Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got this in an email thought it was a pretty interesting story. don't know how true it is though... anyways i'm wondering could you actually do this??

HOW TO CALL THE POLICE WHEN YOU'RE OLD AND DON'T MOVE FAST ANYMORE.

George Phillips , an elderly man, from Meridian, Mississippi, was going up to bed, when his wife told him that he'd left the light on in the garden shed, which she could see from the bedroom window.

George opened the back door to go turn off the light, but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.

He phoned the police, who asked "Is someone in your house?"
He said "No," but some people are breaking into my garden shed and stealing from me.
Then the police dispatcher said "All patrols are busy. You should lock your doors and an officer will be along when one is available.."
George said, "Okay."
He hung up the phone and counted to 30. Then he phoned the police again.

"Hello, I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people stealing things from my shed. Well you, you don't have to worry about them now because I just shot them." and he hung up.

Within five minutes, six Police Cars, a SWAT Team, a Helicopter, two Fire Trucks, a Paramedic, and an Ambulance showed up at the Phillips' residence, and caught the burglars red-handed. One of the Policemen said to George, "I thought you said that you'd shot them!"
George said, "I thought you said there was nobody available.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
:rofl: :hand10:

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
I believe that this 'repost' is not really a true story, however, I do believe it would work...not that I would try it I'm just sayin'...:rofl:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Never lie, It's just wrong AND will get you in big trouble with The Man. Remember, they can lie to you but not the other way around. Maybe...I will shoot...:buttkick:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Could you actually shoot though? Depeding in which state you live in, not sure about Mississippi, don't they have to be IN your house? I'm from Maine and still trying to find some black-and-white laws about this stuff.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Could you actually shoot though? Depeding in which state you live in, not sure about Mississippi, don't they have to be IN your house? I'm from Maine and still trying to find some black-and-white laws about this stuff.
In TX, you have the right to defend your property. Doesn't say house. Correct me if I'm wrong though...

·
Registered
73 Posts
As I understand it, Texas has some pretty lenient laws about defending your property, especially "in the nighttime." IANAL

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
What ever you do will be viewed by subjective reasoning and there will be consequences! You might get off from the legal aspects but the civil consequences can be worse! If you use your weapon, make sure it's worth it, like savig a life rather than some property! Don't make a statement to the police and have a lawyer in mind, no matter how justified or "righteous" the act of defending yourself or your property may be.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
In Texas it is legal to defend your property with lethal force:

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury

In Texas it is even legal to defend 3rd person property with lethal force:

Sec. 9.43. PROTECTION OF THIRD PERSON'S PROPERTY. A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property of a third person if, under the circumstances as he reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.41 or 9.42 in using force or deadly force to protect his own land or property and:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the unlawful interference constitutes attempted or consummated theft of or criminal mischief to the tangible, movable property; or

(2) the actor reasonably believes that:

(A) the third person has requested his protection of the land or property;

(B) he has a legal duty to protect the third person's land or property; or

(C) the third person whose land or property he uses force or deadly force to protect is the actor's spouse, parent, or child, resides with the actor, or is under the actor's care.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I forgot to add:

Sec. 83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY. A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant's use of force or deadly force, as applicable.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Now of course the circumstances can be up to the interpetation of a jury if a prosecutor decided that you acted out of scope of what is legal and in that case you could be in trouble. Overall tho Texas is a really bad environment for lawbreakers (except if you are an illegal alien, then you can do whatever you want)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I Think the post was ( DON'T MESS WITH YOUR SENIORS ) ; )

·
Registered
187 Posts
i got this in an email thought it was a pretty interesting story. don't know how true it is though... anyways i'm wondering could you actually do this??

"Hello, I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people stealing things from my shed. Well you, you don't have to worry about them now because I just shot them." and he hung up.

Within five minutes, six Police Cars, a SWAT Team, a Helicopter, two Fire Trucks, a Paramedic, and an Ambulance showed up at the Phillips' residence, and caught the burglars red-handed. One of the Policemen said to George, "I thought you said that you'd shot them!"
George said, "I thought you said there was nobody available.
I had an experiance a couple of years ago with calling the Police, whilst working in a school in south london.
We were just going to leave for the day, I was walking up to let the caretaker know we were off site when I heard " watch out his got a ******* gun!"

As someone who shoots, I carefully looked around a pillar to see a kid with an air rifle, little bugger saw me and let one go at me:twak:
I was not amused!!
I asked the caretaker if he was going to call the Police, he declined as he said that would not show!!! (this is the UK guys)
As politly as I could, I asked would he mind if I called?
Be my guest!
I dialled 999 (your 911) and as soon as I had a police operator, said "firearms incident"
The operator took my details, 2 minutes later SO19 (remember the police are not armed here) called me back asking specific details.
I should point out that SO19 are the armed response team in and around London.
10 minutes later 2 teams turned up at the school, didn't find the little sod, but my kudos went up 100% with the Caretaker....... He could not believe how quickly the plod turned up:danceban:

Tint Bob (UK)

·
Registered
342 Posts
I once asked an office in Missouri "What if a guy is on my front poarch can I shoot him"

He said "you might get in trouble, but if it was me I would just shoot him and drag him in..."

so....I dont really know in MO if I could walk outside and shoot a guy for stealing...

Ill ask my Bro tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I once asked an office in Missouri "What if a guy is on my front poarch can I shoot him"

He said "you might get in trouble, but if it was me I would just shoot him and drag him in..."

so....I dont really know in MO if I could walk outside and shoot a guy for stealing...

Ill ask my Bro tomorrow.
Then you have to explain the blood trail on the porch into the house, tampering with a crime scene, why your story does not match the evidence...

Unless you live in some back water town with one Sheriff who is one of the "Good Ol' Boys"...

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Some kids were doing donoughts in the parking lot below my house one night. My dad called the cops and got a little run around. They asked how far away they were. My dad told them it looked to be about 100 yrd through the scope on his rifle. Dad said several cops showed up to bust up the kids in very short order.

Guns seem to really get their attention.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I love that JOKE. And I assure you that it is NOT true and don't read it as such people....funny stuff.

BTW- If you shoot 'em on the porch, DON'T mess with the crime scene...just be sure the BG can tell no tale...BEFORE he hits the ground, then bleach yourself completely and pull all the weeds out of you garder.:comeandgetsome: Joking people...go ahead and flame away though as 90% of you have already stoped reading ...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts