Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If each of these first time gun owners purchased a mere 200 rounds of ammo (which is seriously lowballing it), 500,000,000 rounds of ammo has been purchased since March of 2020 by them. Add to that number panic purchasing by all other gun owners...

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
Interesting. I never really considered how the first time buyers could impact ammo inventory....

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Good observation. If they bought ammo like most of us here there wouldn't be any more available for some years.

·
Registered
36,074 Posts
I would not think anywhere near a majority of new gun owners bought 200 rounds.

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
BINGO!

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
With "just in time" supply chains being the norm in manufacturing today, a sudden, significant increase in demand is hard to react to with any commodity, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, guns, ammo, etc. If companies thought the demand would stay high in the long haul, they might invest in increased capacity. But the danger is if they do that and they are wrong, then at some point demand will die off and they will be stuck with non-productive capital investments. Right now, they are making record profits with what they have, which is a pretty comfortable place to be.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It sort of surprised me, As the teachers start shambling back to the school building in order to prepare for the upcoming year. I, as a gun nut, have been approached by various teachers about my recommendations for a "first gun" (those first-time gun buyers are real, imagine that).

My response is to answer direct questions, but I am hesitant to be too specific as what is right for me may not be universal. Beyond that, I am strongly recommending taking a class.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Strongly recommending training as above is the right thing to do. The problem with that is that trainers are now booked out for months.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Just curious, where does the 2.5M plus number come from?

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
I would not think anywhere near a majority of new gun owners bought 200 rounds.
numbers per the NSSF
Some interesting stats from that article:
  • The 2.5 million new gun owners number was only from the first four months of 2020. So it is reasonable for us to assume that there have been a lot more new buyers since the end of April.
  • These new gun buyers spent $595 on the average sale.
  • 40% were female.
  • 25% of first-time buyers had already taken some form of firearms safety course.
  • 63% inquired about taking a firearms safety course in the near future.
  • Semi-auto handguns were the most purchased by far.
  • Shotguns were second and "modern sporting rifles" were a close third. Revolvers were fourth.
COVID was not declared a pandemic until early March, so I'm thinking most of those new gun buyer sales were in March and April. So maybe we are seeing a million new buyers a month, still to this day. So we could have up to three million more on top of that at this point.

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
Shooter Granny, with all due respect “Bingo” reminds me of Mr. Biden as he always says that. I forgive you though.
I guess that's what I get for avoiding "the news" as much as humanly possible, and most particularly anything about that poor Alzheimer's mess inside what looks like a human body.

The one thing I DO remember for sure and will never forget is Obama's campaign promise to fundamental transform the United States - and BOY DID HE EVER!

Reactions: KILTED COWBOY
1 - 15 of 15 Posts