Registered
20,116 Posts
Lol, mine might see 3 mag fulls a year.

·
Super Moderator
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol, mine might see 3 mag fulls a year.
I do shoot at targets set on the side of the hill out on our old family place on occasion or down at Sanderson, Texas. If guests are along the AR 15's popular.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I've got one AR that saw a couple thousand rounds a year, since I shoot it in 3 gun. I haven't found any problems with it yet, I would estimate it is somewhere around the 3-4k mark total since built.

Maybe I should just build up another spare, just in case.

Really, a well selected stash of spare parts can keep most AR's going for a very long time.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
that's actually some good information. The only firearm I own that has anywhere near those numbers of rounds thru it is a 45 year old Marlin .22 carbine that I purchased new when I was a
young teenager. And it still shoots just fine. In fact, I dispatched a skunk in the backyard with it just a few weeks ago. Original POS 4x scope still holds its zero.

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
I would conservatively estimate that I have at least 9000 rounds through my AR. No issues to date.

My AR is an M&P15 MOE. I use SWL 2000 for lubrication.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Out of the several AR's I own the one that gets shot the most is the M&P 15-22. Mostly because it is so cheap to shoot and it's just plain fun. It has well past 3000 rds downrange and is holding up just as well as its' bigger brothers. I think that good cleaning and lubing practices are key to AR reliability/longevity. The article seems to reinforce that. FWIW I have been using a 50/50 home brew mix of Marvel Mystery Oil and Mobil 1 ever since I have owned AR's. They are much easier to clean using the home brew lube. A friend of mine that worked with me at the PD where I retired from now teaches high volume tactical carbine classes for govt contractors in the sandbox. According to him they tried various lubes and "snake oils" and found that overall the 50/50 mix worked best for their high volume carbine classes. That's what made me a believer in it.

·
Super Moderator
24,668 Posts
6/27/2015

We used Magtech .223 ammo until they got a military contract and couldn't keep up with production. If fairness, they told us 6-8 months in advance that they were pretty sure a contract was coming and that we needed to make sure we had another supplier available in the event they got it. Magtech has been the cleanest of all the ammo we used followed closely by Privi Partizan. I try to avoid Federal and will only use them if no other suppliers are available with the exception of the .50 BMG round.

We are currently using Wolf Gold series of brass case ammo. We've gone through over 500,000 rounds with zero issues. It burns clean and pretty damn close to 5.56mm spec's even though it's listed as .223 Remington.

V/R
Ron
Interesting!

10/1/2016

Here is a Colt M4 that lasted exactly 364 days on the line. This is from a group of Colt's that the RSO's always go to first because of the ease of operation and the "cool" Magpul tan furniture for the customers. These started life as semi-auto M4's with 16" barrels. We estimated that a very conservative round count for this rifle to be at approximately 150,000 rounds.

Here some of the repairs that have been performed on this rifle during it service life.
- four hammer pins
- hammer spring
- ejector spring
- two bolts
- gas rings
- gas tube

The barrel was still shooting straight enough to put holes through the center of the target and group good enough for tourists. There were no signs of "keyholing", no other signs of stress cracks in the upper or lower receiver assemblies.

We don't know at what point the barrel separated from the upper receiver because the customer posed with the gun and then handed it back to the RSO in two pieces. The customer had just finished firing the weapon, handed it to the RSO, who then cleared it and gave it back to the customer for cleaning.

In my opinion, the Colt M4's have worked the best they could considering the environment they have to function in.

V/R
Ron
I'll never shoot my Colt M4s like that, for sure.

It's over 45 pages now. Interesting stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts