Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out about this from Facebook. Gotta love the internets, as I doubt I would have otherwise!!!

The Appleseed Project

Welcome to the Appleseed Project

What the RWVA (Revolutionary War Veterans Association) is all about:
The Appleseed Program is designed to take you from being a simple rifle owner to being a true rifleman. All throughout American history, the rifleman has been defined as a marksman capable of hitting a man-sized target from 500 yards away — no ifs, ands or buts about it. This 500-yard range is traditionally known as "the rifleman's quarter-mile;" a rifleman can hit just about any target he can see. This skill was particularly evident in the birth of our country, and was the difference in winning the Revolutionary War.
This is pretty cool! I am thinking of how I may be able to take part in this!!!

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Sounds interesting.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
There are a ton of the two-day Appleseed events around, and they are pretty cheap (women and kids actually can go for free). The g/f and I are signed up for one in about a month, and I am really looking forward to it!

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
They are excellent.

I did one last year on July 3rd/4th for the first time and found it to be a blast.

- Janq

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have a couple friends that did one in Payson last fall - winter.. And I have a few more friends that are going to NV to one next month.. From what I hear it is a good time..

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I thought it was gonna have something to do with planting appleseeds so we could eat some apples

·
Registered
721 Posts
Really...? Those 18th century flintlocks were accurate out to 500 yards...?

Wow... I thought 150-200 yards max...

·
Registered
721 Posts
Maybe in Napoleonic warfare... if you got 50 guys throwing lead downrange at another 50 guys lined up in a row, maybe 500 yards is still possible...

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Maybe in Napoleonic warfare... if you got 50 guys throwing lead downrange at another 50 guys lined up in a row, maybe 500 yards is still possible...
Rather like the British longbowmen -- drawing to the ear making right to left aiming rather difficult, but adding distance. Get the range right and you'll get someone along the line.

OTOH they weren't all armed with smoothbore muskets.

The Battle of Saratoga was a turning point in the Revolutionary War. And one of the major turning points in the battle was when sniper Timothy Murphy shot and killed Gen. Simon Fraser of the British army on Oct. 7, 1777.

Murphy, a rifleman in Morgan's Kentucky Riflemen, hit Gen. Fraser at a distance of about 500 yards using one of the famous long-barreled Pennsylvania/Kentucky rifles.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
We(Marine Corps veterans) were taught during boot camp how to hit a man-sized target at 500 yards using open sights in the prone position with the M16/AR15 platform(I went to boot camp in 1998). 500 yard line was my favorite.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I did one last year on July 3rd/4th for the first time and found it to be a blast.
Janq, what guns did you use? The same one both days or did you mix it up? I am thinking of using a .22LR for Saturday and bringing out the AR (assuming I get it in time :irked:) for Sunday...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We(Marine Corps veterans) were taught during boot camp how to hit a man-sized target at 500 yards using open sights in the prone position with the M16/AR15 platform(I went to boot camp in 1998). 500 yard line was my favorite.
Hey I was in the Navy SeaBees and we only got to "qual" once a year and since we weren't assigned our own weapon, we would get w/e M16 they gave us at the time.
Some years you got crap, some years you got gold. My best year was 5 rounds in the same hole at 200 yards, the gunny had to look at the target himself! I guess the Marine Gunny Sgt we had assigned to our battalion was a keeper 'cause he taught me well and I still use what he taught me some twenty years ago! HooRah, Semper FI!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great, I hijacked my own thread!!!:blink:

Back on track now, there is one on my birthday here in Montana, I gotta attend that!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts