Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have any experience with appendix carry? I am thinking about trying it and I was wondering what holsters you think I should look into. I've tried practicing with just a small paddle holster and it seems very comfortable. If you can please explain your experience and recommend any holsters that you use or have used.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
This question arises often. Many of us carry AIWB and have for some time. Mine is a fine and reasonably priced Appalachian Concealment Katana. Great for my Glock 27. Carrying AIWB on my not very big frame (5'10", 165#) easy to conceal under tee shirt or golf shirt yet still very fast presentation without much signaling. Especially good from seat belted position in my truck, comfortable and out of my way but very easy to draw.

Not sure if it would work as well with my G19 but probably would. Another thread about holsters for AIWB here http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...tions/326002-aiwb-holster-recommendation.html

Reactions: matthew03

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I carry AIWB only. I use the bravo concealment DOS holster, and carry a CZ PO7. The paddle holster was not designed for AIWB. Once you get the right belt and holster, It will become comfortable...

https://www.bravoconcealment.com/

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Does anyone here have any experience with appendix carry? I am thinking about trying it and I was wondering what holsters you think I should look into. I've tried practicing with just a small paddle holster and it seems very comfortable. If you can please explain your experience and recommend any holsters that you use or have used.
What gun do you plan on using?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I do. It's the most conceivable method of carry and the most uncomfortable alike IMHO. It's comfortable if your standing all day, but that quickly changes if you have to sit or bend over. I usually slide the holster over to my 3 or 6 oclock when I'm driving.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking at the LightTuck by Vedder Holsters. I was also looking at the new DOS Torsion holster by Bravo Concealment. I'm leaning for toward the Vedder just because its a smaller holster. I am a minimalist guy so I want to have a smaller holster than will be able to help conceal an XDs 9mm

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
The Vedder Light Tuck is a terrific holster. It is adjustable for cant (angle), ride height and tension/hold on the gun. And if you don't have an extra long shirt or extra heavy fabric it is tuckable. I really love mine and have never met anyone who has one who does not feel the same way.

I also recently ordered a Concealment Express instant ship IWB holster and like it almost but not quite as much as the Vedder Light Tuck. It does cost a lot less though, so if you have limited funds you might want to look at that brand also. They are not adjustable for ride height, but are slightly adjustable for cant and are adjustable for tension.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It takes getting used to... Depending also on the size of the firearm you're attempting to cramp in your waist... Keep in mind when you go to sit you will adjust to avoid discomfort in the groin or jabbing your gut if you have one lol...

This is just wearing a regular work undershirt and it conceals extremely well...

Agis appendix concealed
by Jon L, on Flickr

Agis appendix concealed
by Jon L, on Flickr

·
Registered
270 Posts
I carry my Glock 23 AIWB that disappears almost completely and it is very comfortable standing or sitting. Bending down to get to the ground is another story. When I go to sit down I pull the pistol grip OUT away from my body, then give it a slight pull UP. This makes the pistol rest against your stomach and makes sitting comfortable. I also carry a Glock 43 AIWB, this gun disappears completely, no one will ever know it's there unless they touch it.

Unfortunately for me, the g43 is LESS comfortable than the g23 while sitting. Yes, you read that correctly, 23 is more comfortable than the 43. Due to the shorter barrel length, the 43 rides higher in the crotch area and it digs into it, whereas the 23 just rides on top of the area and does not dig in. I'm sure others have opposite experiences with this, but this is how I am.

Both of my AIWB holsters are the Stealth WITH the concealment claw, from HolsterCo LLC ...he makes high quality kydex holsters and has absolute minimal excess Kydex on it so it's almost like carrying Mexican style with no holster.

P.S. It took almost 2 weeks for my body to adjust to having a gun there and to not feel some discomfort. It was almost like building a callous, and now I feel weird when I'm not strapped. So do not give up on AIWB just because it might not be comfortable the second you try it.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Reactions: BackcountryGuy

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Yes, I carry my Colt Cobra appendix carry in a Pistolwear PT-2. The holster had been modified with a sewn outline so the gun stays at a particular cant. It's quite comfortable and well concealed there.

Reactions: Petroleum 1

·
Registered
622 Posts
On occasion. I use a Remora for a G19.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Remora, N82, modified Clinger Atom mostly. But more of a SIWB guy. (Spleen) crossdraw that is.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I carry my Shield 45 between 10:00 and 11:00 since I'm left handed. I use a Vedder or a Crossbreed AIWB holster depending on if I anticipate having to remove my gun at some point in the day. The Crossbreed is more comfortable. The Vedder is easier taking on and off.

Appendix carry works with smaller pistols like the Shield since the barrel doesn't stick into my leg when I'm bending or sitting down. When I carry a larger pistol I shift over more to the 9:00 position.

The advantage of appendix carry for me is the pistol isn't in contact with my hip bone. As I age, that becomes more of an issue.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I appendix carry 95% of the time. What you will eventually learn is you can easily conceal a much larger gun than your XDS. My progression has been SIG P238->Glock 43->Glock 26->1911 Commander. I now rotate between two similar sized guns, the Commander and a SIG P229. I just yesterday got a Glock 19 and Tristar C100 I intend to start carrying, possibly replacing the other two. For my body shape, the ~4" barrel seems to be about the limit.

I'm a huge fan of the inexpensive and brilliant Blackhawk ARC. They don't make them for many guns, but they do make one for the XDS.

I have used a Remora for short barreled guns, but for extended carry of a gun with a barrel longer than 3", I personally would not use a sticky holster. They tend to design them very wide at the base so the sticky material can grab, and as a result they press against your leg uncomfortably unless you carry them at 12:00.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I carry AIWB unless at a range that requires OWB.
Currently I'm using a JM Customs AIWB toting an ATI FAT BOY 1911.
I've carried 5in, 4in and 3in barrels. Of course the shorter barrels bring greater comfort.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I was looking at the LightTuck by Vedder Holsters. I was also looking at the new DOS Torsion holster by Bravo Concealment. I'm leaning for toward the Vedder just because its a smaller holster. I am a minimalist guy so I want to have a smaller holster than will be able to help conceal an XDs 9mm
Another vote for Appalachian Concealment. they are made by Matthew03 in here and he does EXCELLENT work. He only does AIWB holsters.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Glock 19 T-Rex Sidecar appendix carry
Glock 43 StealthGearUSA AIWB

I have a Bravo USA OWB for my G-19, but seldom (if ever) use it anymore.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts