Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this. I bought a couple of MFT mags. The bag says 20/30 round capacity. They hold 20. How can they be switched to 30 if they can be?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The solid part is molded to the baseplate. It is not separate. I removed the spring to be sure.

Edit: will it work if the spring just sits on the floor plate?

I went to MFT's site, but they don't have any instructions that I can find.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Load to 28, not 30.
You will fail to seat a magazine on a closed bolt, eventually, loading 30. To have a mag not drop out of the gun under duress is worth the cost of 2.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
I don’t know what you paid for those, but might I recommend P-Mags from now on?

·
Registered
873 Posts
My first experience with the AR-type rifles was in Vietnam. Standard magazine was a 20-round unit, but we learned quickly to never load it to full capacity. My typical load was (from the top) one tracer, 4 ball, one tracer, 4 ball, one tracer, 4 ball, then three tracers (total 18 rounds). The final three tracer rounds served to alert me to the need to change magazines.

I know they have been using 30-round mags for a long time now. They probably have some pretty good ones, and I'm sure a lot of the after-market mags are total crap. I can't imagine trying to keep track of my ammo during a firefight with 30-round mags, and I know that I couldn't possibly get into a good low prone firing position with one of those long magazines in my rifle. I seem to remember that it was always best to stay down as low as possible when the bullets were flying around. Those things hurt when they hit you, and I always carried spare underwear for those embarrassing moments.

Old man's meandering thoughts. Nothing to see here so just move along.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I recently ordered P-Mags from PSA. They were $12.30 each with free shipping if you bought 5 or more. They are showing in stock as of this morning.

I'd never heard of the practice of loading mags to less than capacity so as to make it easier to seat them under duress. While I can see the point being made, it's hard for me to even imagine a scenario where I need to reload my AR while taking fire. I surely hope things don't ever get that far out of hand.

I'm only shooting at the range and always load a full 30 rounds. I start the day with the bolt open and the mag seats easily. When the mag is empty the bolt is once again open and the next mag goes home without any extra effort.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I recently ordered P-Mags from PSA. They were $12.30 each with free shipping if you bought 5 or more.....
I will maybe look again in a month or two. I've spent enough $$ for now. My bride is rolling her eyes at our CC bill coming up next month (we pay in full).

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
I've been buying mags from these fine folks for several years now. They have just recently moved to the DFW area so shipping anywhere in the country is about the same number of days and price.

And BTW...for those of you who struggled with VN era mags. The new design followers allow a full 30 round load. No problems.

Reactions: Fallsrider

·
Registered
34,523 Posts
I've had good luck with ASC stainless steel mags. They come in a variety of capacities from five rounds up. One advantage is they allow for a slightly longer COL than P-Mags if you reload ammo, as well as being more durable than alum mags. My 5- and 10-rd mags are the same short length, nice for bench shooting. They also have longer mags blocked to 10 rounds for the commie states. I suppose they can be unblocked if need be.

Reactions: Fallsrider

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I have USGI aluminum 20 & 30 rd. Pmag 10, 20 & 30 rd. And Hexmag 30 rd (previously 10/30).
All lock in & eject just fine. I've never used the 30's, only the 10 & 20 rd mags.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts