Defensive Carry banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,908 Posts
You may have mentioned it before, but what holster are you using, Mike? I have the JM Custom Kydex site bookmarked if that's the one you are using.
I have a left-handed JM for my Standard .45 Shields. The only change I made on this one was to remove the claw and use my own belt loops: DSC05278.JPG

DSC05279.JPG

The Dara, for my Performance Center Shield with RMSc red dot, has several modifications, and did not come with the wedge option:

DSC05277.JPG
DSC05275.JPG ,

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Another option in lieu of a foam wedge I have seen is people taping/gluing dr. scholls gel inserts where a wedge would go.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am staring 70 years old in the face and have been carrying appendix since way before this last wave of popularity. I was an LEO in the 70’s when we all carried revolvers. AIWB was the preferred method of off duty carry in those days. See below. You will find that ride height coupled with whether you are “long or short” waisted. Experimentation is the key! I am 6’0 and 250 . Works for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In addition to a similar configuration, I spend a lot of time driving. I am looking for, and workin on, a holster that will carry IWB, but cross draw, and with the gun nearly horizontal (maybe with the muzzle 15 degrees below horizontal). I have tried a couple of "driving holsters" but they are too horizontal, and cause the butt of the gun to drop too low (where it shows). I don't care if it prints while I'm seated or driving, but it has to pull in when I'm standing or walking.

Anybody have any experience or efforts with something like that?

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
In addition to a similar configuration, I spend a lot of time driving. I am looking for, and workin on, a holster that will carry IWB, but cross draw, and with the gun nearly horizontal (maybe with the muzzle 15 degrees below horizontal). I have tried a couple of "driving holsters" but they are too horizontal, and cause the butt of the gun to drop too low (where it shows). I don't care if it prints while I'm seated or driving, but it has to pull in when I'm standing or walking.

Anybody have any experience or efforts with something like that?
That is one of the reasons the single loop vanguard holster in my pics is so versatile. When I sit down, it has enough “give” so I can rotate it that same 15 degrees you mention. Then when I stand back up, it goes back to normal. Maybe try some similar single loop/clip type holsters.

Reactions: matthew03

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Well, I finally bought myself the holster that sparked this whole journey to weight loss, overall health improvements and the ability ti carry nearly any gun I choose comfortably and easily. Long story short, when I weighed 220lbs (mostly in my belly) I bought a Tier 1 Axis Slim for my Glock 19. With a large gut that style holster causes the butt of the gun to push away from me (because of the gut) snd the bottom would press into my pelvis and cause horrible irritation and was unbearable after an hour.

I promised myself I’d lose the gut, and as a reward buy myself a Tier 1 Axis Slim again to see the difference. Well, I finally did it. And here are the pics (yes, bathroom mirror pics and a large glob of toothpaste is in them), but I spares you all the hairy white belly this time! (youre welcome).

I’ve had it about a month and wear it often. Even just sitting at my desk in my office for hours on end (work from home) just to prove I can. No real discomfort to report. My family and I walk almost every night, a couple miles over hilly terrain, no issues at all. I forget I have it on. So much easier to carry this holster at 180lbs than 220 (I’m 5’11), no pelvis digging at all. What I really love about this rig is it conceals my G19 almost completely, but I can even get away with a G45 or G17. And its nice to have a spare mag at all times while carrying, something I never did when I carried strong side.

So I guess this post marks me coming full circle from husky and out of shape, unable to carry appendix to slim and in shape and now I can carry the way I wanted. Anyway, I highly recommend Tier 1 gear, its good stuff!

Reactions: graydude

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Fantastic on getting very fit, awesome!
That is not appendix carry... it’s centerline.

Both fall under forward of hip.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
greetings...

we really like that tier 1 xiphos v2 for centerline carry... ciwb...

way to lose the gut...

azj

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Thanks guys. I like the Xyphos too, but like the extra mag carrier of the Slim. May try the newest version of that holster.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts