Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be moving into an apartment soon and want a revolver to back up my shotgun (with buckshot of course). Thinking 3" in .357 so I can load .38 and .357. Any other caliber recommendations? Barrel Length? I like autos but this way I can leave it loaded and not think about mag spring problems. I know they're not common but I don't want to be the odd guy out. Thanks for any help provided.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Hey, I was born in Oshkosh and most recently moved up here from Green Bay. Nice to see WI users on here.

Anyways, springs wear from compression AND relaxation. Leaving a spring compressed doesn't lessen the strength or reliability in any way, shape or form. Not worth worrying over.

I like the .357 Magnum. I'd go 4" or less. Ruger GP100 for a service size revolver. I had a 6" and loved it.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I've got a S&W 640 and like it a lot. Also, Corbon has some good ammo in .38 that'll meet your needs! :hand10:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Don't over look the S&W625 in 45 ACP. Moon clips to help with those fast reloads if needed.
Mike

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I'd go with a four-inch barreled revolver, just because it's as handy as a three-inch barreled revolver with the added advantages of having a longer sight plane (translating to more accurate sight picture and, hopefully, more accurate fire) and better terminal ballistics due to increased bullet velocity.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Taurus has good bang for buck wheelies. Never really heard many complaints from those that have them.

·
Registered
722 Posts
i was born and raised near Fond du Lac.....kinda kewl. living in an apartment i would suggest either smith or taurus. heard lots of good things about taurus revolvers. also might want to get prefragmented ammo. something you might have a little less to worry about with tnt. i know not as good as hollow point but better than worrying about shooting your neighbor dead with a stray bullet!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Apartment living...

A nice older S&W "J" frame will do nicely; I have one here (My wife claims it (My 3" Mod. 36, as her's now; that s fine...) Anyway my friend; I suggest (2) rounds of "Snake-Shot" followed by 3 lightly loaded frangible, or Hi expansion HP's...
You do NOT want to shoot @and "Hit or miss"/ over penetrate the "Bad Guy" or not, and end up killing or maiming your neighbors kid, or something horrible along those lines..!
Apartment living means a different defensive lifestyle than living in that "Brick Rancher", or out in the "Boondocks..!"
I peronally know how most apartment buildings are constructed, and bet that you could just about (if not litterally!!) take a "Straight Shot" w/ a high velocity Ball round or similar; or maybe a good "Hot" +P .38 & shoot end to end, all the way through an apartment building... Just be careful! Just my .02 cents worth... :image035:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I would recommend a Taurus Model 65 in .357

These are good solid revolvers , basically a quality copy of
the smith and wesson guns.

You should be able to find a NIB blue 4" for about $300

I have a Taurus revolver and am very happy with the quality
and finish. :smilez:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Any

Short barreled revolver.

The reason, it is much more difficult for you opponent to grab a short barreled gun than a 4 or 6 in barreled revolver.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
If you can find one, I'm still trying, the Taurus Model: 44 TEN 410GA/.45LC 5RDS D/A-S/A REVOLVER IN BLUE with 2.5" barrel.

Initial shipments sold quickly and the dealers I've checked with have not received more. I keep checking. I want to buy one for my living room gun. Live in an 85 yr. old Craftsman style bungalow. Front door opens directly into the living room. Driveway runs beside house to carport and there is a side porch with a door that opens directly into dining room. This is the most used guest entrance. After testing an becoming familiar with 44 TEN, I intend to buy a second one for this room. Rest of the house has other methods available.

I expect 3 rounds of 410 ga. 000 (contains 3 .32 projectiles each) and two .45LC will deter any agression long enough for one of us to reach additional fire power.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I'm an apartment dweller also...I keep my Ruger SP101 loaded and ready :hand10:

·
Registered
11,431 Posts
Ruger makes a good 4 inch 357 I have a gp100 and am well satisfied with it. I also have an older SW Model 19 with a 4 inch barrel. Both of these weapons have performed flawlessly over the years.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
no worries with the mag springs.....
as stated, constant tension does not a spring wear out, young jedi....
besides they're cheap and easy to replace....
I vote GLOCK 32 in .357 sig with a .40 bbl for less expensive range use....
for revo's, I recommend the S&W 627 or perf center 327...

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
As a fellow apartment dweller, it's hard to beat a 4" wheelie with quality .38spl. loads. .357mag will probably land you in court for reckless endangerment or similar charge when the neighbors see the holes through their apartments.

I've always kept a wheelie handy with either .38spl or even .44spl in my old Anaconda. Charter Arms has a new .44spl Bulldog in J-frame size that looks interesting but .44spl loads are a good bit harder to find locally and somewhat more expensive than .38spl.

Currently, I keep my S&W 642 loaded for my wife and my .45 Mil-spec sleeps beside the bed when not on my hip. I have full confidence that either will, at the very least, allow us time to get to one of two loaded Mossbergs.
Jack

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
How about this

44Sp loads are tame in it

plus you can always use the old Dirty Harrys Lines..

Do you feel lucky punk

This is 44 magnum most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head Clean off

·
Super Moderator
24,281 Posts
45ACP:

No help on the revolver, but think you might want to eveluate the use of buckshot in your shotgun. IMO Buckshot could seriously over penetrate in any apartment I've been in. Maybe some of the bigger loads as an alternative? Just my .02

1 - 20 of 37 Posts