Defensive Carry banner

Appendix Carry for "husky" guys (first holster tried)

40K views 69 replies 43 participants last post by  plumber802 
#1 ·
Ok, two things I want to say up front: 1. Below is a picture of a very white, and very hairy mid section, if you offend easily, please click away now! And 2. This may be long, but if you are "husky" like me, then you may get something from it. Also, I'd love to hear some tips as well.

So my journey to appendix carry began a few months back as I began to lament my normal 4 oclock carry in the heat of Alabama. It sticks to me, it pulls my undershorts into weird places, and the hotter I get, the more angry I become with the whole thing. I traded the G19 for a G26, but still had the same complaints. So I went back to the 19 and just on a whim one day tucked it in the front of my pants. Hmm......the weight became a LOT less noticeable. I unloaded and walk around the house with a full mag (empty chamber) for a while and it was nice. But obviously, I am not going into the real world with a gun stuffed in my trousers and no trigger guard and no way to hold the gun to me. So I've been researching on and off ever since. And finally, last week I bought a cheap $25 straight drop IWB kydex holster made for AIWB (don't yell at me yet for buying cheap, I have reasons).

So today, while browsing the local store, I noticed they had a bunch of new stuff from Raven Concealment......so I bought the Vanguard 2. I figure, for $34 I can risk it, and in case the "full holster" I ordered doesn't work, I know that just a gun stuffed in my pants was pretty comfy, so this is the closes thing to that I can get. Because I wanted to try driving more than anything, I unboxed in the car, put the gun (my G19) in the holster first, then attached it to my belt. And low and behold, driving was not the torture I thought it would be. That said, it wasn't perfect either. It seems the VG2 has a second hole for adjusting ride height and it was digging in to sensitive parts. But even so, I drove the 45 minutes home very aware I had a gun in my crotch, but not so uncomfy I took it off.

Once home I removed the offending piece with my Spiderco (see pic with my finger for what I removed) and played with the height some more. Here is what I found. Higher ride is more comfortable when sitting, but due to my aforementioned "fluffiness", The gun pushes away from me and prints more than I like. Enough that when I walked downstairs my wife said "what is that?". Dang! So I went upstairs and lowered it some, and voila, it hides pretty well. Or as well as "mr. fluffy" can make it hide. One thing is for sure, if all the walking and changes in my diet start to work, this mode of carry will only get more comfortable and print less (sucking in produces a temporary (albeit slightly painful) "unfluffy" condition for a moment before I need to breathe again :danceban:) which is great because now I have a great reason to stick to the fitness stuff.

So for the last 2 hours or so I have been sitting at my desk working (from home) and it is actually starting to not be noticeable. I have the gun in the 1pm or so spot, and when I sit I slightly push the butt down which pushes the barrel slightly left and it tucks right into my leg joint. Nice!

Here are a couple observations about the VG2 from Raven that I'd like to share, again from a "fluffy" perspective.
1. The price is nice, real nice. And for those who don't want to fully commit for fear of comfort (like me) this is a good way to dip your fat little foot into the pool cheaply.
2. The design is good, offers adjustability, and has a nice loop for solid retention on the belt (no way you end up with the trigger guard still on the gun with this thing)
3. The snap on the belt loop is one of those one way kind, and is a HUGE pain to snap. So much so I leave it snapped, insert my gun, then thread it through my belt. Big FAIL!
4. Because of the above, a lot of live fire from the holster drills will take the better part of eternity to do
5. Reholstering is a challenge and scary. I don't think I will ever reholster with a live round in the gun, not with my Glock.
6. It is light, minimalist, and fairly comfy, even with my HD sights everyone complains about with AIWB carry, I have not had an issue yet.

So, the good news is my other holster (a FULL holster) arrives Thursday. I will update then. Assuming it is even reasonably comfortable, I will probably invest in the G-Code Incog or T-rex or something like that. If I hate it, then I only blew $25 instead of $100.

Below are some pics. I would love tips, tricks, and feedback from other "Fluffy AIWB" guys (and even you skinny folk too!)

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Now I understand your Avatar Poor dog saw you with shirt off .

Hope you can get comfortable with that carry . I can't do it . Standing not bad but sitting no going to work for me.

#4 ·
I 5'8", 265.
I've found a little farther back, 2-2:30, with about 30° cant, is very comfortable for me.
I make my own holsters. Here is an OWB to show how the gun (full-size Beretta PX4 9mm) rides and the corresponding IWB holster.

(it actually sits father forward in use)

Here it is in a Remora holster. The grip tuck into/under the "roll".

Even when I was skinny (pre-marriage) I didn't like carrying behind me (4:00 on). I actually carried cross-draw for many years. Now it is uncomfortable.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#15 · (Edited)
I 5'8", 265.
I've found a little farther back, 2-2:30, with about 30° cant, is very comfortable for me.
I make my own holsters. Here is an OWB to show how the gun (full-size Beretta PX4 9mm) rides and the corresponding IWB holster.

(it actually sits father forward in use)

Here it is in a Remora holster. The grip tuck into/under the "roll".

Even when I was skinny (pre-marriage) I didn't like carrying behind me (4:00 on). I actually carried cross-draw for many years. Now it is uncomfortable.
hmmn.....interesting!!!....you're just an inch & 25 lbs more than me.....how does that setup works on you while driving?

#5 ·
I have 2 AIWB Trigger Guard Holsters , a MIC & Vangard 2.
I don't use the belt loop on my VG 2 but use a lanyard on both my hosters.
It took several tries to get the length I was happy with to control how high or low they
ride but now I can wear either with no problems no matter what I am doing.

The lanyard lets them float around a little and keeps things comfortable and pulls the T.G. off as soon as you clear the belt and move the pistol forward.

No problem re-holstering as the T.G. goes back on before going back in pants.
Like you I removed the bottom tail of the V.G. 2 as it kinda poked me a little

#6 ·
I carry at 10:30-11:00 (think 1:00-1:30 if you are right handed). I cannot bring myself to use one of the minimalist holsters such as the vanguard; I prefer a more traditional AIWB holster. I also sold my Glock 19 because I am more comfortable carrying a hammer fired pistol. However, I am in no way saying you are wrong; whatever works for you is what works for you. BTW, no one has ever accused me of being skinny.

Reactions: smolck
#8 ·
I've been thinking about the appendix carry for a while. I can see why having a flat stomach would make it more concealed and comfortable. Wish I could rent a hoster and see if I could live with it, but sitting in a car with a gun digging into me sounds terrible.

#9 ·
Another option for sitting down...rather than pushing the butt of the gun down, grab the grip and pull it up so it sits almost flush with your stomach. Then just use the excess shirt that's in your lap to make "rolls" out of your shirt to help conceal the gun while sitting.

This also helps keep your gun/holster from digging in next to your sensitive parts while sitting. I keep my G23 at roughly the 12:30-1:00 area while driving semi-truck for 10-14 hours a day with no pain whatsoever.

Also wearing a "wife beater" or other forms of an undershirt help tremendously! My entire upper body looks like it belongs to a black bear for how hairy I am so the undershirt keeps the holster/gun grip from ripping out my hair or pinching my fluffiness.

The one way snap buttons become much easier to use after you snap and unsnap them quite a few times. Like you, I almost gave up on it right away but instead I sat down and just worked the snap for an hour. Now its easy to snap it and unsnap it. Good luck and best of wishes on carrying AIWB!

#18 ·
Good questions. It looks like it is digging in, but the slide really isn't, just some fat squishing around the sides and not uncomfortable. When sitting, in just let the gun barrel move toward my left side a bit, and it is fine. I do pull the gun up slightly and it works great. The benefit of this style of holster is it allows me to move the gun enough in any direction to get it "just right".

I've been sitting in a booth at a Jack's restaurant (like a McDonald's for all you non southerners) for almost an hour working on my laptop and all is well. In fact, when I got busy on a call, I completely forgot about it. Still learning, still fidgeting, but this method works ok. The only major issue is bending over while sitting on the floor like when I tried to put my shoes on. I had to get in a chair.

So far, so good. Day two is promising.

#36 ·
I'm a fully vested, card carrying fat-arse. I seldom wear a belt... in fact I spend most of my time in the comfort of Reebok pants that don't even have belt loops. I've carried in just about every type of holster you can imagine over the past 30-40 years, hating some, loving others.

As I type this on a warm summer morning, I've got a P938 in a Remora RFT-SS with an UltiClip at about 1:30, canted back just a little. It's easy to adjust (if needed), comfortable all day long, easy to access and re-holster, stays right where I put it and it actually helps keep the pants up if I put something heavy in my right front pocket.

I have similar Remora configurations for my Sig P250/45, and XD40 Service and a full size 1911. Similar results, although the 1911 is sometimes just a bit too long for AIWB carry.

#19 ·
Husky is indeed a nice way to say fat. I think most of us realize that weight reduction would help. In fact, I mention it at length in my original post. But some folks don't want to or can't lose weight. So working "around it" is worth sharing IMO.

Congrats on your weight loss.

Reactions: BamaT and CPLYank
#20 ·
On the weight issue.
At 13 years old I was 5'8" (like now) and 145 lbs.
I weighed 145 until I was 26 years old.
During those years I ran marathons, road raced motorcycles, and was practiced martial arts.
At 26 I started road racing bicycles and bumped to 155 lbs (thigh muscles).
At 31 years old I got married, had kids, no longer lived for myself. The weight started sticking.
Getting older, testosterone levels decreased. More hours working to pay more bills.
Now 57 years old and a truck driver. I'm on the road 5.5 days each week driving from CA to NE (or KS) and back. I get home I really just want to rest up (that testosterone thing).
I don't like being fat but I'm also tired of busting my butt.
I've earned my rest.
As far as the grip of the gun digging in, the holster has a full sweat shield. Otherwise I wear an undershirt. It's still comfortable wearing all day.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#21 ·
I've been trying appendix with my Advanced Holster GL-1. The price is right, and if I don't like appendix I just move it back to the 4 0'clock position. I have the Utilclip which facilitates easy adjustment. My belly is bigger than I want, and like "patkelly4370" said I'm tired. Health issues(cancer twice, but thankfully it was removable both times) and age cause me to sit more than walk.

Brent at Advanced Holster says more people like the gun to be covered and he recommends the Full Cover. He has another holster option(half/full cover??), but I didn't see it on the website. I'll have to ask him for a picture. I want to get one for my Glock 29.

#22 ·
After I started carrying a few years ago, through trial and error, I became a 3:00, zero cant, OWB man. I didn’t even really try appendix carry because of the usual excuses: my gun is too big; my belly is certainly too big; it can’t be comfortable; you can shoot your “boys” off. As a result, my attire in late spring, summer, and early fall down here in Georgia was almost always a T-shirt with an open covering shirt on top. Even carrying IWB was usually too noticeable under just an untucked polo, T-shirt, or buttoned-up collared shirt at 3:00.

However, a week ago my oldest son got a Galco Stow-N-Go for his Glock 19. He came into the room in jeans and a T-shirt and said, "Well?" To which I replied, "Well what?" And then he says, "Can you see it?" Just as I started to realize what we were talking about, he raised his T-shirt to reveal his gun in the new holster at the 1:00 position. Now, he does not have a gut like me, but he’s not skinny either. I was really impressed with how well the gun was hidden.

So, after gaining further inspiration from reading this thread this afternoon, I started experimenting with my Sig P229 in my Galco Triton holster this evening. I’m really surprised how well it feels, and conceals, in dress pants, with a dress (NOT gun) belt, under a white dress shirt. I may have to get a leather AIWB holster, and give it a real try.

Attachments

#24 ·
Well, all day I carried with the vanguard 2 at the 1 o'clock position. I drove some 50 miles and sat in two meetings and never was uncomfortable, BUT......

An issue arose that could get me killed. I removed my gun when I came home and realized the gun had started coming out of the holster. NO THANKS! My full kydex AIWB gets here Thursday. Maybe that'll work......

I've carried a gun for almost 7 years now, and this is the first time I've been "rattled" a little by carrying. Yikes.

Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Starting pistol

Reactions: Morbidrealities
#25 ·
Well, all day I carried with the vanguard 2 at the 1 o'clock position. I drove some 50 miles and sat in two meetings and never was uncomfortable, BUT......

An issue arose that could get me killed. I removed my gun when I came home and realized the gun had started coming out of the holster. NO THANKS! My full kydex AIWB gets here Thursday. Maybe that'll work......

I've carried a gun for almost 7 years now, and this is the first time I've been "rattled" a little by carrying. Yikes.
Well, that isn't good. Did the holster come loose, or was it pushed loose throughout the day?

#26 ·
first, i can show you hairy.... the zoo has accidentally tranqilized me twice.
As far as AIWB goes, good luck with that. As a middle heavy guy, I just cant do it .

Reactions: matthew03
#28 ·
You know what I hate the most about AIWB? It's the "tactikewl" broskis on YouTube that lament the dangers of appendix carry. They talk about flagging your man bits and femoral artery, but all I hear is them making excuses. It's all psychological, the reasons why they won't, but that's not what they go on and on about is it?

Honestly, I prefer the CC to OC debate over the AIWB debate. You can at least usually find some common ground. The anti-appendix carry Yahoo's though? There is no debate, as it's straight up "No, no, no no!" Whatever tactikewl guy, you just keep rocking your $3,000 gold and purple Glock with crazy optics. I'll just continue to take advice from undercover Air Marshall's, retired Delta and Seal operators, retired undercover Narco officers and my own experience. You do you and I'll do me. /rant

#29 ·
I can't help with the husky part, cause I'm only 5'8" and 160 wet. I have a full stealthgear holster that I use with a nano for appendix and I was plesently surprised on how more comfortable it was than the 4 o'clock position, along with how well it hides. I haven't got it yet but I ordered a AIWB from them for my px4 that I am going to start carrying soon once I get the holster. The only time I notice it is when I'm on my motorcycle driving. I like the 4 o'clock because it was there by my wallet so I can pull that instead of the wallet, but really like the AIWB more and will use that all the time now.

Like I said though I an very skinny so I'm probably not helping

#30 ·
I switch to AIWB for deep concealment, comfort and better access, but have become particular about which action I'll put there. Just don't feel comfortable with "spring-loaded" anything behind a primer in that location, so no half-/fully-cocked strikers or hammers - and I don't care to rely on internal or manual mechanical safeties.

For me, verifiable hammer down and controllable hammers during reholstering are must haves for chambered rounds there, so I guess it's DA/SA semis and revolvers for me.

#31 ·
I use an AIWB holster that I found on Ebay through seller thanksman232. It uses the Raven overclip & claw and he attaches those to his own kydex shell. I have been using this setup a couple months and I must say, it is the most comfortable carry I've ever had, standing, sitting or driving. I can carry my G19 under just about any shirt I own and if I print, it is minimal. Best $35 bucks I ever spent on a holster.

#33 ·
I have a couple of VM2s that I bought for a specific job. You're right, reholstering is a pain, and if you adjust a 19 up enough to get a full grip, it gets pushed out and prints. A 17 or 34 works better with this rig IMO.

For a conventional AIWB holster, I have a couple of JM Custom Kydex AIWBs and a George that work extremely well. I'm completely sold on appendix when I can go untucked.

#34 ·
So it's been over a year since I started this thread and wanted to update. First of all, I am all but 100% of the time carrying in the appendix position. Once I got used to it I find it to be as comfortable as my crossbreed, and in some ways more so. Mainly because with appendix carry the weight of my gun (Glock 23/19) is less noticeable to me and I can wear my belt less tight without the gun pulling my pants down.

I have carried almost exclusively with the Vanguard 2 in post #1, and hey, I'm not dead! I've done a ton of presentations with a loaded gun and never had a boo boo. I don't reholster while wearing it, obviously. I recently got a Phlster "classic" and really, really like it. It seems bulky and big when just looking at it, but when worn it hides the gun better than the Vanguard. Maybe not quite as comfy, but not "UN" comfortable.

I tried to go out with the crossbreed on behind the hip and it feels so foreign to me now I came back home and changed to the Phlster.

So after over a year of dedicated "fat man" AIWB carry, here are my pros and cons:
Pro:
1. Concealment of larger weapons easier
2. Weight of gun not really an issue
3. MUCH easier to wear tucked than crossbreed
4. Speed to first shot from concealment (almost one and a half seconds faster)
5. Easier to access pistol while driving, fighting on my back, etc

Cons:
1. STILL have a loaded gun pointed in a bad direction
2. After about 4 hours the barrel/end of the holster start to get annoying on my leg
3. Rear sight of my Trijicon HD is sharp and sometimes cuts my fat
4. Hard to tie my shoes (seriously, gotta out shoes on FIRST)

Hope this helps. I NEVER thought I'd carry appendix, but now, I can't carry any other way (save for my pocket with the bodyguard 380).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.