Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made this incognito carrying case for my Rem 870 AOW. Ordered an old violin case off of Ebay for 5 bucks. Ripped all the guts out and made a new form inside with craft styrofoam, black corduroy, and craft glue. Used a bicycle seat post to punch out extra shell holes in the styrofoam. Always gets a lot of smiles when I take it to the range and open it up.

violin.jpg

violin2.jpg

·
Registered
632 Posts
AWESOME!
reminds me of that movie, man, whats it called? one of the guys guitar cases is a rocket launcher, one guy is duel weilding machine gun guitar cases... oh its going to bug me for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
That's really cool!
I too looked for a violin case, but found they are measured by quarters, not inches.
Such as: "Case for 4/4 violin."
What size did you buy? How long is it?
I wanted it for a AR.

DUH, I just noticed that your 870 is a AOW, probably way short of an AR.
Maybe a viola case for me.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Very cool. You might do well in Chicago with a rig like that.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Find an old (cheap) yard sale fiddle and carve it away until all you have left is the top .25". Then, using a false bottom, configure it to fit OVER your short shotgun. That way, upon opening the case, it STILL appears to be a violin in there. And you have to flip THAT up to expose your Remington. BTW, I use a covert full-size guitar case to carry my 18" 870. There's a big "FENDER" logo stenciled across the outside. Never gets a second glance. :image035:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's really cool!
I too looked for a violin case, but found they are measured by quarters, not inches.
Such as: "Case for 4/4 violin."
What size did you buy? How long is it?
I wanted it for a AR.

DUH, I just noticed that your 870 is a AOW, probably way short of an AR.
Maybe a viola case for me.
You might have to go guitar case. I had one guy tell me he carried his AR in an electric guitar case so his scumbag neighbors wouldn't know what it was. To me an electric guitar probably attracts almost as much sticky-finger attention as a gun though. Still easier to tote around in public. I used to carry the AOW in a nylon pool cue bag. That was pretty inconspicuous too but not as sinister looking.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
You need some action-movie one-liners to go with it.

How about this: "Do you hear that? It's me playing the world's smallest SHOTGUN!"

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
You might have to go guitar case. I had one guy tell me he carried his AR in an electric guitar case so his scumbag neighbors wouldn't know what it was. To me an electric guitar probably attracts almost as much sticky-finger attention as a gun though. Still easier to tote around in public. I used to carry the AOW in a nylon pool cue bag. That was pretty inconspicuous too but not as sinister looking.
That's what I do now. Soft gig bags.
Although my neighbors don't bat an eye, I don't advertise in case strangers are around.
I just think the violin case is way cool!
Auto Ordinance makes a violin case, but it's too expensive and yours has the "experienced" look.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I've seen tennis racket bags used for the same purpose. Nice work!

Reactions: jaybee

·
Registered
88 Posts
Very nice. What makes this an AOW? Im not at all familliar with the AOW laws. The barrel looks short but with the pistol grip isnt it legal?

AWESOME!
reminds me of that movie, man, whats it called? one of the guys guitar cases is a rocket launcher, one guy is duel weilding machine gun guitar cases... oh its going to bug me for the rest of the day.
The triology in order is, El Mariachi, Desperado and Once Upon a Time in Mexico

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The barrel is about 11 5/8" Any shotgun with a barrel less than 18" is not legal unless you have the tax stamp for AOW or SBS. The fact that it is AOW instead of SBS means I can never put a regular stock on it. AOW's are cheaper to transfer ownership of than SBS's, of which you can change back and forth from pistol grip to full stock. At least in Indiana that's pretty much how it works.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
You rock, love it! :smile:

Reactions: jaybee

·
Registered
680 Posts
I think I have an old shabby looking guitar case if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Does a Stratocaster fit in it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
The barrel is about 11 5/8" Any shotgun with a barrel less than 18" is not legal unless you have the tax stamp for AOW or SBS. The fact that it is AOW instead of SBS means I can never put a regular stock on it. AOW's are cheaper to transfer ownership of than SBS's, of which you can change back and forth from pistol grip to full stock. At least in Indiana that's pretty much how it works.
Thanks for the (interesting) info. So basically, no tax stamp or special requirements for a SBR without a stock but a shotgun has restrictions? Does logic exist anywhere in our government?

Edit to add: Im not saying that any restrictions should exist t begin with. Just pointing out the lack of any thought in these stupid laws.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SBR without a stock is technically a handgun, ala the new Rossi Ranch Hand. The smooth-bore changes things and is not considered a handgun.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts