Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have their AR accessorized for the sole purpose of home defense? If so, what is your rifle fitted with e.g. scopes, red dots, weapon lights etc. Lastly, when over penetration is a concern what is your choice of ammo, gr weight? Read somewhere on the "Net" that ammo for the sole purpose of dispatching varmint's should be considered for home use when over penetration of walls are a concern. Thanks. Just trying to get some ideas.. Yep, I am pretty much a Green Horn when it comes to this platform, totally a different animal when compared to pistols which I am well schooled on.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
kiss for me I am old school ..Just a basic light maybe a red dot thats it

For some a BAD lever or such might be nice or better charging handle ..I say keep it simply

As for ammo I would find a good defen load Gold dot etc ..Thats just me though

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have two setup identical for home defense. A Daniel Defense DDM4v7 and a Colt 6920. Both have Aimpoint pros and Streamlight TR-1 on them. Loaded with Hornady TAP ammo.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I have two setup identical for home defense. A Daniel Defense DDM4v7 and a Colt 6920. Both have Aimpoint pros and Streamlight TR-1 on them. Loaded with Hornady TAP ammo.
That's basically my set up as well. I think a quality WML and a RDS are very nice to have for home defense.

I have a different HD ammo but I think any good hollow point would be fine. I'd probably not choose a varmint ammo but I suppose if it's what I had loaded, I'd have no problem shooting the heck out of someone with it if necessary.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I'm fortunate to be in a situation where over-penetration isn't major concern. My AR setup is fairly simple. I run it with an Aimpoint PRO, and Inforce WML at 12:00 o'clock, offset sights at a 45 degree angle off the right side and a BCM VFG. Just a basic two point sling right now. For ammo I'm using 55gr GMX ammo in Lancer AWF mags.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Colt LE6920, Trijicon TriPower in Larue cantilever mount, SureFire X300U on a 12'Oclock mount (barrier friendly, and ambi), Vicker's sling, Troy BUIS, Nosler 60 grn Ballistic Tips, Magpul furniture & PMAGS.

As it resides in a V-Line vault

This is my 3rd or 4th "redo" of this after taking a few carbine glasses and shooting some matches. I have a Colt 6951 (9mm) set up the same way, which I train with as to not damage my steel TGTs. Also a lot faster & cheaper reloading 9mm VS 5.56.

in 9mm:

I live in the country (80 acres) and my house is ICF (8" concrete walls), so I'm not sweating over-penetration that much.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
My go-to HD long gun is my Stag Arms 9mm AR that takes the 32 rd Colt "stick" mags. I am a big fan of 9 mm AR's for CQC due to there being much less muzzle blast in confined spaces. Just my .02 worth

Reactions: WC145 and Chuck R.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
KISS- I run a simple sling. I have an old 512 Eotech red dot. I really like the Aimpoint, but can't justify getting rid of a perfectly good optic for another (less, but still...) expensive optic. I have zero concern for "overpeneration". 5.56 doesn't have enough power to overpenetrate a human size target. It will effectively penetrate. I worry about shots that miss. Therefore, I use M193 55 gr ammo. Drywall quickly defeats the light stuff.

The only thing I'd add is a light. Right now, I don't have a dedicated rifle mounted light. If you do, make sure you mount it as close to the muzzle as possible. That is another advantage of a free floated barrel with a full length rail system.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Colt LE6920, Trijicon TriPower in Larue cantilever mount, SureFire X300U on a 12'Oclock mount (barrier friendly, and ambi), Vicker's sling, Troy BUIS, Nosler 60 grn Ballistic Tips, Magpul furniture & PMAGS.

As it resides in a V-Line vault

This is my 3rd or 4th "redo" of this after taking a few carbine glasses and shooting some matches. I have a Colt 6951 (9mm) set up the same way, which I train with as to not damage my steel TGTs. Also a lot faster & cheaper reloading 9mm VS 5.56.

in 9mm:

I live in the country (80 acres) and my house is ICF (8" concrete walls), so I'm not sweating over-penetration that much.

Chuck

I certainly would like to know where you found the 12 o'clock weapons light mount?. By the way you got a sharp looking rifle. :eek:k:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I certainly would like to know where you found the 12 o'clock weapons light mount?. By the way you got a sharp looking rifle. :eek:k:

Rhodie,

I'm not even sure they're making them any more....it's called a Mossie Midnight Mount:

BattleComp Mossie Midnight Mount / MT2400FSB-PIC

You may still be able to find one. I got both of mine from a dealer in Canada.

Chuck

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chuck thanks for your reply and the link. I did a search and PSA also carries this same mount so I left them an email to be notified when back in stock. Also left my email address with Battle Comp to be notified when mount is back in stock.

·
Banned
747 Posts
I have an old 512 Eotech red dot. I really like the Aimpoint, but can't justify getting rid of a perfectly good optic for another (less, but still...) expensive optic.
You know EoTech will buy it back for full retail price right, due to them all being defective and unfixable? And then you can go buy an Aimpoint.

·
Banned
747 Posts
All you really need is a light. I use a Surefire P2X Fury Tactical in an Impact Weapons Components SMCXL mount. Other carbine uses a Surefire Scout M600 and a IWC SMC scout mount. I use Magpul handguards. High quality stuff that puts the light right where I like it. I do NOT like how the pistol lights (TLR1) mount on long guns.

Looks like this:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All you really need is a light. I use a Surefire P2X Fury Tactical in an Impact Weapons Components SMCXL mount. Other carbine uses a Surefire Scout M600 and a IWC SMC scout mount. I use Magpul handguards. High quality stuff that puts the light right where I like it. I do NOT like how the pistol lights (TLR1) mount on long guns.

Looks like this:

Just what the Doctor ordered, thanks for sharing and I just bookmarked the page.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
You know EoTech will buy it back for full retail price right, due to them all being defective and unfixable? And then you can go buy an Aimpoint.
Yeah, I've heard they're all junk and should be updated immediately. The problem is, mine won't quit. Except for the batterylife. Aimpoint has the clear advantage there

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I like the KISS principle when it comes to a carbine. The AR that I have earmarked for "repel boarers" situations is my primary fighting carbine.

14.5" BCM upper on a Troy lower. The flash hider is pinned to make sure there are no NFA issues. I swapped out the Troy stock for a Magpul CTR - mostly because I prefer the slimmer profile.

It's wearing a Streamlight TLR-1HL sitting at 12:00 so that it can be easily activated, regardless of whether I am shooting strong side or support side. I am running a Trijicon SRS because I like the minimal preceived occlusion of field of view through that particular RDS. My only other accessory is a Vickers sling. I happen to have this one set up with a Burnsed socket so that I have the option of running it as a single point - put 99% of the time I simply leave it in a two point configuration.

My ammo of choice for HD is Federal LE 62 grain bonded SP.

I have chosen not to run a varmint or frangible round because I don't feel that the barrier performance is worth giving up for the marginal decrease in potential for collateral damage.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have quite a few firearms (handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc), but none that I purposely have as a "home defense weapon". They are all home defense weapons. I have two AR's; Bushmaster and S&W MP Sport I. Both have lights in Elzetta mounts, with the Bushmaster wearing the Aimpoint PRO, while the M&P has the standard iron sights. It's all going to come down to whichever one I grab first.

Unless you get some of the "barrier type" specific ammo, just about any normal AR ammo has less penetration when compared to most of the handgun ammo. Nothing is 100%.....what is designed to stop inside the walls, might go through and what is designed to go through, may be stopped.

Of course, there is a 9-shot Mossberg 590 pump shogun loaded with buckshot in the tube and slugs in the side saddle nestled between the AR's ;)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Unless you get some of the "barrier type" specific ammo, just about any normal AR ammo has less penetration when compared to most of the handgun ammo.
Very true. Even the old school 55 grain FMJ projectiles will "over-penetrate" less than a normal handgun round....and do a far better job of stopping goblins.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts