Defensive Carry banner

Anyone who Panics at the Sight of a Gun is an Idiot

18K views 169 replies 65 participants last post by  since9 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Anyone who Panics at the Sight of a Gun is an Idiot

Or was or had a family member who was a victim of violence involving a firearm. Then it may be more they are suffering from the anxiety of a gun close to them, ptsd if they were personally involved in an incident involving a gun [ like they were robbed, pistol whipped, experienced home invaders, etc ], had a relative commit suicide with a gun or developed a phobia for any number of negative experiences with a gun.

Disclose/determine why they are panicking, there may be more reason/s than just being an idiot.

#15 ·
When I was a small child, I was bit in the face by a black dog. I was afraid of black dogs for a long time, till I have enough good experiences to show me black dogs weren’t evil.
Wait until you run into a high-capacity black assault dog!

#12 ·
I get
I wouldn't call it a panic, but sometimes I do get overly excited, even breathless, at the sight of a gun. OK, OK, maybe it's panic until I can justify buying it or while I am sneaking it into the house

View attachment 300536
I get overly excited,even breathless at the sight of Katlin

Reactions: gatorbait51
#13 ·
Last week I directly showed my fiancée one of my pistols. This is the first firearm she has ever seen in person. Although we talked about it previously and she was willing to see it, she did panic a bit. I was prepared for this and was ready to address it when she began to get nervous. She is willing to eventually in the future learn the basics of how to use a pistol but I figured there would be an initial issue with her viewing the weapon for the first time. She very slowly got comfortable holding it and she even dry fired it once. I think sometimes firearms enthusiasts can overlook those who don't immediately identify with our interest and comfort level with firearms so its important for us to occasionally reflect on that.

#22 ·
I panicked at the sight of a gun at LGS yesterday. The owner brought out an unfired Springfield Armory M1A loaded with national match stainless barrel and trigger to put it on the rack for consignment. I panicked and bought it before it made it to the rack.

#24 ·
I am not responsible for the fears of others nor are the fears of others valid restrictions on exercising rights.

I don't recall seeing "shall not be infringed except when people get scared."

Using terrorist laws to stop open carry because seeing a gun scares some people reminds me of:

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/319903-did-you-really-think-we-want-those-laws-observed-said

Ayn Rand
“Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.”
Bold added by me for emphasis.....

#30 ·
I see a very disturbing societal trend where the ability to exercise a right is either allowed or not allowed becomes dependent upon whether someone gets scared or panics. Not only allowed or not allowed but can also be punished just because someone got scared or panicked.

#48 ·
I'm trying to replace my perception of reasonably well educated idiots vs very well educated idiots vs unreasonably educated idiots with, "the state of modern artistic development."

How am I doing?

Reactions: OldVet
#49 ·
I'll admit I have been called an Idiot, but I have never been afraid of guns. My wife is afraid of guns and she is no where close to being an idiot. She keeps a 38 in her night stand and she like the fact I carry were ever we go. If someone is scared try and show them that you can handle a gun safely but be gentle.

#51 ·
I just tapped into this thread. My only comment is that panic is a sudden uncontrollable fear caused by not unthinking behavioral anxiety. So panic is not idiotic. I is psychosomatic and treatable. Idiocy (extreme stupidity) is not treatable. Anyone can panic but many never panic. Panic, as a fear response, results from the lack of ability to control fear. My son was once asked to tell what he thought my most significant personal trait was. He said I did not fear. He gave this theoretical example. If a lion crashed into our house everyone would run, hide, etc except for dad. He would look around for something to hold off, drive oof, or kill the lion. He said that at 15. Good kid got it right.

#52 ·
Ignoramus is also a nice word.

I use "idiot" also, frequently as a generic disparaging term.

If I am going to be judged on the semantical accuracy of my language, I tend to tighten it up and use fewer words that can be misconstrued, misinterpreted, or misunderstood.

• For instances, if I was discussing a certain group of extreme anti-gun Legislators amongst friends, I might call them "idiots."
  • If I was discussing anti-gun positions in front of said Legislators, I might say that a complete understanding of the subject should be a prerequisite to enacting legislation to avoid errors made in mere ignorance.

Regardless, it certainly is not worth a dust up here, as I am enjoying a cup of marvelous coffee on a lovely bright morning.

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.