so its important for us to occasionally reflect on that.

·
Registered
34,523 Posts
When I was a small child, I was bit in the face by a black dog. I was afraid of black dogs for a long time, till I have enough good experiences to show me black dogs weren’t evil.
Wait until you run into a high-capacity black assault dog!

·
Registered
7,946 Posts

Or was or had a family member who was a victim of violence involving a firearm. Then it may be more they are suffering from the anxiety of a gun close to them, ptsd if they were personally involved in an incident involving a gun [ like they were robbed, pistol whipped, experienced home invaders, etc ], had a relative commit suicide with a gun or developed a phobia for any number of negative experiences with a gun.

Disclose/determine why they are panicking, there may be more reason/s than just being an idiot.
My advice to those people would be to get a gun to protect themselves.

Reactions: oldIthink

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
So you're advice to someone who suffers from ptsd due to gun violence [ one example ] and fears firearms is to "get a gun"?

Somehow I don't think that suggestion would fly with the psychologists treating said people.

·
Registered
10,250 Posts

There's a mic drop right there.

·
Premium Member
33,869 Posts
Unsolicited advice, yeah, that's the ticket...

1 - 20 of 170 Posts