Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I brought home a new CC pistol. It was not the XD45 that I had in layaway, but instead it is as Smith and Wesson 638. I ended up with it due to a better deal. I do not feel it was a bad choice, but knowing my past decisions, those here my correct my thinking. Here is a pic. Sorry for the poor quality photo, it was taken with my phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Great looking pistol. In retrospect I should have gotten the one you bought for my girlfriend instead of the 642. Having a DA/SA option is always a good thing. :yup: :bier:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I almost wish I had gotten the black one, I have never owned a stainless or a revolver. Have not been to the range, not sure when I will have the chance, hopefully soon.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Very nice... you'll end being happier with the snub for a carry gun, than the XD45. The XD is kinda big for a carry gun IMO, but a j-frame snub is a great carry gun...

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Congrats on the new revolver!:hand10:
I think you'll like the 638 for a carry weapon...easy pocket carry (pants or jacket).
I have the 637 only because I prefer the hammer...but basically the same weapon.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Never think you've made a bad choice. It's all for a good cause. Sometimes better deals prevail. Sometimes our spontaneous acts come out better than what we had planned. There's a reason for everything, and everything has it's reason.
Never apologize for pics posted on the forum. Way too many post way too few. I'm down to my phone camera as well due to issues with the Kodak of all things! We all do what we have to do at the time, and we should realize that doing what we can makes all the difference in the big picture. Wishing you the best. Be safe, and enjoy your new pistol.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
very nice. You should put this photo in Sixto's snubbie thread, there's a link in my signature line

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments. Posting in the snubbie thread now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
buddy of mine just bought one in black, within a few days there were wear marks on a few of the edges, he emailed s&w with some picks, they sent him a box to send it back and they said they were going to refinish it.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Congrats on the firearm! I have a 649 Bodyguard from '92, it's like yours except satin stainless. Heavy enough to give some pretty steady shooting for me.

The shrouded hammer is not much to look at, but I do love the functionality.

FYI, I just read this on Snubnose.com:

Perhaps the most infamous photograph of a pistol from the Twentieth Century involves the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard. It was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in 1969. It is the picture of South Vietnamese General Nguyen Ngoc Loan shooting a Viet Cong captain named Bay Lop in the head. I hesitate to bring up this incident, but at the same time, it is impossible for me to chart the history of this hand gun without acknowledging this moment in history.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I've got a 1962 S&W 49 "Bodyguard" all steel frame 38 special. A little heavier, small wood grips. I love that gun. I actually like the unique camel hump look of the gun and it is very functional in its design. Mine is all original, a lot of carry wear, but not been shot to death. You'll love it. Eventually, you'll get so used to looking at yours, the others will look funny.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Great little carry pistol, congrats.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the comments. I need to get it to the range. I put it in a cheap uncle mikle owb and do not even know it is there, I need a pocket holster and a iwb for it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks good, I've had a S&W 60 for over 12 years and like it very much, I think you will like yours also.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can never go wrong with a S&W pistol, particularly a J frame. Congratulations on a great purchase.

Better a light J-frame in the pocket than a large .45 at home.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts