Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
34,765 Posts
I tried it once. It looked like the world's worst hernia.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I have a gut myself and I still Appendix carry from time to time. I like it.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
To me that cant is a disaster! I like #2 best, but would prefer no cant. I like the full leather cover of the last pic, but hate the cant.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Final update:
Another year has passed, another year of mostly dedicated appendix carry. I even went all in on some even more expensive holsters (Tier 1 Axis Slim) and used it all fall. Here is the bottom line, I simply can’t do appendix, my gut is stubborn and it makes it hard to carry for more than 3-4 hours. All my previous findings are true, it’s easier to carry big guns, weight doesn’t bother me as much, faster draw, better location for access with both hands, etc.

I just simply got tired of being in pain all the time. So, I sold my AIWB holsters and bought my “unicorn” holster, a Galco King Tuck. I glue some micro suede to the backing and replace the clips with loops and it is comfy all day carry. I can even tie my shoes after putting on my gun!

I am still trying to lose the gut, I’ve been walking/jogging and working out along with a lot of yogurt instead of donuts and pop tarts and unsweetened tea vs coke. But my 40 year old body is not nearly as fast to change as my 20 year old version was. Maybe, just maybe I’ll lose the 30lbs I’m shooting for and maybe I’ll try it again. Until then, I’m comfortably armed and well concealed just behind my hip and that’s just fine with this chubby man!

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I can smile while reading this tread . I'm also husky ? No fat , 5-9 and was 245lb back when your first tried Aiwb but down to 220lb today but I could not more Aiwb today if I was 180lbs thanks to history of building homes . Being bent over half a day for months running different trims in a house always controlled how I could carry .

I have used a Comp-Tac Neutral for 16 years and my wife has one for 20 years before my wife and I replaced our neutrals for new Comp-Tac MTAC rigs still at 3:00 . They allow our different pistol to be carried high above our belts and tight to the body . I have a couple nice OWB holsters too . One from Nelson Holsters and one from Black Hills Leather but they only get used when in the woods a couple times a year before and after the hunting season . I always use the same products used to keep saddles clean and conditioned so they stay looking good and don't smell !!

OH . As you age the hair from your head seems to migrate to your chin and your belly !! HA I had to find a new doctor two years ago doctor and she wanted my shirt off to look for any skin issues , cancer concerns and so forth she laughed and said I looked like a bear ?

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
OH . As you age the hair from your head seems to migrate to your chin and your belly !! HA I had to find a new doctor two years ago doctor and she wanted my shirt off to look for any skin issues , cancer concerns and so forth she laughed and said I looked like a bear ?
I know all too well. I have a perfect “skin yamaka” right at the back of my head. I’m thinking of converting to Judaism just so I can hide my shame with a real yamaka! It would be the perfect size and shape, LOL! Oh how I miss my hair.......

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The saga continues.......So after a week of carrying with the king tuck, I just couldn’t get comfortable with it now that I have gotten used to AIWB. So I decided to lose some weight. Cut out cokes, stopped eating fast food, and walk/jog 2-3 miles every other day or so along with some weights. Blood pressure is down from 140/90 to 125/85, resting pulse rate down from 80 beats per min to 60-65 beats per minute and weight down from 220ish to 200lbs. The gut has shrunk quite a bit, and thus, AIWB is now more comfortable than ever. In my raven concealment vanguard I all but forget it is there. I sold my Tier 1 Axis Slim like an idiot so I am super excited to replace it and use that as my EDC.

AIWB comfort was the catalyst for my weight lose journey, I am pretty pumped and I might actually live longer!

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
I have enjoyed your journey to AIWB, smolck, and your candid posts on the progress which has led you to this point. While I have always carried IWB on my left hip, I have recognized the issue of the gun attempting to de-pants me unless my belt is quite tight. I have been inspired to really give it a go by your story, and by G26Raven, as well as the issue of my doctor telling me to lose 25 pounds or he will put me on insulin. (diabetic) I am more than half-way through the 25 pound loss (16 pounds so far) and I think it's time to try again to make this AIWB thing work. Thanks for all the effort in your stories, both smolck and G26Raven. It's time to make this work.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I have enjoyed your journey to AIWB, smolck, and your candid posts on the progress which has led you to this point. While I have always carried IWB on my left hip, I have recognized the issue of the gun attempting to de-pants me unless my belt is quite tight. I have been inspired to really give it a go by your story, and by G26Raven, as well as the issue of my doctor telling me to lose 25 pounds or he will put me on insulin. (diabetic) I am more than half-way through the 25 pound loss (16 pounds so far) and I think it's time to try again to make this AIWB thing work. Thanks for all the effort in your stories, both smolck and G26Raven. It's time to make this work.
That’s awesome, great for you! Losing weight is terrible and I hate working out, but nothing worthwhile is ever easy. I will say, for me personally, I found the Tier 1 Axis Slim to be the most comfortable of the AIWB holsters I have tried. And I don’t have to cinch my pants super tight which helps. The issue was (not so much now) with my gut as it pushed the bottom of the holster into my pelvis area which after about 2 hours began to hurt. I sold it and gave up before I tried the gel insert hack and I am kicking myself for it. I am having a tough time finding another used Tier 1 Axis Slim for the $85 I paid for the other one.

Keep up the weight loss, walking is a big part of my weight loss, I actually started enjoying it (yikes!). I encourage anyone to try it. More to come. I am down to 198 as of this morning, so as soon as I get the new Tier 1 I will be updating this again with more data.

Carry on and be safe!

Reactions: CG11

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So, another update. I have lost something close to 25-27 pounds and am down to 196lbs (I’m 5’10”). Weight loss has slowed a bit, but my body is changing. Gut is shrinking and my go to CCW belt has to be cinched to the last hole for IWB and for OWB it is too big so that’s good. Running a mile in under 10:30 min (with a 200ft elevation rise, I live in hilly terrain) and can string 2 miles together. BP is still down and resting heart rate is 62.

All that to say that now, appendix carry is so much easier. The barrel of the gun no longer digs into me after a bunch of hours because my gut isn’t their to push the handle away from me (thus pushing the barrel into me). I also do not print near as bad, and don’t have to adjust the gun constantly to find a “comfortable spot”. I even wear my G19 AIWB for jogging sometimes, no issues at all. I have a ways to go, another 15-20lbs is my goal (175-180ish), and I bet by then I can go 12 hour days with AIWB and not any issues at all. I’ll post up some pics soon, but I want to get my new Tier 1 holster first.

Bottom line, losing weight is far better at making AIWB comfy than trying to find that magic holster!

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I haven’t been around in a long time. But I wanted to update this one more time. I now carry 100% appendix, usually in a Raven Vanguard 2 holster. I got down to my target weight (180lbs) around June of 2019 and have kept it off. The difference between appendix now and before the weight loss is staggering. I can carry for any amount of time with no discomfort or issues. I am currently EDC’ing my M&P9c (1.0) and love it. So, for all those “husky” guys like i used to be, losing weight is the best option for making appendix carry comfortable. I think I read or heard someone once say “fat isn’t tactical”. That is true. When I started this journey, I couldn’t even run a mile or do a single pull up and not more than 3 or 4 push ups. Now I can run a mile in 8 min, do a couple pull ups, and 30-40 push ups at one time. Not staggering feats of physical fitness, but lots better than I used to be.

And if you werent scarred by the pic in my first post, here is are some “after” pics. No printing (even with my 17 round full size mag and grip extension) and even lost enough girth to wear my very first “ccw belt” again, and its loose where I currently have it set.

Attachments

Reactions: JD

·
Premium Member
33,908 Posts
Congrats on your health improvement measures. This is the first I have weighed in (see what I did there?) on this four-year-old thread.

When it started, I was slightly north of 220 pounds and at 5'10" and had a very unfavorable opinion of AIWB, mostly because I had too much gut to even consider it. Starting in July of 2018, I changed my diet and gradually started to lose weight. This past November I hit 190 lbs, and no longer had enough padding and real estate on my waistline to facilitate my tried and proven 3:00 IWB carry any more. Fortunately, I had ordered an AIWB holster for my standard Shield earlier and found that it was at long last comfortable. I ordered a Dara for my RMSc-equipped .45 Performance Center Shield and after some serious mods on it, have been carrying it exclusively ever since. I'm working on my own design for my other carry guns but have yet to come up with something I really like.

Reactions: matthew03

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Congrats on the excellent physical improvement. Sure, it can help with AIWB, but just as important it improves many aspects of your health and ability to continue processing oxygen longer.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Congrats on your health improvement measures. This is the first I have weighed in (see what I did there?) on this four-year-old thread.

When it started, I was slightly north of 220 pounds and at 5'10" and had a very unfavorable opinion of AIWB, mostly because I had too much gut to even consider it. Starting in July of 2018, I changed my diet and gradually started to lose weight. This past November I hit 190 lbs, and no longer had enough padding and real estate on my waistline to facilitate my tried and proven 3:00 IWB carry any more. Fortunately, I had ordered an AIWB holster for my standard Shield earlier and found that it was at long last comfortable. I ordered a Dara for my RMSc-equipped .45 Performance Center Shield and after some serious mods on it, have been carrying it exclusively ever since. I'm working on my own design for my other carry guns but have yet to come up with something I really like.
5' 10" , 190 and you're carrying AIWB comfortably? Jeeze, I'm doing something wrong. I'm 6' 0 and 185 (5 lbs extra winter weight from my usual), have tried AIWB all different positions, and it's just flat out uncomfortable sitting, bending, etc. for me. <scratching head>

·
Premium Member
33,908 Posts
5' 10" , 190 and you're carrying AIWB comfortably? Jeeze, I'm doing something wrong. I'm 6' 0 and 185 (5 lbs extra winter weight from my usual), have tried AIWB all different positions, and it's just flat out uncomfortable sitting, bending, etc. for me. <scratching head>
I'm currently 182, but yes, I have it down to very comfortable. It only works for me at the 11:30 position, and I absolutely have to have the foam wedge attached.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I'm currently 182, but yes, I have it down to very comfortable. It only works for me at the 11:30 position, and I absolutely have to have the foam wedge attached.
Congrats. You and I are almost identical height and weight. I find I dont need the wedge with the Vanguard style holster, its just the barrel below the beltline so no real digging. I do wish I could try another Tier 1 Axis Slim. I havent bought one since I achieved my goal, that was something I said I would buy myself as a reward, just haven’t gotten around to it (but BOTH the kids braces are paid off!).

Congrats on the excellent physical improvement. Sure, it can help with AIWB, but just as important it improves many aspects of your health and ability to continue processing oxygen longer.
Thank you. My wife may (or may not) also enjoy the oxygen thing.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
OK, that confirms what I've been suspecting -- that I'm not gonna be able to try AIWB successfully unless I spring for the holsters with foam wedges. I've tried the Vedder LightTuck w/ claw among others and they don't work. Thanks Mike!

·
Premium Member
33,908 Posts
OK, that confirms what I've been suspecting -- that I'm not gonna be able to try AIWB successfully unless I spring for the holsters with foam wedges. I've tried the Vedder LightTuck w/ claw among others and they don't work. Thanks Mike!
I also had to find the sweet spot at 11:30, much like my former sweet spot at 3:00. Both left-handed and right-handed set-ups work at 11:30 and nowhere else. The claw was a no-go for me as well.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
I also had to find the sweet spot at 11:30, much like my former sweet spot at 3:00. Both left-handed and right-handed set-ups work at 11:30 and nowhere else. The claw was a no-go for me as well.
You may have mentioned it before, but what holster are you using, Mike? I have the JM Custom Kydex site bookmarked if that's the one you are using.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts