Defensive Carry banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yes. But that and maybe a few punches and a flat tip would be about it, from my understanding. My understanding is also that the freedom line is the bottom line for PSA. If its not marked "Freedom" it's supposed to be mid tier, with top being the CHF barrels. But this is what I read on the net, and I dont know how much stock to put in it.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
I am reading that I will need an armorers wrench. Is that true?
Yes. In your case you will need it for the nut on the buffer tube. Bu ask around and see if any friends have one you can borrow. They will cost anywhere from about $30 up to about $80. Amazon has several just search for "armorers wrench" or "castle nut tool".

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Possibly a clarification is in order. The buffer tube is held on with a "castle nut". (wrench on left) The barrel is held to the receiver with a "barrel nut". (MY version/one of the wrench I chose for THIS nut on right) @Fallsrider , YOU CAN BUY a wrench that's a "combo of these". I PREFER to have "dedicated tool's" for EACH step of assembly!

100_0914.JPG

·
Registered
214 Posts
Without reading all the previous post, just buy a PSA complete AR15 and start shooting. You can overthink anything but a PSA complete AR15 is perfectly adequate for your purposes. If you wish to delve into the "build" arena of AR15's after that then you can do so, while having a perfectly good/usable AR15 at your bedside. The Rugers, S&W's etc. are also perfectly usable, whichever you find available. Buy a case or two of ammo and get familiar with the platform, you will be "head and shoulders" above most at that point. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Without reading all the previous post, just buy a PSA complete AR15 and start shooting. You can overthink anything but a PSA complete AR15 is perfectly adequate for your purposes. If you wish to delve into the "build" arena of AR15's after that then you can do so, while having a perfectly good/usable AR15 at your bedside. The Rugers, S&W's etc. are also perfectly usable, whichever you find available. Buy a case or two of ammo and get familiar with the platform, you will be "head and shoulders" above most at that point. Good luck.
They have been out of stock for some time on the complete rifles.

Edit: And the more I thought about it, I thought it would do me good to assemble one myself to better understand how all the parts work together.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
If I was to build a rifle but may want the ability to “legally” convert to pistol I should ?
Buy a pistol build kit then could covert to rifle by buying a different barrel.
From what I understand you can convert an AR registered as a pistol to a rifle but not rifle to pistol, legally.

Or does the lower just need to be registered as a pistol? And I could build a rifle and later convert to pistol if wanted..

Great thread for us thinking of a build..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The lower has to be transferred as either “pistol” or “other initially if you want to switch back and forth.

Reactions: Maldavis and Pete63

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yes. In your case you will need it for the nut on the buffer tube. Bu ask around and see if any friends have one you can borrow. They will cost anywhere from about $30 up to about $80. Amazon has several just search for "armorers wrench" or "castle nut tool".
Or you could forego the armorer's wrench and install the Primary Weapons System ratcheting castle nut. Ratchet Lock Castle Nut and Endplate Set I wasted money on a cheap armorer's wrench that did not fit. Discovered the PWS castle nut and it was easy peasy to install. The most difficult part of building from a stripped receiver was installing the pivot pin. Fortunately they have a handy tool for that. Amazon.com : Real Avid Pivot Pin Tool (AVAR15PPT), Red : Sports & Outdoors

Another tool that will save you lots of frustration is the bolt catch install tool kit Amazon.com : Wheeler 710906 Engineering Bolt Catch Install Tool Kit : Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My PSA kit came today. I put it together without too much trouble. My armorers wrench is coming tomorrow, so I will snug down the castle nut then. I will be at my parent's tomorrow and can shoot it there, but is it a good idea to fire it with the castle nut for the buffer tube only hand tight? Not sure that's a good idea.

I can't get the rear sight any further back. I need to look into that some more.

Edit: I figured out the rear sight and have it mounted all the way back now.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Just keep an eye on the nut and re-tighten if it loosens. Not ideal, but it's not going to hurt anything as long as you keep it "hand tight".
Thanks, Chuck. I was concerned about gas blow by. My only reason for considering it is that my parents live 80 miles away, and they own several acres of land. Shooting there is easy. But I won't have my armorers wrench until I get back home at the end of the day. And I don't know when I will be able to go back to their house. It sure will be fun to test out my new toy, but only if it is safe.

·
Registered
33,987 Posts
Thanks, Chuck. I was concerned about gas blow by. My only reason for considering it is that my parents live 80 miles away, and they own several acres of land. Shooting there is easy. But I won't have my armorers wrench until I get back home at the end of the day. And I don't know when I will be able to go back to their house. It sure will be fun to test out my new toy, but only if it is safe.
A loose buffer nut will only cause a loose buffer tube and stock. No biggie.

Reactions: Fallsrider

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Thanks to you all who responded about the hand-tightened castle nut. It was a non-issue as you said.

Here's my brief range report. I took the rifle, and my 20 ga. shotgun, to my parents' yesterday. My Dad had mowed an area behind their house, though we only had about 15-20 yds of area to shoot. I took my shotgun because I had loaded it with #3 buck for the first time and wanted to make sure it would run with it. It is a 20 ga. Remington 1100, which is a hunting gun, not an ideal SD gun, but sometimes what you have is much better than nothing. It worked just fine, but the recoil was much more than the dove and quail loads I used as a teenager.

Now to the AR...it ran flawlessly. I only put 11 rounds through it, which testing it for function was my primary goal. It did not blow up in my face, that was the most important part. :giggle: It just fired perfectly every time. I would love to have fired it more, but I have limited ammo for now and didn't want to burn it up. I certainly need to shoot it some more and get a better feel for the trigger, as it is much different than my EDC. But that will come with time.

The recoil was more than I expected but is still a non-issue. Not bad at all. When you've never shot a rifle like this, you have no idea what to expect. I would like to get to a range with longer distances at some point. 50 to 100 yds would be nice to play on. But I met my primary goal of testing functionality.

Yesterday was a proud moment for me. I had never shot an AR. I put together a kit myself and now know a lot of the inner workings of one. If I had bought a complete one off the shelf, I wouldn't know anything about the inside of one. I watched a video on how to break it down and lube it before shooting it the first time, so I did that the night before, even breaking down the bolt carrier group and lubing that (except the firing pin). And when it was all said and done, I now have my first AR that I put together, and it worked perfectly. It's sitting in the safe with 20 rounds in the mag. I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
33,987 Posts
Congrats man. I would not have been concerned about the AR blowing up as much as malfunctioning. I had a heck of a time trying to bet my first AR build to work, my 6mm Mongoose upper on a factory lower from my AR. Just refused to feed. Took a chance with building a lower using the same brand receiver as the upper and all worked fine. Sometimes "mix and match" doesn't work so well.

As for the 1100, don't discount it for SD. I inherited an 1100 12 ga field-grade gun and found a 20 inch barrel for it. Added a mag extension and it is now one of my HD firearms.

Probably invested about $250 in the barrel and accessories.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Congrats man. I would not have been concerned about the AR blowing up as much as malfunctioning. I had a heck of a time trying to bet my first AR build to work, my 6mm Mongoose upper on a factory lower from my AR. Just refused to feed. Took a chance with building a lower using the same brand receiver as the upper and all worked fine. Sometimes "mix and match" doesn't work so well.

As for the 1100, don't discount it for SD. I inherited an 1100 12 ga field-grade gun and found a 20 inch barrel for it. Added a mag extension and it is now one of my HD firearms.

View attachment 332875

Probably invested about $250 in the barrel and accessories.
That is certainly an option to consider, after my bank account recovers from the AR! Mine has a 28" modified barrel, not ideal for SD. Makes an awesome dove gun, though! But I haven't hunted dove in close to 40 years.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts