Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Salute All
Do you keep your AR15 mags loaded or unloaded? If so will it cause problems with springs?
My defensive guns for home are shotgun and .45 so I dont load them but if the Zombies come knocking in #'s :comeandgetsome:
What do you guys do?

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
There is nothing wrong with keeping them loaded.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
All loaded.

Springs wear out by cycles, not compression.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I would not fully load mags.

30 rd mag = 27 rds. This keeps all the tension off the springs.

JMHO

But you also have to think that they are making better springs now-a-days, so fully loading may not harm.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
I have about 9 mags (PMAGs) loaded....7 since December...2 since October....no problems

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
I keep a couple of my 20 rounders loaded always.......one in the rifle. The rest are empty until the next range trip.

·
Registered
657 Posts

JMHO

But you also have to think that they are making better springs now-a-days, so fully loading may not harm.
GI mags yes, but PMAGs are good to go with a full 30 rounds.

ARC mags are also good to go with a full 30 rounds.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I've got lots and lots of AR mags. I keep the majority loaded. All are downloaded by a couple rounds, but I probably don't need to do so. Same with lots and lots of Uzi and AK magazines.

·
Registered
420 Posts

JMHO
I have no idea about the 27 VS 30 round thing, but it's a fact of physics that a spring with 27 rounds pushing on it is not wearing any less than a spring with 30. As has been pointed out, springs don't wear when they are compressed or when they are released, they only wear when they are cycled between the two states..

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All
Thanks for advice will load up the mags it should give me more space in the ammo Boxes!!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Downloading aluminum AR mags is not about reducing compression on the springs. There are problems with the mags seating properly with a full 30-round load on a closed bolt, but the problems are alleviated when you download to 28 rounds.

The only real problem with leaving magazines loaded for long periods of time is feed lip spread. Again, this is more noted in GI mags than in ARC mags, Pmags, and Lancers.

-B

1 - 14 of 14 Posts