Defensive Carry banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I have not seen any shortages in the wholesale market but prices have certainly increased at the distributor level. Wholesale chicken breast was 60 cents/lbs before the apocalypse. Today I paid $1.20. Ground beef- Angus 80/20, was $2.20/lbs and now it is $3.10. Everything else has increased as well. Y'all might not have seen it too much yet but the increases are coming to you as well. Restaurants and supermarkets are at the end of the supply chain and deal directly with the public so they try hard to keep prices low for as long as possible. Restaurants especially try hard to delay since consumers always think they are making more money. Really they are just passing along the increased cost, albeit as slowly and as little as possible. Distributors don't care and do not need to, so that is where the increases show up first. You'll see them eventually if these trends continue. Just a heads up.

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
Good to go for a while. Probably have 30 pounds in the freezer and another 50 - 75 pounds in potted meat. Also have a month of freeze dried sin #10 cans.

There are rabbits and squirrels if times get hard. Not to mention a herd of deer close by.

Food is not in short supply but rather plentiful. Real food, not that processed stuff.

·
Registered
34,024 Posts
I get all stocked up on toilet paper and now its meat. Good grief.
Of course this had to happen after I quit deer hunting, sold all my bows, crossbows, muzzleloaders, and moved to where I can't hunt.
Shut up and sign up for Meals on Wheels!

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Yep, and if the frozen inventory runs out I'll restock with feral hog meat.
Isn't that the truth? We have enough feral hogs in this part of the woods to feed half the country - for a long time! Of course, the Muslims may go hungry.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Sadly, feral pigs don't venture too far into Wisconsin. The strain that we have on the loose in the US can't take the cold at all. I do have my small game license and can work on re-stocking the freezer with squirrels if I need to. I'm not hurting for meat, and we are not seeing any shortage of meat around here.

We do have a new shortage though. One that actually makes sense for this time of year. Paper towels are becoming scarce. It's window cleaning season!

·
Premium Member
7,156 Posts
Isn't that the truth? We have enough feral hogs in this part of the woods to feed half the country - for a long time! Of course, the Muslims may go hungry.
Have you hunted hogs? They are about as easy to see/shoot as wild turkeys. Wily critters they are!

Our governing body "hired" Gramps to sit up all night for several different nights (not in succession) on one or two of our golf courses to shoot hogs because they were destroying the turf, wiping out several complete fairways and greens in a night. Gramps knows how to hunt! But the hogs also figured out that there was a person somewhere in the vicinity and "sheltered in place" every one of those nights.

Watching you tube videos of professional hog hunters, it seems they are far, far, away, with excellent rifles and scopes. And sometimes even they have a night or two with no kills.

However, if you get a fairly young one and know how to fix it properly, it can be really good eating. And if it was a matter of survival, we would eat pig meat if we could get it. It's not a religious prohibition for us, just a health thing.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Have you hunted hogs? They are about as easy to see/shoot as wild turkeys. Wily critters they are!

Our governing body "hired" Gramps to sit up all night for several different nights (not in succession) on one or two of our golf courses to shoot hogs because they were destroying the turf, wiping out several complete fairways and greens in a night. Gramps knows how to hunt! But the hogs also figured out that there was a person somewhere in the vicinity and "sheltered in place" every one of those nights.

Watching you tube videos of professional hog hunters, it seems they are far, far, away, with excellent rifles and scopes. And sometimes even they have a night or two with no kills.

However, if you get a fairly young one and know how to fix it properly, it can be really good eating. And if it was a matter of survival, we would eat pig meat if we could get it. It's not a religious prohibition for us, just a health thing.
They’ve been in the front yard of the house across the street. We have all these “green belt” things where people can walk in the forest - when the hogs don’t jump out of the bushes at them!

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
846 Posts
...I do have my small game license and can work on re-stocking the freezer with squirrels if I need to...
Although Jean and I really like squirrel meat, especially splay-roasted over the coals of an open fire, we can't do that here: All of the neighborhood squirrels are friends of ours.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I have one less pork roast as I smoked it this weekend on the Big Green Egg. That was supper both Saturday and Sunday as well as lunch Sunday and will be used for quite a few meals this week.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
My brother in law up in Iowa has deer and fish filling several large freezers. He's good for several months, at a minimum. We aren't so inclined. I'm not a great hunter and have nothing to legally hunt with. At least I don't think my 9mm Shield is legal to hunt deer down here. And it's not the best for rachet and squirrel.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts