Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a situation that has bugged me for a long time. I read posters from other states, I’m in MN, that talk about months and months until they get their carry permits. In MN its 30 days or I can walk into my sheriff’s office and get my permit as it is considered issued at that point. What can possibly be taking so long other than the issuing authority simply dragging their feet? I know for a fact that the average person’s background check in MN with no problems will take no more than a couple days so even 30 days is about 28 too many. After all, we do have computers. What do you guys/gals think?

·
Registered
296 Posts
The college kid typing in the info will get to it as soon as he finishes posting to his ongoing forum argument. Ok, oh wait, he has a text message now, hold on. Darn work days over, he'll get to the apps. first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm right there with ya. I'm on day 139 down here, and there are others that have been waiting longer than me. Supposed to be a 60 day time frame per Texas statute.:aargh4:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'm right there with ya. I'm on day 139 down here, and there are others that have been waiting longer than me. Supposed to be a 60 day time frame per Texas statute.:aargh4:

I got mine after 137 days and a lot of very polite phone calls to the tech processing my application. Harris Co is a killer on BG checks.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Just another form of 'anti-gun' protest...IMHO:yup:

OK, we all know that a background check can be done in about an hour...our school district does it all the time with fingerprints by computer. Now think about how long it takes to get your driver's license...anyone wait months for that? Most walk out of the DMV with a license in hand, and the same could be done with a CCW permit. Again, I refer to my opening statement.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Just another form of 'anti-gun' protest...IMHO:yup:

OK, we all know that a background check can be done in about an hour...our school district does it all the time with fingerprints by computer. Now think about how long it takes to get your driver's license...anyone wait months for that? Most walk out of the DMV with a license in hand, and the same could be done with a CCW permit. Again, I refer to my opening statement.
Agreed. Seems like some states figure less people will consider hetting one if they can make it more difficult or annoying.

PA says 45 days but most counties are 2 weeks or less. Philly being the exception. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
272 Posts
In Virginia we have a good law that if your permit is neither processed nor denied within 45 days, then your application fee receipt becomes a de facto permit for up to 90 days from the 45-day mark.

I got my permit in February in 13 days (Loudoun county, reasonably gun-friendly). My friend in the People's Republic of Fairfax County got his permit on exactly the 45th day, and yes they wait until the last moment quite deliberately.

·
Registered
304 Posts
wow, things sure have started to drag out. When I got mine it took a total of 5 business days from payment to mailbox. 139 days and counting is insane. There has to be something wrong with that.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
PA statute

18 Pa.C.S. sec 6109 Licences

"A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license."

Most of the time it's quicker though :hand10:

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
In Texas if you owe taxes or back child support etc. they will not issue a license,has nothing to do with criminal background check,but you can get a non resident florida permit and carry in texas even if you can't get a resident texas,that there is politics

·
Registered
86 Posts
In colifornia, permits are issued by county, some counties refuse to issue at all. The ones that do, the time from "first interview" to permit received in the mail is 3-4 MONTHS!!:hand1:

·
Banned
226 Posts
Nevada took 8 or 9 days from the day I applied, and UT took maybe 3 months and that was total time from when I first sent it out unitl I got it in the mail..they had to send it back to fix something..both were a year ago..I am currently waiting on FL now..only been a week, lol. I never got FL because FL always exepted NV..until NV dropped them..and since I travel there 3 times a year at least...

·
Registered
179 Posts
I got mine here in Maine last year.

It took me ten minutes. Literally. I drove to the town office, signed my name and paid $35. No application process prior to that.

This year my wife is getting hers. Download the application off of the State Police website, fill it out and give it to the selectmen at the Town Office. They get it back in 2 weeks or less. Sign and pay $35.

The $35 is good for 4 years, then $20 to renew it for another 4 years.

·
Registered
94 Posts
In Dutchess County, New York, it is taking up to 3 months after a $100 fee to schedule an appointment for finger prints. Then after that it is a six month wait.

After that you have to go buy your gun and submit the paper work to the sheriffs office. The gun must then be added to your permit by one of the county judges. At which point in time you have to wait another 3-4 weeks. Any and all handguns have to be added onto your permit in the same fashion. I have just purchased a glock 26 put the paperwork in on the 25th of june and am still waiting. Until then I cannot pick up my new gun.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Anyone here from South Dakota? When I was there, it only took a week for my concealed carry to go through, but that was before Oklahoma and9/11.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Utah is draggin' AS*. I sent my stuff in May 7, still no action. Ouch.
I stand here :redface:, and must apologize to the State of Utah. No sooner had I gotten home, petted the dog, kissed the wife, and other sundry duties, I looked at the pile of mail, and there was a faint glow to the stack! Rifling through the normal junk mail and bills, I laid my eyes on the source of the glow....you guessed it....an envelope from the BCI in Utah. It seemed awfully thin, so I guessed it was a rejection letter :frown:. As I squeezed it, I could tell there was a treasure inside. Like a child at Christmas, I tore open the envelope, upending the parcel, and out dropped the Golden Ticket!:danceban::danceban:! My Concealed Firearm Permit!

My happiness is only tainted by the fact that I still live imprisoned in the Peoples Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, and until the Emperor known as Doyle is deposed, I can only dream of everyday legal CC. The countdown to the November 2010 elections is on!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts