Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many, I’ve got an M4 clone I like to tinker with, my particular version is a S&W MP15 Sport II. Like LEGO sets of long ago, I’ve attached, removed, and force fitted things to ultimately fit my particular needs.

One thing I haven’t changed is the original six position stock, that being because I really like the look, form, and overall function of the thing. My only dislike is that it does wobble a bit, not enough to affect function, but I don’t like it.

Are all six position stocks like that? I’d rather not blow $100 just to end up with the same thing, especially since it works fine other than the slight wobble.

Current form for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
My favorite adjustable AR15 carbine stocks are Magpul CTRs as they've got a friction lock that pretty much eliminates any movement:

There are others available, but then you usually start adding weight, cost etc. Really depends on your task/purpose. For instance my next build is going to be a SPR and will wear a MAGPUL UBR stock. Heavier than normal and at close to $200 more expensive, but it's stable and a better "fit" for a precision type AR15:

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
@Chuck R. Yep. I agree the Magpul stock is the best stock on the market for an M4 clone. I see some crazy people paying almost $300 for a stock that doesn't do any more than the $15 mil-spec gadget.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,874 Posts
My Alexander Arms AR-15 .50 Beowulf has a solid adjustable stock for the increased recoil. My AR-15s in 5.56X45mm have the standard adjustable stocks with the light recoil.

Reactions: OldChap and Tstone

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I’ve always liked Magpul stuff, I’ve got several of their products on various rifles, including this one. Though I’m sure it could be, this isn’t really a purposed precision rifle so much as a fun range toy and home defender. Even the factory stock is fine for that, but I find that the wobble detracts from it a bit.

Reactions: Tstone and Chuck R.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
I will second the Magpul stocks but the Stag Arms factory stocks are equally wobble free!

Reactions: Tstone and Chuck R.

·
Registered
318 Posts
All "M4 mil-spec" stocks seem to be virtually indistinguishable from each other. They all work flawlessly, but they all wobble a bit.
I've got more ARs than you're average owner. I run the cheaper Magpul CTR stock on most of my guns because I'm too cheap to buy my favorite stock for every AR.
My favorite stock that I put on all my competition ARs is the Magpul STR. Good solid lockup, QD sling placement right, and the perfect cheek weld for fast and consistent shots from various ready positions. Came to this conclusion from hours and hours (and thousands of rounds) of ready-up drills.
Honorable mention to the KAK Shockwave that I have on most of my AR pistols, Prefer it over my SB Tactical braces.

Edit: Also want to mention that I hate stocks with rubberized cheekwelds. They catch and pull clothing and my face. After repetition it prevent me from really seating the rifle right because my face/beard hurts after a few dozen times.

·
Registered
34,733 Posts
I found myself unimpressed with the M4 adjustable stocks. I find them uncomfortable at best. When I decided to build a lower, I opted for an A2 stock and have no regrets whatsoever.

Reactions: Nmuskier and Tstone

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All "M4 mil-spec" stocks seem to be virtually indistinguishable from each other. They all work flawlessly, but they all wobble a bit.
I've got more ARs than you're average owner. I run the cheaper Magpul CTR stock on most of my guns because I'm too cheap to buy my favorite stock for every AR.
My favorite stock that I put on all my competition ARs is the Magpul STR. Good solid lockup, QD sling placement right, and the perfect cheek weld for fast and consistent shots from various ready positions. Came to this conclusion from hours and hours (and thousands of rounds) of ready-up drills.
Honorable mention to the KAK Shockwave that I have on most of my AR pistols, Prefer it over my SB Tactical braces.

Edit: Also want to mention that I hate stocks with rubberized cheekwelds. They catch and pull clothing and my face. After repetition it prevent me from really seating the rifle right because my face/beard hurts after a few dozen times.

View attachment 333212
I like the KAK myself also...it’s what I run on my AR pistols, too.

If they had a version like that...with the set screw to keep it locked tight, but with a full width stock for the shoulder, I’d be all over it!

Reactions: Tstone

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so I will say that the Roger's Super Stoc is fantastic (in my opinion). Zero play or movement whatsoever. It's very light and seems quite tough too.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
I would have to go look, (too lazy), but I'm pretty sure there is a rubber recoil pad that fits the MagPul, including the CTR stock. I have one on my AR-10. Works just fine.

Reactions: airslot

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
There are and I think Limbsaver is also making a recoil pad for some Magpul stocks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts