Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I went out to eat tonight at El Paso Mexican Restaurant. As many of you are aware, in Virginia CC is not allowed in places where alcohol is served, but OC is allowed. As I usually do I did the VA tuck and went in. We were seated, drink orders taken (ice tea) and we were talking while deciding on what to order.

When the waiter returned with our drinks, he ask me if I was a LEO, to which I replied I wasn't. He said they noticed my gun and asked me why I carried. I simply told him for protection. His reply was, "Oh, Okay". Nothing more was said by him or anyone else. No sheep ran screaming from the place, no MWAG calls, just business as usual.

BTW, this is not the first time I had OC'ed there, just the first time they noticed it I guess.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
+1 Glad you didn't get hassled!

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Nice! May I assume that you will be giving them more of your future business?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Cool. I've always assumed that I wouldn't carry in restaurants.

I guess if you can just do the VA tuck and go in, maybe I should give it a shot. I just don't want to attract attention.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice! May I assume that you will be giving them more of your future business?:rolleyes:
They'll definitely get more of my business in the future.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. I've always assumed that I wouldn't carry in restaurants.

I guess if you can just do the VA tuck and go in, maybe I should give it a shot. I just don't want to attract attention.
I've done the VA tuck for the 11 years I've lived here in VA. Mostly here in the Richmond area where I live, but also the rest of the state as well, whenever traveling. I've never had any negative encounters while doing it. Either they don't notice/care, or feel I'm too old to cause any trouble! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I usually tell them, "I'm just a regular person-just like you" when they ask me about my openly carried weapon.

Never have gotten the least bit of static or upturned noses.

Dirty

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Sounds like it went well. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Good job educating the sheep... ah, I mean... public! :hand5:

·
Registered
709 Posts
I've done the VA tuck for the 11 years I've lived here in VA. Mostly here in the Richmond area where I live, but also the rest of the state as well, whenever traveling. I've never had any negative encounters while doing it. Either they don't notice/care, or feel I'm too old to cause any trouble! :rolleyes:
I open carry in Virginia restaurants two to three times per week, and it is rare for anyone to say anything. A waitress recently remarked about my gun and asked if I were a cop. I explained that I carry it for my own protection. She left the table saying she was going to be afraid of me, but I explained she should feel safer when I was there. I invited to take her to the range but she didn't seem too keen on that; her loss.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ok now i haven't been clear on this when in VA can you CC in a non-serving restaurant? I visit my dad there and am never sure what to do about restaurant in general. And he is one of those types who has is permit and doesn't use it... so he's no help on knowing what's what.

Thx

·
Registered
825 Posts
Have to ask. Whats the VA tuck??

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
...in VA can you CC in a non-serving restaurant?
If you meant a non-alcohol-serving restaurant: yes, if you have a CC permit recognized by Virginia.

Whats the VA tuck??
Since concealed carry is illegal in a Virginia alcohol-serving venue, the choices are open carry or no carry. The VA tuck refers to choosing open carry by tucking the concealing garment behind the normally-concealed pistol.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Since concealed carry is illegal in a Virginia alcohol-serving venue, the choices are open carry or no carry. The VA tuck refers to choosing open carry by tucking the concealing garment behind the normally-concealed pistol.
:yup:

Do it regularly.

Even with a IWB, as long as your carry can be identified as a firearm you are legal.

Depending on the cover I tuck a cover shirt behind the grip or pull the tuckable shirt up over the grip & slide.

One warning, however -- be sure to uncover before coming through the door and do not recover until after you get outside, especially at affairs like VCDL events, which can draw attention from antis. Also, take care where there is an outside seating/serving area, even in cold weather when not in use. The perimeter of the on-premises area should be marked, if outside the building.

BTW -- off-premises sales vendors are OK for CC.

BTW2 -- the CC restriction only applies to restaurants and clubs not all on-premises situations/venues.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Similar has happened to me. OC is allowed in Minnesota and I've found I prefer it to CC. I have been approached a dozen or so times by people who see my Glock 22 and ask if I'm a LEO. I explain I am not and almost every time a short Q & A ensues. A few times it's as simple as:

Them: 'Are you a cop?'
Me: 'No.'
Them: Continue with their business.

Glad your experience has been as good as mine. FWIW, I have open-carried, without problems, in the following locations:

* Liquor Stores
* Bars
* Grocery Stores
* Malls
* Through the investigations unit of a local Sheriff's Office (nobody even batted an eye!)
* Gas Stations
* While helping a stranded motorist.
* While riding my motorcycle.

The attached image is from a ride to Stillwater, Minnesota with a buddy. You cannot see it here, but I was open-carrying that day. Stillwater is on the Minnesota-Wisconsin border, so we had to stay on the Minnesota side.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts