Defensive Carry banner

161 - 170 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
34,523 Posts
It wasn't about idiots?

One cannot expect much else from those who panic. One look at the grocery shelve today will confirm that. It makes people irrational. Why would someone who panics at the mere sight of a gun be any different. It's all "The sky is falling!" to them.

·
Premium Member
33,869 Posts
There aren"t even enough resurrected members to have a good game of poker here, so don't count on a miracle if ya'll get any smart ideas. :rofl:

By the way, since we all forgot, isn't this thread about semantics? Pedantry perhaps? Or cars, girls, and guns? :blink:
I might challenge G-Man to a game of Crazy Eights at some point...

I'm not pedantic, just arrogant. Here, let me explain the--oh, wait. Nevermind.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It wasn't about idiots?

One cannot expect much else from those who panic. One look at the grocery shelve today will confirm that. It makes people irrational. Why would someone who panics at the mere sight of a gun be any different. It's all "The sky is falling!" to them.
Not everyone grew up around guns, owns one, are around them on even a semi regular basis, or knows anything about them. With all the media coverage in the news of mass shootings, negligent discarchages, and shootings in general, I can't say I blame some of them for being on edge when looking at it from their point of view instead of ours... As someone who has friends and family on both sides, I can understand and respect why they feel how they feel even though I disagree with it.

Plus, as far as the current panic is concerned, there are a bunch of gun owners on other forums who are also the 'sky is falling' types when it comes to this overblown virus. They too are clearing off selves and buying guns and ammo...

·
Registered
Various
15,762 Posts
Not everyone grew up around guns, owns one, are around them on even a semi regular basis, or knows anything about them. With all the media coverage in the news of mass shootings, negligent discarchages, and shootings in general, I can't say I blame some of them for being on edge when looking at it from their point of view instead of ours... As someone who has friends and family on both sides, I can understand and respect why they feel how they feel even though I disagree with it.

Plus, as far as the current panic is concerned, there are a bunch of gun owners on other forums who are also the 'sky is falling' types when it comes to this overblown virus. They too are clearing off selves and buying guns and ammo...

I grew up around guns and have owned them since 1962. I am 73 and probably have enough ammo to last the rest of my life. We have stocked food and water in case of a natural disaster like an overdue 9.0 earthquake. We have a sprinkler in the back yard if we run out of toilet paper. Life is as usual here.

Reactions: APX-9M

·
Registered
321 Posts
I grew up around guns and have owned them since 1962. I am 73 and probably have enough ammo to last the rest of my life. We have stocked food and water in case of a natural disaster like an overdue 9.0 earthquake. We have a sprinkler in the back yard if we run out of toilet paper. Life is as usual here.
I don't have enough ammo to last the rest of my life, my tap water works just fine if I can't find any on the self, and I think I'll survive without toilet paper... I'm not worrird. There are a lot of weak minded and easily influenced people out there gun owners included... The media only has to mention that certain items are being brought up and it will cause a bunch of idiots to run to the store and clear out shelve whether it makes any logical sense to or not. Gun owners did it after Sandyhook with 22 and other ammo when it was " assault" weapons and not ammo that was on the chopping block. Now it's toilet paper, guns, and ammo... The IQ level of 90% of the population can be counted on one hand. It's also scarry how much control Americans are willing to give the government when a crisis, real or manufactured, arises.

I'm not as old as you, but I'm old enough to have seen this happen several times before. I'm more irritated at the fact that the country is going into recession, to the Democrats delight, everything being closed down, and all the money I'm losing than I'm worried about the CoronaCold that only has a 1% death rate which compared to the flu and everything that kills people, is nothing.... The Corona virus is the "assault weapons" of viruses... The common cold and flu kills and infects over 100x the number of people a year, yet people are worried about the virus that you have a better chance of being struck by lighting or winning the lotto than dying from ...

I find it odd that this comes from China right before a President election especially when Democrats have been publicly hoping for a recession and a tanked economy in order to help them win. Which is why the Liberal media is blowing this out of proportion..

/Rant

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
..." the CoronaCold that only has a 1% death rate which compared to the flu and everything that kills people, is nothing"

Please don't attempt to get into statistical analysis of death rates concerning Covid-19 virus vs the flu. Other than that, carry on. :smile:

"The COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, people do not have immunity to it, and a vaccine may be many months away. Doctors and scientists are working on estimating the mortality rate of COVID-19, but at present, it is thought to be higher than that of most strains of the flu." ~~ Johns Hopkins Medicine

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
It's called Hoplophobia, which is the unnatural fear of any inanimate object, in this case firearms.
I'm aware. I've been trying to keep the Wikipedians from deleting my edits on hoplophobia for decades. They continue to inside it isn't "real," despite having been recognized in a number of scientific papers on psychological topics written by PhD Psych people.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
All you can do is inform people and hope they see and acknowledge the truth. It's interesting how much some people resist acknowledging the truth at times. Whether it be about hoplophobia, or other easily verifiable topics. I've come to believe that some people are afraid of the truth because it will force them to change their world view.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I don't agree that people who are fearful at the sight of a gun are "idiots". That's too broad of a brush to be painting everyone with. There have been some "legal" gun owners that went off the rails mentally and now, we have a few mass shootings as a result. So, some of their fears are warranted.

Once in a restaurant (before the virus) I told my wife the main reason for why I carry. I mentioned to her: "See honey! I know what is in your heart and I know what is in my heart, but look at all of these other strangers in here. I don't know these folks from Adam! I don't trust any of them as far as I could throw them! So, I carry, just in case one or more of them in here decides that today, right here and right now, is the day that the evil that has been lurking within them will be unleashed on the innocent."

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
I don't agree that people who are fearful at the sight of a gun are "idiots". That's too broad of a brush to be painting everyone with. There have been some "legal" gun owners that went off the rails mentally and now, we have a few mass shootings as a result. So, some of their fears are warranted.
Most mass shootings use legal firearms. So, yes, some of their fears are warranted.

However, since mass shootings comprise roughly 1 in 2,000 firearms deaths, 0.05%, it's barely, if not microscopically warranted.

Once in a restaurant (before the virus) I told my wife the main reason for why I carry. I mentioned to her: "See honey! I know what is in your heart and I know what is in my heart, but look at all of these other strangers in here. I don't know these folks from Adam! I don't trust any of them as far as I could throw them! So, I carry, just in case one or more of them in here decides that today, right here and right now, is the day that the evil that has been lurking within them will be unleashed on the innocent."
Lol! And how well did your lengthy justification work?

I was fortunate. My ex grew up around firearms. Her father and older brothers all hunted and had loaded guns in the house for protection.

Even so, she had a bit of trepidation about my keeping loaded firearms in the house.

So, I took her shooting. Turns out, she'd never been shooting!

After a couple of trips to the range, she was fine with having firearms in the house.

161 - 170 of 170 Posts