Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK all you AR fans, how do you clear a jammed AR? I was shooting my AR last week and the bolt ran part way over the bullet partly stripping the round. I am stuck with a round halve way in the chamber with bolt over the other halve. It took about a half an hour to clear. I could not open the upper ( I think that is what it is called.) Had I been in a fight I would have been dead unless I had a spare rifle or dead buddy. This stoppage made me think my M1A and M1 are not so out dated.

So anyone have any answers. Remember the only tool you have is a pointy bullet.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Sorry, relatively new to the AR platform. There is a website dedicated to the Ar15 maybe you could find more experts there.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
The round was over the bolt/carrier?

·
Super Moderator
16,758 Posts
Not quite the same malfunction but I had a round that jammed in the chamber, I left to rifle pointed down range and called the RSO over. He cleared the rifle by pulling down on the charging handle then smartly hitting the butt stock against the shooting bench, that ejected the offending round and put the rifle back in action.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
the other knarly malf you'll encounter is the bolt going under the round. Mortaring the rifle like msgt described or taking something stiff (metal) and hooking the BCG just behind the bolt and pulling the BCG to the rear.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rocky the round was under the bolt carrier.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never thought about hitting the butt against something hard. If it had a bolt handle I would have kicked, M14style.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Not quite the same malfunction but I had a round that jammed in the chamber, I left to rifle pointed down range and called the RSO over. He cleared the rifle by pulling down on the charging handle then smartly hitting the butt stock against the shooting bench, that ejected the offending round and put the rifle back in action.
^^^What he said. That's EXACTLY how we were taught to clear that particular malfunction/stoppage on the range and as a "combat action drill". And bolt riding OVER a round instead of catching it properly out of the mag and feeding it into the chamber.. happened more than a couple times in my career.. (never in combat thank god).. 1) Remove magazine, 2)Strong pull of charging handle/pull bolt back 3) Remove stuck/offending round from chamber. 4)Reinsert mag, reload.. continue firing.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
1. Drop the magazine.
2. You have a charging handle. You will need to pull it to the rear and hold it. If you use the bolt catch, the bolt will usually release when you slam the butt down.

Sounds like you may not have had the magazine completely seated. Give each magazine a good slap up when you insert it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Never thought about hitting the butt against something hard. If it had a bolt handle I would have kicked, M14style.
Mortaring is a good last resort, Protip: collapse your stock all the way against the receiver BEFORE mortaring the carbine.

1. Drop the magazine.
2. You have a charging handle. You will need to pull it to the rear and hold it. If you use the bolt catch, the bolt will usually release when you slam the butt down.

Sounds like you may not have had the magazine completely seated. Give each magazine a good slap up when you insert it.
I prefer locking the bolt to the rear BEFORE attempting to drop the magazine; this method will take tension off the malfunction and will help to not damage components. Trying to tear a magazine out of a malfunction under tension, could result in another malfunction being induced when a damaged mag is reinserted.

OP, there's various types of malfunctions (type 1, 2, 3) with two pretty surefire ways with which to clear them:

Immediate action: basically the tap, rack, attempt to fire method. With carbines I'd advocate a "push/pull" instead of tap. Some guys "taps" under stress becomes an ass-beating, and I've seen dudes thump on a magazine so hard they pop another round or two out of in and into the chamber. No bueno. So...
-push /pull: confirm magazine is seated
-rack: run the charging handle to the rear and LET GO, do not ride it forward. this will remove a bad round if it's there and clear the chamber.
-attempt to fire: self explanatory
^this should all done with the stock still shouldered and can be done sub 1s

If at this point you don't get a bang, time for remedial

In a 'live' scenario, IF target is within your handgun range, THEN transition to handgun
IF target is outside handgun range and is not closing, THEN communicate, seek cover and begin

Remedial action:
-pull gun into workspace, I like to anchor my stock on my right thigh just below my waist (anchoring helps lock bolt to rear quickly)
-lock bolt to the rear, taking tension off the malfunction
-run charging handle home (against gas tube) to get it out of the way AND to confirm no changing handle impingement
-pull magazine out, retain or jettison the mag based on your situation (I prefer to throw it in a dump pouch and use fresh mag once malfunction is clear)
-check the magwell/chamber. place a couple fingers up there and feel around quickly to get loose rounds out, do this while rotating the gun starboard a bit, so rounds can either drop through the empty magwell or out of the ejection port
-reinstert a fresh magazine using the push/pull method
-send bolt home using the bolt release, remember the charging handle is already home, leave him there. he likes his home.
-attempt to fire
^this, with practice, can be done in under 3s

malf drills are some of the least practiced out there, which is a damn shame since most of us employ mag-fed pistols and carbines. they're fun and they incorporate thinking, instead of just mindlessly blasting at targets.

Reactions: sdprof
1 - 14 of 14 Posts