Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, I bought two more so far so I'm at 3. I'd at least like to get to 5 or 6. 10 might be pushing it a bit, but we'll see. I have ammo to stock up on as well.
That’s probably a good number. Maybe my recommendation was a little excessive :).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Looking at the least expensive way to get a basic AR-15. I have pretty decent hands-on skills, so I'm considering building my own. I keep hearing that PSA makes good rifles. Does this kit have everything I need, except the mags? Keep in mind that I'm going basic here, but if another option is better, I'm all ears.

PA-15 complete kit

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Looking at the least expensive way to get a basic AR-15. I have pretty decent hands-on skills, so I'm considering building my own. I keep hearing that PSA makes good rifles. Does this kit have everything I need, except the mags? Keep in mind that I'm going basic here, but if another option is better, I'm all ears.

PA-15 complete kit
You will need a lower receiver.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My local gun store/pawn shop has Anderson lowers for $50. Keep in mind, the lower is what you have to buy or receive through an FFL. Don't let someone try and say something like you need a lower from say BCM, or some such. There's only something like 4 companies that make lower receivers, and they all do the same job, the only differences may be graphics on the side of it, and the brand name.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My local gun store/pawn shop has Anderson lowers for $50. Keep in mind, the lower is what you have to buy or receive through an FFL. Don't let someone try and say something like you need a lower from say BCM, or some such. There's only something like 4 companies that make lower receivers, and they all do the same job, the only differences may be graphics on the side of it, and the brand name.
I appreciate the info! I'll look into that.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
These are out of stock right now, but what would be a typical price for one of these?

Stripped lower receiver
im not sure what PSA usually sells theirs for. I would assume $30-50 plus a $20-30 transfer fee at your local FFL. I would say the best thing is to check around with local gun shops in your area to see what you can find in your area since you won’t have to pay a transfer fee for what they are selling.

workaholic gave good advice on the lowers as well. A lower is a lower, unless one of them is made of billet or something fancy. The stamp on the side doesn’t matter.

Reactions: Fallsrider

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
im not sure what PSA usually sells theirs for. I would assume $30-50 plus a $20-30 transfer fee at your local FFL. I would say the best thing is to check around with local gun shops in your area to see what you can find in your area since you won’t have to pay a transfer fee for what they are selling.
Will do. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I hope this is the last question I have to ask! I'm considering one of these two PSA full kits.

These two look identical, except the first one does not have the "Freedom" barrel. What is that, and does it matter for an extra $10?

PSA Kit #1
PSA Kit #2

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I hope this is the last question I have to ask! I'm considering one of these two PSA full kits.

These two look identical, except the first one does not have the "Freedom" barrel. What is that, and does it matter for an extra $10?

PSA Kit #1
PSA Kit #2
The only difference when you put the two side by side is the Freedom rollmark on the barrel. That was a $100 difference in the "original" prices. Nothing else in the descriptions differ.

Is the word on the barrel worth $10 to you? It's probably not even in a spot you'll see it.

Reactions: Fallsrider

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The only difference when you put the two side by side is the Freedom rollmark on the barrel. That was a $100 difference in the "original" prices. Nothing else in the descriptions differ.

Is the word on the barrel worth $10 to you? It's probably not even in a spot you'll see it.
No, not at all. If it is just the word, but no performance or durability difference, I'll use the $10 towards ammo. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
I believe FN makes all of PSA’s barrels.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Nice. I placed my order last evening for the kit above that does not have the Freedom barrel. I'm looking forward to learning about the various parts and how they fit together. As of right now, I know practically nothing.
Lots of good assembly videos on Youtube. You will be fine.

·
Registered
33,987 Posts
Nice. I placed my order last evening for the kit above that does not have the Freedom barrel. I'm looking forward to learning about the various parts and how they fit together. As of right now, I know practically nothing.
Don't get hung up on "proper" barrel nut torque. It has a wide range to allow for nut/gas tube alignment, and any torque in the range is fine. Then again, some barrel nut/forearm combos do not require "alignment" with the gas tube, so any torque above minimum is good to go. More torque is not necessarily better.

Also make sure the trigger springs are installed in the correct order. Other than that, there's not a lot to go wrong or be easily corrected.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Don't get hung up on "proper" barrel nut torque. It has a wide range to allow for nut/gas tube alignment, and any torque in the range is fine. Then again, some barrel nut/forearm combos do not require "alignment" with the gas tube, so any torque above minimum is good to go. More torque is not necessarily better.

Also make sure the trigger springs are installed in the correct order. Other than that, there's not a lot to go wrong or be easily corrected.
With the upper assembly like you ordered the barrel torque and gas tube alignment should be already taken care of. Just eyeball them.

And let someone else take the first shot,

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I was to build a rifle but may want the ability to “legally” convert to pistol I should ?
Buy a pistol build kit then could covert to rifle by buying a different barrel.
From what I understand you can convert an AR registered as a pistol to a rifle but not rifle to pistol, legally.

Or does the lower just need to be registered as a pistol? And I could build a rifle and later convert to pistol if wanted..

Great thread for us thinking of a build..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

Good to hear.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts