Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting suggestions on which ar15 (m4a3) iron rear sights people like?

I never plan on adding optics.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Used it the way to go. People are always taking off their rear iron sights and selling them when they buy fancy optics. There is little need for a folding one if you never plan to add optics.

Mine has got one of these it works fine: Lewis Machine & Tool Company :: www.lewismachine.net

Do you plan to use the range markings to calculate bullet drop as was intended?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I like this rear sight.

CSAT Combat Sight

Here's some info about it:

CSAT Rear Sight for AR-15/M4/M16
AR-15 rear sight aperture from Paul Howe
Use the notch for 7 yard zero.
Use the small aperture for 100 yard zero.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The LaRue BUIS is what's sitting on my rifle, my brother's, and my dad's. We like it. My next BUIS will be Troy folding BUIS to see how they compare.

Check your PMs, something. :wink:

-B

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
LaRue BUIS does not have the in the field windage and height/range adjustment. I would miss it. It even says it is intended to be a backup, not a primary sight.

The CSAT has a small aperture for 7-100 yards? The small aperture greatly reduces your field of view at close distances and in darkness. Offset from sights to barrel is overrated. 2 inches low at 7 yards is just fine with me. Who needs rifle sights at 7 yards? :)

The standard military carry handle or M4 rear sight has some clever things that do make life easier. This weapon and it's sighting system are designed to be flat shooting +- 2 inches out to 200 meters or so... Little need to mess with extra junk.

My LMT sight as above has a large aperture for 0-200 meter shooting. No range adjustment necessary. Flip up the small aperture and you are set at 300 and can twist and adjust height to 800 meters.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I got the A.R.M.S. sight.... and don't like the large aperature at all, to me it's hard to quickly sight in anything... even at close range. The small flip aperature is fine, but I find the top groove for quick sighting at long distances the easiest.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If they're strictly used as back up sights the inexpensive Magpul BUS polymer sights work well when mounted on a rail, however thy're not suitable for gas block mounting.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
simple sight + carry handle combo is more then enough for my iron sight needs. Adjustable wind+elev and 2 reticles.

·
Banned
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If they're strictly used as back up sights the inexpensive Magpul BUS polymer sights work well when mounted on a rail, however thy're not suitable for gas block mounting.
looking for primary rear iron sight...not a backup

although it appears many labeled buis's are plenty capable of being your sole sight.

at this point I'm leaning towards Troy's rear fixed battlesight:
Rear Fixed Battlesight

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Happen to have a link to a good example?
The one I have came with my M&P15. It looks like the one UTG sells. I have seen them in gun stores for around 30-50 bucks

AR-15 Carry handle [MNT-950] - $35.90 : U-T-G.com, Weapon accessories

stoner makes one with a weaver rail too.

AR-Stoner Detachable Tactical Carry Handle with A2 Rear Sight AR-15 Aluminum Matte - MidwayUSA

DPMS or Olympic sells ones like mine but are not very cheap.

DPMS Detachable Carry Handle with A2 Rear Sight AR-15 Aluminum Matte - MidwayUSA

·
Banned
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thank you razor!
that dpms looks quality...and still cheaper than the Troy.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
thank you razor!
that dpms looks quality...and still cheaper than the Troy.
you wouldn't think a carry handle would be much use... until you have one on the rifle :danceban:

·
Banned
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you wouldn't think a carry handle would be much use... until you have one on the rifle :danceban:
Now that I'm thinking about it, interesting that the AR15/M16 is the only gun (to my knowledge) that has a carry handle.

...I'm sure someone will correct me for being wrong

·
Registered
111 Posts
It the Marine Corps, we never carried by the "carryhandle". Never. NEVER!

You might as well throw it on the ground!!

:embarassed:

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
simple sight + carry handle combo is more then enough for my iron sight needs. Adjustable wind+elev and 2 reticles.
Same here. Good suggestion.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts