Defensive Carry banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Moly wheel bearing grease or alg go juice grease on the trigger and hammer where they mate up. Also use the grease on the bottom of the bolt carrier group where it rubs on the hammer.

I put 1 drop of 3in1 Teflon oil in the little hole in the carrier to lube the bolt.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
I'll stick with CLP half a life time it has not let me down yet.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
A pack of cheap store-brand dryer softener sheets works better and smells better too!
My wife and I drove to Titusville last May. From Jacksonsville to Titusville the Love-bugs were swarming. How do you use the dryer sheets? I won't be coming down this May but probably will next year.

·
Registered
34,024 Posts
My wife and I drove to Titusville last May. From Jacksonsville to Titusville the Love-bugs were swarming. How do you use the dryer sheets? I won't be coming down this May but probably will next year.
Wet the vehicle (or the sheet for small areas), and wipe the bugs off. Simple as that--really. Works for all bugs actually. October and May are the worst times for lovebugs, but they can be out any time of year.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Wet the vehicle (or the sheet for small areas), and wipe the bugs off. Simple as that--really. Works for all bugs actually. October and May are the worst times for lovebugs, but they can be out any time of year.
Hmmm, I will give that a try!

·
Registered
34,024 Posts
Hmmm, I will give that a try!
Any fabric softener works, but the dryer sheets are really handy to keep in a car. I've mixed softener and water in a bucket with a brush and used it to wash the bugs off a covered car.

Reactions: Tundra5.7

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Any fabric softener works, but the dryer sheets are really handy to keep in a car. I've mixed softener and water in a bucket with a brush and used it to wash the bugs off a covered car.
I guess it softens the bugs so they wash off easier?

·
Registered
34,024 Posts
I guess it softens the bugs so they wash off easier?
Definitely! Lovebugs in particular, as you have found out, are like gummy glue when they splatter. Windshield wash just smears them across everything.

Reactions: Tundra5.7

·
Registered
Various
15,567 Posts
Definitely! Lovebugs in particular, as you have found out, are like gummy glue when they splatter. Windshield wash just smears them across everything.

I remember the first time after I moved to Southwest Florida and ran through a cloud of Love Bugs. I was driving west into the sun in the afternoon. I hit the windshield wash button about three times and turned on the wipers on the Corvette. I had to pull off of the road and use all of the fast food napkins in the center console to clear a patch until I got home.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
This comment brings to mind a friend of mine. Quite the gun crank. However, he also has a PhD in materials science and develops lubricants for the petroleum industry.

His response "Read the owners manual and grease where it tells you. Hit the shiny bits too. Otherwise a thin coat of any gun oil on everything else.

I asked him what sort of greases and oils to use. His response, which I found interesting was basically "A firearm is such a low stress application it doesn't really matter. I'd use whatever I have laying around, but avoid WD-40 unless you're actually displacing water. It might gum stuff up, it might not, but that's not what it's designed for."

I figure I'll trust him and his PhD.
I am an avid cyclist. I would postulate that bicycles have an even lower stress than firearms; less heat, slower movement, less pressure. It absolutely matters what lubricant you use on a bicycle. From rust to gummed coatings to dirt attraction, lubricant matters on a bicycle. So I think lubricant on a firearm matters too.

As I, and others, stated. I don't just want a lubricant for the range. I would agree, and I stated, I am less picky about lube on the range. I store my guns. I snowshoed out to a range last weekend. So some of my guns go more than 6 months in the safe. When I pull it out, I want it to work. After 6 months, some lubricants may not be there. Some may be glue. My 0 weight grease is there, and it works from shot #1 to 200+. My point is that home and self defense are not all about what gets a gun through a range session.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts