Defensive Carry banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making a deliberate investment of time to improve my skills at positional rifle shooting...and part of that is practice. Dry practice is important and it does help...but there is no replacement for actually burning powder - both in terms of the physical conditions and in terms of real feedback on performance.

My challenge is that the rifle ranges near me do not permit any position other than seated at the bench at most distances. I understand the reasons (I see them at the 50 and 100 yard lines all the time struggling to safely load their SKS with the cosmoline still on them)...but it's still unfortunate that those of us who are able to consistently shoot well end up being limited in practicing practical skills because of their lack of understanding safety fundamentals.

Long story short, I will be attending an Appleseed shoot in Waco in July. Since I sold all of my rimfires when I most recently moved, I realized that I needed an appropriate rifle.

After a "false start" with a plain jane 10/22 at Academy that I selected and then chose not to buy due to their management's lack of spine, I re-examined my purchase. I decided that an extra $100 dollars was merited to get something that is still a basic rifle, but brought four "extras" to the table:

#1. Already has sling studs. One less thing for me to do.
#2. Takedown. Easier to bring along.
#3. Adjustable LOP. I'm good with the standard comb height and LOP for my intended use....but I do want the flexibility for others using the rifle.
#4. Threaded barrel. I see a few suppressors in my future, and given that I do see that it doesn't make sense to buy a .22 that isn't configured to be a suppressor host in the future.

To that basic rifle, I will be adding a few things.

-A sling for positional shooting. I will start with a plain old green GI type sling....but I have a sneaking suspicion that I will end up taking it off and installing a Rhodesian sling before too long.

-A set of Tech sights.

-A Hornet Products trigger pack. This may be a basic rifle....but in my mind there's no excuse under the sun for the nine pound box of sandpaper and gravel that Ruger installs in 10/22's at the factory. This has the advantage of coming with an extended mag release and a bolt catch that doesn't require a third hand.

I should have the rifle in my hands by the end of next week, and hopefully that will mean that I can get the sights on and zero it the following weekend.

More to follow.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Good Going! I think everything you are planning is going to help except the rifle being a take down. I have a couple of takedowns myself and have read that most others have the same problem with the POI wandering when using a sling. All but one of mine are scoped with the scope mounted to the receiver. You might try mounting the scope to the barrel and use a long eye relief scope . That way any movement won't change your POI. Good Luck, I think you will enjoy the Appleseed shoot. DR

1 - 2 of 2 Posts