Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title states, do you lube your AR with oil, grease or a combination? Personally, I prefer a quality oil. I have used everything from RemOil, Mobil 1 and to my current favorite of Slip 2000 EWL. Been using Slip 2000 EWL now for a while and have found it to run really well and it cleans up pretty easy to boot. Having said that, I truly believe a quart of synthetic 5w30 motor oil would last the average shooter (including myself) a long time and for a fraction of the cost compared to dedicated gun lubes. Interested to hear what everyone else likes and uses?

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
Only guns I ever recall putting grease on are miniguns and mk19s. Everything else gets oil.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Mobil 1 mixed 50/50 with Marvel Mystery Oil. Been using it for years on all my guns.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
LAW (Lubricant, Artic Weapons) works great. It’s a Teflon-based grease with good staying power. It’s also thinner than a normal grease, but I like it cause it stays put...

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
All my weapons, Rifles,Shotguns and Handguns, use Hoppe`s Ultra,Never an Issue!. Hoppe`s products have been my standard for over 50 years and have Never disappointed me. Will Continue.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Oh Lord, OP opened up a big can of worms. Look, lube is lube and it don't matter what brand you use, just as long as you keep it lubed. I have used most of the "miracle" lubes and other brands all the way down to 10w30 motor oil. To tell ya the truth, I haven't found any significant difference between any of them. I have thrown away more bottles of lube than I have actually used. IMO, if there was just one lube I "had" to choose, I would just go with any flavor of conventional motor oil.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
If an AR needs grease, something is wrong. Same with a Glock. A good oil (pick your poision) works every time, and not too much.

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Mobil 1 mixed 50/50 with Marvel Mystery Oil. Been using it for years on all my guns.
I've never considered such a mixture; and, I just happen to have both in my garage.

Will give this a try! Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had been using a leftover quart of Valvoline 5W20 for my pistols without a problem. Then I got an AR, and the Valvoline burned up with a nasty smell.

Switched everything over to CLP for lube, and the nasty smell is gone and the pistols still function just fine. M-Pro7 for cleaning all of them. No grease on anything except for AR assembly.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
In the Army, I ran ranges with M16A1, A2, and M4. The A1's and A2's were well used and probably not as well maintained as personally owned carbine. My anecdotal opinion is that these service rifles probably showed wear and failures most Colt and FN rifles would expect over time. My conclusion here is that they ran great with a consistent application of CLP. The M4's needed much less lubricant. Maybe that is due to updated design. Maybe that is because they weren't 10-30 years old.

But I don't want my AR to be dripping lubricant. Also, I store my AR vertically. If you apply even moderate oil to your AR then store it muzzle up, the oil will migrate to your buffer. This is why I use minimal oil and favor zero weight, aluminum base grease. This experience is for M4 style chambered AR receivers.

Oil- synthetic motor oil. Sparingly. Trigger group springs, extractor and spring, forward assist. Wipe off excess. I wipe an oiled cloth over the bolt parts and bolt carrier to dissolve any cleaner and condition the steel. Then I wipe these clean and mostly dry with a clean cloth. ANY excess will migrate into the lowest part of your AR during storage.

0 weight grease- I wipe this on as a film. Bolt, bolt lugs, extractor pin, firing pin retaining pin, rails of the bolt carrier and upper receiver, underside of the bolt carrier where it contacts the hammer. This 0 weight grease is in place after months of storage. The rifle can come out of the safe and go through a range session without additional lubrication.

I choose aluminum base grease because of its superior rebound and water displacement. Molybdenum has similar rebound, but not as good water displacement. I use food grade lubricant because it is safe to handle without gloves.
https://www.lubriplate.com/Products/Grease/Multi-Purpose-Greases/FGL-00,-4-6-LB-TUBS/FGL-0/

·
Registered
33,912 Posts
I had CLP migrate to the lowest point in my Rem 788. It seeped into the bolt and gummed up the firing pin to the point it would not fire. After cleaning, I did two things. Switched to a different lube and stored the rifle muzzle down. I've never had that problem with any other lube.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts